Is there a "Battlecruiser 3000AD" sim about?

Started by JudgeDredd, May 27, 2015, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cougar_DK

I got banned for 10 days from the official forum, because I asked why the game stuttered when walking around the exterior hull of my Battlecruiser. He told me in a rather rash language that even though it was possible I was not supposed to do it.... I asked why...and baaam, banned.

But I will give him one thing, the scale of his games was impressive. See these pictures from Universial Combat (2004): http://www.twins4ever.dk/cougarscorner/index.php/topic/31-uc/
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jarhead0331

Derek Smart is his own worst enemy. Had he been humble, friendly, open to constructive criticism, I think many would have supported him, success or failure. However, his attitude was just so completely off-putting and over the top, that most ended up not wanting to even take the time to explore his games.  Any enjoyment or accomplishment that may have come from playing his games was always overshadowed by his nasty negative attitude.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Quote from: Cougar_DK on May 30, 2015, 04:19:03 PM
I got banned for 10 days from the official forum, because I asked why the game stuttered when walking around the exterior hull of my Battlecruiser. He told me in a rather rash language that even though it was possible I was not supposed to do it.... I asked why...and baaam, banned.

But I will give him one thing, the scale of his games was impressive. See these pictures from Universial Combat (2004): http://www.twins4ever.dk/cougarscorner/index.php/topic/31-uc/

Hard to believe that link is 11 years old.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Greybriar

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2015, 04:37:07 PM
Derek Smart is his own worst enemy. Had he been humble, friendly, open to constructive criticism, I think many would have supported him, success or failure. However, his attitude was just so completely off-putting and over the top, that most ended up not wanting to even take the time to explore his games.  Any enjoyment or accomplishment that may have come from playing his games was always overshadowed by his nasty negative attitude.

+1
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JudgeDredd

It wasn't just him. IIRC he had a shite load of sycophants on the forums
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 30, 2015, 04:46:31 PM
It wasn't just him. IIRC he had a shite load of sycophants on the forums

I wouldn't describe it as a shite load. More like three. Three utter and complete ass kissers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 30, 2015, 04:46:31 PM
It wasn't just him. IIRC he had a shite load of sycophants on the forums

Sycophancy was the only way you got to stay on the forum!

I was banned as well, once.  I think it was because I said it was silly that, in FPS mode, you couldn't look straight up.  I think the bellend called it a limitation of the space helmet or something (rather than a limitation of his stupid engine).

But anyway.  Yeah, I'm always happy to dogpile Derek Smart.  Sometimes when his name is mentioned a few people will remark that it's fashionable to hate him.  No.  This is one person who thoroughly deserves it.  He's a piece of shit.

Arctic Blast

He actually does have interesting things to say from time to time on Twitter or Gamasutra these days, but yeah...the ego has not exactly left the building.  ;D

SirAndrewD

The guy had crazy charisma and bold ideas.  My mistake was buying into his ideas prior to the release of BC 3000AD.  I remember sitting in the quad between classes at Auburn, with a printed out, 30 plus page design document off usenet where Smart was describing all the amazing, intricate things you could do with his upcoming game. 

Of course none of those things were in Battlecruiser 3000AD.  It was really the only only game in which a CTD screen should've been included as a screenshot on the back cover of the packaging.

Back to the original topic though, I think Star Citizen is the closest thing to what Smart was attempting to accomplish all those years ago.  While I have my issues with Star Citizen's development, I trust Chris Roberts far, far more than I do Dr. Smart.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2015, 04:40:20 PM
Quote from: Cougar_DK on May 30, 2015, 04:19:03 PM
I got banned for 10 days from the official forum, because I asked why the game stuttered when walking around the exterior hull of my Battlecruiser. He told me in a rather rash language that even though it was possible I was not supposed to do it.... I asked why...and baaam, banned.

But I will give him one thing, the scale of his games was impressive. See these pictures from Universial Combat (2004): http://www.twins4ever.dk/cougarscorner/index.php/topic/31-uc/

Hard to believe that link is 11 years old.

Hi JH,

Not sure what you mean?


Its a little fun to read the text again after all these years, not that easy to impress any more ;)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

JudgeDredd

Thanks all.

As I suspected - no. Not with all the elements (but less CTD).

I'll keep my eye on Star Citizen. It looks great and I'm enthused by what I've seen and read (snippets) but after my initial incredible level of enthusiasm with Elite being substantially diminished I'll hold off and see how it pans out.

I've by no means given up on Elite and like others very much looking forward to the Power Play addition.

It's just I loved the Battlecruiser 3000AD concept. Someone on here mentioned it - managing a star ship and it's ancillary units is far more appealing than flying as a solo jock.

I guess the only thing coming close is Carrier Command - but it's too simplistic, not in space, kind of just "head to head" against the AI and from what I recall has a poor AI (enemy and friendly). Maybe I'll give it a look.

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Cougar_DK on May 30, 2015, 11:28:17 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2015, 04:40:20 PM
Quote from: Cougar_DK on May 30, 2015, 04:19:03 PM
I got banned for 10 days from the official forum, because I asked why the game stuttered when walking around the exterior hull of my Battlecruiser. He told me in a rather rash language that even though it was possible I was not supposed to do it.... I asked why...and baaam, banned.

But I will give him one thing, the scale of his games was impressive. See these pictures from Universial Combat (2004): http://www.twins4ever.dk/cougarscorner/index.php/topic/31-uc/

Hard to believe that link is 11 years old.

Hi JH,

Not sure what you mean?


Its a little fun to read the text again after all these years, not that easy to impress any more ;)

Just saying that time flies...also surprised that the post with screenshots is still live after all those years.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Well Carrier Command has 44% on Steam and between 50-60% on Metacritic. I think given that review level tied with the price of £19.99 I'll just hold off.

I think I will pick it up but I'm definitely waiting for it to be at least half price.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Huw the Poo

I think Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is pretty fun, but yeah, probably not worth £20.  The AI never did get fixed.  I doubt it'll scratch this particular itch, either.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 31, 2015, 06:26:58 AM
I think Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is pretty fun, but yeah, probably not worth £20.  The AI never did get fixed.  I doubt it'll scratch this particular itch, either.
Well it has the aspects I would like - but yeah - probably a bit too simplistic and likely quickly repetitive.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people