Friday is upon us - let the games begin

Started by JudgeDredd, May 22, 2015, 03:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought and am playing Regency Solitaire.  That's right, I'm secretly a foppish dandy at heart.

JasonPratt

Oh, I can admit something worse than that, SDR.

A few years ago I bought Fairy Solitaire.

For the PC.

And played it.

For several days.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

I have Faerie Solitaire. It's rather good actually. :P

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 25, 2015, 03:04:21 AM
I have Faerie Solitaire. It's rather good actually. :P

That's fairy solitaire and the Eurovision song contest in one weekend huw

Don't make me come down there!!

W8taminute

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 25, 2015, 03:04:21 AM
I have Faerie Solitaire. It's rather good actually. :P

That's a faerie good assessment of the game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Just got in last night about mid-night from a week in the lovely state of Arizona, where I very nearly froze my ass off. 35 Degrees, rain, wind, even hail, at the Grand Canyon no less!?! Anyway, a great trip to see family and the scenery. But after a week of no games or Grogs, I'm needing a real gaming fix even if I have to go back to Pong. And a manly drink along with some good food. And a nap. To plan my gaming itinerary.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

We're having ribs and beer for dinner, then some Order of Battle: Pacific. We'll leave a light on for you.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

A new version of Ultimate Mod 5 for Birth of the Federation was just released two days ago, so I've been playing the hell out of that. 

Started a campaign as the Dominion, and holy crap did I strike gold!  Encountered two minor races with frickin' HUGE star systems (meaning lots of population and production, which is good).  The first race I encountered (the T'lani) is perfectly placed to extend my range to the galactic southeast, which is where the majority of any future expansion would take place (I started in the northwest corner of the map).  The second race (the Tellarites) have an even larger system; combined with their race-specific structure which grants them a big boost to production, they'll be my primary shipbuilding world...as soon I convince them to join me.  :D 




Quote from: Sir Slash on May 25, 2015, 01:06:20 PM
Just got in last night about mid-night from a week in the lovely state of Arizona, where I very nearly froze my ass off. 35 Degrees, rain, wind, even hail, at the Grand Canyon no less!?! Anyway, a great trip to see family and the scenery. But after a week of no games or Grogs, I'm needing a real gaming fix even if I have to go back to Pong. And a manly drink along with some good food. And a nap. To plan my gaming itinerary.
Welcome back Sir Slash!  Glad you had a good time.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on May 25, 2015, 01:24:51 PM
We're having ribs and beer for dinner, then some Order of Battle: Pacific. We'll leave a light on for you.

Nice!  Just finished grilling burgers and corn on the cob.  We're done eating and now I'm getting ready for a night of gaming before going back to work tomorrow. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Got very far in my plans on Take Command 2's 1st Bull Run mod, about half of which has now been updated in the AAR here at Grogheads. So that was nice. :)

Not sure what I'll play tonight at the end of the 3day weekend. Something bangzoomy? Maybe back to working on FarCry3...?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

The wife talked me into taking her son out to Outback for his birthday, so still no gaming fix yet. But I got steak and drinks so I ain't bitching.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

Last weekend, I picked up Order of Battle: Pacific. Good game, entertaining, and something I'll play now and again. Just a bit light for my typical tastes. It did rekindle my interest in the PTO in WWII however, something I haven't spent much time on in over 30 years but was a bit of an obsession in my youth.

That reminded me that I had Rising Sun as part of John Tiller's Campaign Series but hadn't played it. Started a solo game of that and soon had Cyrano roped into a PBEM game.

OoB:P also takes a stab at naval warfare but it does so in a pretty abstract manner and I wanted to really get into carrier ops. So, that called for Naval Campaigns: Midway and I played that a good bit of last week and this weekend.

Of course, Jim pointed me to JTS/HPS Pacific War and The Proud and the Few which I of course had to have, so that he and I could play those PBEM, as well. So I added those to my collection this weekend. Spent a couple hours modding them so they'd look just right for me when we get around to playing...

You can see where this is going, can't you? You can see the slippery slope, and we all know that an obsession with the PTO only ends up in one place. There's no escaping it if you're really, truly obsessed and have started reading campaign histories and the like. At some point, commanding ground forces or a single carrier task force just isn't enough. You want to be Nimitz. You want to try your hand at the operations you're reading about.

Sometime last year I bought War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It was on sale. I wasn't sure I'd ever play it but how could I pass up a monster $80 game that was selling for $50?

All weekend it's been whispering to me. Teasing me, taunting me...seducing me with it's dark appeal. I know it eats lives. I know it has reduced strong men to tears and broken up families. I fought. I stood my ground. I played turn after turn of CM:BS PBEM to take my mind off of it. But...at the same time, between turns, I'd watch a few minutes of Youtube Let's Play and tutorial videos of WitP:AE or read a few Matrix forum posts. What could it hurt? I mean, I was sure the sheer complexity of the game would soon have me shaking my head in disgust.  Play that? When I have so many more accessible games to play?

Only, it started to seem accessible. It didn't seem that tough, or all that complicated, at least for the smaller scenarios. It looked interesting. It looked like it would be a fit companion for those campaign histories I was reading. The more I watched, the more it looked like fun.

So I loaded it up tonight, and started playing. Those wiser than I will know the rest: I am lost. I must play this game. I must master it, understand it and finally, play the Grand Campaign. I may only  be playing Coral Sea right now but I am already consumed with the need to play the entire Pacific War, at a turn resolution of one day per turn. To take the war from the smoking ruins of Pearl Harbor all the way to Tokyo. To lead the mighty American carrier fleets to victory...and then turn around and win the war for Japan.

I hope my fate can be a warning to others. Beware that monster game you buy but think you'll never play. Someday it will rise from the deep to claim you.


;)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on May 25, 2015, 02:15:38 PM
A new version of Ultimate Mod 5 for Birth of the Federation was just released two days ago, so I've been playing the hell out of that. 

Great to hear...so what's new in the mod?

Cheers

KyzBP

Quote from: panzerde on May 25, 2015, 10:45:49 PM


Sometime last year I bought War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. It was on sale. I wasn't sure I'd ever play it but how could I pass up a monster $80 game that was selling for $50?

All weekend it's been whispering to me. Teasing me, taunting me...seducing me with it's dark appeal. I know it eats lives. I know it has reduced strong men to tears and broken up families. I fought. I stood my ground. I played turn after turn of CM:BS PBEM to take my mind off of it. But...at the same time, between turns, I'd watch a few minutes of Youtube Let's Play and tutorial videos of WitP:AE or read a few Matrix forum posts. What could it hurt? I mean, I was sure the sheer complexity of the game would soon have me shaking my head in disgust.  Play that? When I have so many more accessible games to play?

Only, it started to seem accessible. It didn't seem that tough, or all that complicated, at least for the smaller scenarios. It looked interesting. It looked like it would be a fit companion for those campaign histories I was reading. The more I watched, the more it looked like fun.

So I loaded it up tonight, and started playing. Those wiser than I will know the rest: I am lost. I must play this game. I must master it, understand it and finally, play the Grand Campaign. I may only  be playing Coral Sea right now but I am already consumed with the need to play the entire Pacific War, at a turn resolution of one day per turn. To take the war from the smoking ruins of Pearl Harbor all the way to Tokyo. To lead the mighty American carrier fleets to victory...and then turn around and win the war for Japan.

I hope my fate can be a warning to others. Beware that monster game you buy but think you'll never play. Someday it will rise from the deep to claim you.


;)

I'm in a similar situation with the same game.  If you want to do a PBEM to tackle this beast against an equally amateur opponent let me know.  I've never played the Japanese side but might be willing to try. :uglystupid2: