Graviteam's Steel Armor Blaze of War returns

Started by Krabb, March 02, 2015, 10:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asid

Hi Jomni

I thought I had replied but it must not have sent   >:( ...It was a longer reply. This is the shortened version. Apologies.

You can check the in-game encyclopedia. This will give you all the figures. For example armour thickness and penetration values.

I find in SABOW that SABOT rounds tend to ricochet more than HEAT. There are many factors involved as you know. Distance to target, angle and location  to name a few. The tanks in SABOW are circa 1970 and as such do not have the armour associated with modern tanks such as Chobham or Reactive. This  means that HEAT is very effective against tanks in SABOW. SABOT tends to pass right through while HEAT sends molten metal into the vehicle killing the crew. The SABOT round also travels faster. However the HEAT round keeps its effectiveness over greater distances.

1 shot kill
To get a 1 shot kill is difficult. You have to hit at the correct location with the most potent round at the correct angle. You may disable the crew or tank but 
not entirely destroy it.


I use
HE against infantry
SABOT/HEAT against PC's (HEAT usually first choice)
SABOT/HEAT against tanks (SABOT usually first choice and depending on enemy orientation)
So SABOT against hard armour & HEAT against softer armour.

Steel Beasts
Steel Beasts models various rounds from different eras with greater penetration values. Depleted Uranium is a big help here. SB also models different types of 
armour which is designed in varying degrees of effectiveness to counter projectile threats which reduces the effects of a HEAT round. You can score a 1 shot kill in SB depending on where you hit the vehicle, what you hit it with and at what distance you engaged.

Hope this helps

regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

SirAndrewD

I've owned this game for a long time.  I'm on vacation, maybe I should actually install and play it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Asid

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2015, 01:45:05 PM
I've owned this game for a long time.  I'm on vacation, maybe I should actually install and play it.

Update it and enjoy :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Asid on May 29, 2015, 01:45:48 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2015, 01:45:05 PM
I've owned this game for a long time.  I'm on vacation, maybe I should actually install and play it.

Update it and enjoy :)

Going to finally give it a try.  I got it a long time ago on a holiday sale with blue coins.  I saw the release of Across the Rhine on Steam and relived my deep disappointment at that title, so I've got the itch for a good armor sim. 

Any other tips for a newbie?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Asid

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Any other tips for a newbie?

In Options menu change following.:
4.23 Unit color on the operational map = NATO
This will allow you to be Blue and enemy Red. Most are used to this way

5.01 Always show enemy = enabled
This will allow you to see the enemy on the map and easily find/engage while you are learning

8.12 show distance and LOS = enabled
Great tool in the map view. You will have a good idea of LOS

10.05 Change distance to horizon = 100% +
Default is 75% which is too restrictive. More means you see more and enemy earlier but can hit F.P.S.

10.07 Automatic start of subsystems
Make it easy on yourself when learning. You will not have to turn systems on and off.

10.12 Realistic control restriction disabled
This will allow you to jump to map view no matter what crew position you are in. Otherwise you will have to always switch back to Commander before accessing the map.


To gain hands on experience.
Select "Battle Editor" from the main menu.
Select "Quick battle settings"
Option 2 "Enemy side". Set it as "Target". They will not return fire. This way you can practice without the annoyance of getting killed.....

Practice in the battle editor.

Hope this helps :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

jomni

Quote from: Asid on May 29, 2015, 01:44:49 PM
Hi Jomni

I thought I had replied but it must not have sent   >:( ...It was a longer reply. This is the shortened version. Apologies.

You can check the in-game encyclopedia. This will give you all the figures. For example armour thickness and penetration values.

I find in SABOW that SABOT rounds tend to ricochet more than HEAT. There are many factors involved as you know. Distance to target, angle and location  to name a few. The tanks in SABOW are circa 1970 and as such do not have the armour associated with modern tanks such as Chobham or Reactive. This  means that HEAT is very effective against tanks in SABOW. SABOT tends to pass right through while HEAT sends molten metal into the vehicle killing the crew. The SABOT round also travels faster. However the HEAT round keeps its effectiveness over greater distances.

1 shot kill
To get a 1 shot kill is difficult. You have to hit at the correct location with the most potent round at the correct angle. You may disable the crew or tank but 
not entirely destroy it.


I use
HE against infantry
SABOT/HEAT against PC's (HEAT usually first choice)
SABOT/HEAT against tanks (SABOT usually first choice and depending on enemy orientation)
So SABOT against hard armour & HEAT against softer armour.

Steel Beasts
Steel Beasts models various rounds from different eras with greater penetration values. Depleted Uranium is a big help here. SB also models different types of 
armour which is designed in varying degrees of effectiveness to counter projectile threats which reduces the effects of a HEAT round. You can score a 1 shot kill in SB depending on where you hit the vehicle, what you hit it with and at what distance you engaged.

Hope this helps

regards

Thanks.  That confirms my suspicion.

Asid

Patch - June 18th 2015 Steam

•   Fixed several bugs lead to errors in the game on some configurations.
•   Fixed bug with wrong display of flags in the 3D mode in the deployment/initial orders modes.
•   Fixed a bug with infinite rotation of the commander's cupola on M60 tank due to switch to another tank.
•   New mission: Tank riders.
•   Sectors on the map shows depends on tactical information display button.
•   New orders to control an infantry elements of the user platoon.
•   Added infantry and motor infantry squads to reserves pools of a tank platoons in quick battles.
•   New mission: Artillery.
•   A number of minor changes and bug fixes.
•   User's manual is updated.


Hotfix - June 19th 2015 Steam

Fixed shell hit SFX.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Patch June 2015 is now available for GamersGate version.

http://graviteam.com/patches.html

1) Fixed several bugs lead to errors in the game on some configurations.
2) Fixed bug with wrong display of flags in the 3D mode in the deployment/initial orders modes.
3) Fixed a bug with infinite rotation of the commander's cupola on M60 tank due to switch to another tank.
4) New mission: Tank riders.
5) Sectors on the map shows depends on tactical information display button.
6) New orders to control an infantry elements of the user platoon.
7) Added infantry and motor infantry squads to reserves pools of a tank platoons in quick battles.
8 ) New mission: Artillery.
9) A number of minor changes and bug fixes.
10) User's manual is updated.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Asid

#84
Feature in SABOW. Your tired troops can hitch a ride

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Asid

The troops mounting is not new. The tutorial mission in SABOW is. Just to make things clear.

SABOW is an excellent sim  O0
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

jomni

Quote from: Asid on June 21, 2015, 11:30:07 AM
The troops mounting is not new. The tutorial mission in SABOW is. Just to make things clear.

SABOW is an excellent sim  O0

Yes not new. I killed a South African tank with mounted troops and they all burned.

mirth

Quote from: jomni on June 21, 2015, 08:18:13 PM
Quote from: Asid on June 21, 2015, 11:30:07 AM
The troops mounting is not new. The tutorial mission in SABOW is. Just to make things clear.

SABOW is an excellent sim  O0

Yes not new. I killed a South African tank with mounted troops and they all burned.

I've killed mounted troops in sooooo many games - video, tabletop. Their screams haunt me...
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying