How many gamers actually finish RPG's

Started by Rayfer, May 24, 2015, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on May 26, 2015, 10:19:49 AM
While those old DOS games you mentioned could be quite brutal, I didn't really notice at the time.  I suppose it was the norm. 

Yes, it was. That was part of the challenge, and what drove my inquisitiveness. My instinct in RPGs today is to check EVERY nook and cranny, even if it means pixel hunting, and that might be part of the feeling I get with, say, Wasteland 2: "Oh boy, that's a big map. I gotta check everything, don't I? Sigh."

Back in the DOS gaming era, there weren't a lot of places to pixel hunt, but there were moments (Quest for Glory comes to mind). I think this just, in turn, helped the devs from Hint Book sales. Goodness knows I bought enough of them. :)

glen55

I'm much more a flavor of the week gamer, but when I do find a big RPG that is worth finishing, it's usually worth finishing more than once, because there are always other classes to try, but generally I don't go to another class until I finish.  I wouldn't be surprised if I finished Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 10 times each.

In addition to the flavor of the week thing, I tend to enjoy the earliest levels best, because you're leveling up faster and going from schmuck in rags to a fighter with decent weapons and armor.  Usually by about 8th level, you have made a really dramatic change.  I like leveling up, getting significantly better gear, and looking better.  Those things typically slow down dramatically by around 15th level.  I'm sure I started Diablo II 100 times.  Finished it once.

I've never made it all the way to the final boss battle and not finished, though.  At that point I'm committed and I don't care how long it takes.  I will suck the internet dry looking for answers, and I'm not above cheating if it's hard enough.

With MMORPGs, I have a serious problem of wanting to play every class.  That's not very compatible with power guild membership.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

ComradeP

I also have the feeling challenge comes mostly from padding enemy health/damage or lessening your own in today's games. I haven't played too many of the old DOS games series mentioned, but from what I understand the challenge came mostly from genuinely challenging design, combined with a not so very user friendly interface when it came to rapid responses (at least that's one area where today's RPG's offer significant improvements as long as they're not console ports).
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

sandman2575

^ ;D


I'm pretty sure the last RPG I actually completed was The Bard's Tale III. No joke.

For me, RPGs are the ultimate "I really should know better" genre. I get a few hours in and then drop them. Or, I spend dozens of precious hours modding (TES, primary culprit) and then barely play.

I really should know better... There are so many other games out there, just waiting to be purchased and neglected...

spelk

Quote from: glen55 on May 26, 2015, 12:23:57 PM
With MMORPGs, I have a serious problem of wanting to play every class.  That's not very compatible with power guild membership.

+++1

Gusington

That above pic is hilarious. It would be moreso if I didn't actually date that girl, once.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

Not me..been playing games since the early eighties and could count on one hand the amount I have finished.

airboy

I guess I'm the odd man out.  I've finished scores of RPGs.  Many RPGs I've completed multiple times.  I really like RPGs, strategy games, strategic level war games and the like.  Most of the reviews I've written I've either played the game to the end or completed 75%+ of the game.

Right now I'm 75%+ through Fantasy General campaign.  I think I've finished 3-4 RPGs this year alone.

glen55

I wouldn't be surprised if I have put 1000 hours into Torchlight & Torchlight 2 - and never completed either one.  Got within about 5 floors of the end of Torchlight, then something interrupted me.

Something always interrupts me, and if I start playing again after a long time away, I simply must start over.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

FarAway Sooner

I've had enough trouble making it to the end of this thread!

I think I finished Loren: Amazon Princess, but that's the only RPG title I've finished in a LONG time.  I must say, though, that a lot of that is because I've found little originality in RPGs in recent years.  Even the games with an engaging story line or story lines (e.g., most of the Star Wars: The Old Republic classes) end up losing interest because of the grinding required.

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 29, 2015, 09:46:09 PM
I've had enough trouble making it to the end of this thread!

  Me too.  I think I skipped something and posted far above.  The strange thing is I kind of like RPGs, though Skyrim was much better than Shadow of Mordor...but I don't think I've ever finished one.  Witcher sounds unpleasant, but I'm sure something will come along along the lines of Skyrim sooner or later.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Just to be clear, I've finished a few others.  Questron in 1984, and Pools of Radiance in 1988, for example...

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 01, 2015, 09:26:56 AM
Yeah.  Just to be clear, I've finished a few others.  Questron in 1984, and Pools of Radiance in 1988, for example...

Okay.  I think I probably did complete Pool of Radiance.

bayonetbrant

I completed the original Wizardry back in the mid-80s
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers