Graviteam's Steel Armor Blaze of War returns

Started by Krabb, March 02, 2015, 10:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

Asid, just want publicly thank you for everything you do to help people out with games like SABOW and Steel Beasts. You're a huge asset to this forum and the wargaming community in general.

Thanks man  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Asid

Quote from: mirth on May 25, 2015, 05:31:18 PM
Asid, just want publicly thank you for everything you do to help people out with games like SABOW and Steel Beasts. You're a huge asset to this forum and the wargaming community in general.

Thanks man  O0

Thank you for the kind words mirth :)

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

-budd-

Hey Asid,...Questions :D

I'm playing Steel Armor and i am confused by the controls[graviteam, go figure] I have the latest manual from GG dated 4/29/15, the controls from this manual don't match the in game controls in the option menu. For an example the in game controls in the option menu say spacebar gives you the orders menu, when in fact its fire at will when i play. Am i in the wrong mode? I can seem to get the orders menu to come up. Another question, the manual mentions "active defense" and mentions an active defense interface which i have yet to see, where you can order your units to look for hull down positions. I also can't figure out when i'm giving orders to a single tank or a platoon, when i look in the menu options it says orders by platoon. Do i have to give some platoon orders using the operations map? Sometimes the whole platoon honors the orders other times just the tank i'm in.....I've got to be missing something.
Here's a shot of the page of the manual that mentions Active defense, i don't see any of those icons.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Asid

Hi Budd

I am using the Steam version so my version is slightly ahead. My manual is 3rd May 2015. Also if you look in the folder you will find a controls PDF called "03_controls". This is located here: Steel Armor Blaze of War\docs\support.

The Spacebar = Quick orders pop-up.
This works in the F10 map view. It brings up a menu once the unit is selected. Select the unit and right clicking the mouse button achieves the same result.

Active defense
The tank will take cover relative to the active target that you are engaging. That is once you have designated the target. To activate it just press the "9" key once you have an active target.

Also there is a mission called "Active defence" in the "missions" menu on the main screen.

Orders to a tank or platoon/single tank
The orders bar in 3D view runs along the bottom of the screen. There is an icon 4th from the left. It is 3 silhouettes this means the orders are to all tanks in the platoon. Right click this icon and it turns to 1 silhouette this means you are giving orders to 1 tank. You can also hold the "Shift" key while issuing orders and you will see the central figure in the silhouette turns blue. This means you are issuing orders to the one tank. Your own.


Also, In the "game settings menu" I suggest you change option 10.05 "change view to horizon". Change this to 100 or 150% and 200% if your PC allows. This allows you to see a greater distance.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help. I can be reached on TeamSpeak and i find this can expedite the resolution of "issues".

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

jomni

#64
Stop reading the manual and just do the tutorials.
Keep doing them until you win all engagements.
Just check out the Controls page in Settings for details.
And ask here if you have any more questions.

Pete Dero

Quote from: mirth on May 25, 2015, 05:31:18 PM
Asid, just want publicly thank you for everything you do to help people out with games like SABOW and Steel Beasts. You're a huge asset to this forum and the wargaming community in general.

Thanks man  O0

+1  and thanks for the info on the Steel Fury mod.

Asid

SABOW

To gain hands on experience.
Select "Battle Editor" from the main menu.
Select "Quick battle settings"
Option 2 "Enemy side". Set it as "Target". They will not return fire. This way you can practice without the annoyance of getting killed.....

Hope this helps

regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 27, 2015, 02:46:00 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 25, 2015, 05:31:18 PM
Asid, just want publicly thank you for everything you do to help people out with games like SABOW and Steel Beasts. You're a huge asset to this forum and the wargaming community in general.

Thanks man  O0

+1  and thanks for the info on the Steel Fury mod.

No problem :)

Don't forget the GMP missions. They add a lot to SFK42

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Asid on May 27, 2015, 12:17:54 PM
SABOW

To gain hands on experience.
Select "Battle Editor" from the main menu.
Select "Quick battle settings"
Option 2 "Enemy side". Set it as "Target". They will not return fire. This way you can practice without the annoyance of getting killed.....

Hope this helps

regards

Awesome pro-tip! Thanks!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


-budd-

Quote from: Asid on May 26, 2015, 10:12:40 PM
Hi Budd

I am using the Steam version so my version is slightly ahead. My manual is 3rd May 2015. Also if you look in the folder you will find a controls PDF called "03_controls". This is located here: Steel Armor Blaze of War\docs\support.

The Spacebar = Quick orders pop-up.
This works in the F10 map view. It brings up a menu once the unit is selected. Select the unit and right clicking the mouse button achieves the same result.

Active defense
The tank will take cover relative to the active target that you are engaging. That is once you have designated the target. To activate it just press the "9" key once you have an active target.

Also there is a mission called "Active defence" in the "missions" menu on the main screen.

Orders to a tank or platoon/single tank
The orders bar in 3D view runs along the bottom of the screen. There is an icon 4th from the left. It is 3 silhouettes this means the orders are to all tanks in the platoon. Right click this icon and it turns to 1 silhouette this means you are giving orders to 1 tank. You can also hold the "Shift" key while issuing orders and you will see the central figure in the silhouette turns blue. This means you are issuing orders to the one tank. Your own.


Also, In the "game settings menu" I suggest you change option 10.05 "change view to horizon". Change this to 100 or 150% and 200% if your PC allows. This allows you to see a greater distance.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help. I can be reached on TeamSpeak and i find this can expedite the resolution of "issues".

Regards

thx for the replies. I have the GG version and have the april 15 patch installed, I don't see anything about missions on the main screen? Is that a mod?
here's what my main screen looks like.


Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

GG didn't have the lastest patch. I downloaded and installed from graviteam forums, the missions tab is there now. I'll check the control doc now maybe thats updated also, thx again.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Asid

#71
Quote from: -budd- on May 27, 2015, 05:57:54 PM
thx for the replies. I have the GG version and have the april 15 patch installed, I don't see anything about missions on the main screen? Is that a mod?

Hi budd
Latest GG version is May 2015b here: http://graviteam.com/SABOW/sabow_may15b_patch_eng.gt2extension

No Mods

Install the latest update by logging into your GG account.

Main screen. Version May 2015


Missions menu


The defense mission was introduced in the April 2015b patch.
Patch notes April 2015b for GamersGate version.

14) - 32) are new this patch

1) Modified and redesigned missions from "Instant Action" mode, added training elements.
2) Added the mission driving T-62 tank.
3) Changed sounds for MGs fire for M60 tank.
4) Direction indicators for gun and hull moved to the back of the indicator area.
5) Added a smoke generators for M60A1 and T-62 tanks on the driver's seat and the corresponding command to the commander.
6) Ability to turn on smoke generation for M60A1, T-62 and T-55 tanks for few minutes in the tactical interface.
7) Added automatic alignment of the commander's turret on M60 tank during the transition to the stowed position.
8 ) Ability to use the variable thickness for sight reticles depending on the zoom.
9) Changed a view system for M60 tank commander, added additional poses in the cockpit.
10) The display of the "ceasefire" query in the combat interface.
11) Slightly optimized visualization for smoke and dust.
12) Added new commands in combat interface.
13) Changes in User Guide.
14) Added the [Delete] button to cancel the selected target from the commander.
15) Added setting the priority target by clicking [LMB]/[MMB] in the center of sight (binoculars) for the commander and gunner.
16) Changed some icons in the combat interface.
17) Added clickable area for the M60 tank commander for switching to the main turret controlling mode.
18) Added hotkey [\|] to activate the menu of crew commands.
19) Different effects on detonation of ammunition and ignition of the fuel/charges.
20) Ability to close the hatch on the current seat (button [P]).
21) Added highlighting the center of the view, to set targets without cursor mode.
22) Display for enabled smoke generator.
23) Added an order for the commander and gunner to switch to active defense mode (hold [ 0]).
24) Added an order for the commander and gunner to switch to active defense with respect to the priority targets (hold [9] ).
25) Added a command [ U] to set/change the point on the route of active defense.
26) Added a command [K] to turn the tank/formation directly on the priority target.
27) Added the single missions menu.
28) Hatches with attached preiscopes are automatically closed when crewmember get inside the tank.
29) Fixed a bug with a closed wedge at the first loading of the projectile.
30) Fixed bugs related to the dynamic time deceleration and decreased rate of fire for the machine guns in the simulator mode.
31) Added a single mission explains the principle of a smoke shield order.
32) Added a single mission explains the use of active defense mode.

However the latest is May 2015b

Hope this helps

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

jomni

#72
Whoa! Air Strike is new. Gotta play that.
I'm playing the Iran campaign now.  Finished and won the Cuba one but quite sloppy.

jomni

#73
I know what SABOT and HEAT rounds are but what is best to use in SABOW?   The lack or reactive and thick armor on the tanks in this game makes me think HEAT is preferred.  They can potentially do more damage and there is visual feedback.  I've been poking SABOTs on targets and don't know if I got them or not.  But it seems to be different in SB Pro. SABOT seems to be more effective.  Am I right? Also I can't seem to do one-shot-kills in this game.  Is it characteristic of tank battles during the era? Something like a glorified WW2 tank battle.

I played the air strike mission. The sight of two MiG-23 making passes is amazing.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18