Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition now available at GOG

Started by Martok, June 02, 2015, 03:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Oh nice!

For me it's crap times 2....i am broke and don't have time to play games!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Freyland

Logic dictates they are holding back the sequel to generate money on the first, Captain.

Nefaro

You guys realize that they are releasing the first one now..

Which means the much better SFC2, containing the same and much more, will be out before long.



But if you don't want to wait... you can purchase SFC2: Orion Pirates from Dynaverse.net for around $6.  It has all the extra races, ships, Dynaverse campaign, etc plus slightly improved ship textures & such. 

http://www.dynaverse.net/market/5-star-trek-starfleet-command-orion-pirates.html

I picked up SFC2:OP there within the last 2 months.  Got a key and the digital download.  Runs rock solid on my Win7-64.



Quote from: Freyland on June 02, 2015, 05:49:25 PM
Logic dictates they are holding back the sequel to generate money on the first, Captain.


Yup.

I think GOG is great, but I've seen them do this a few times in the past (holding back a much improved sequel release for awhile to sell the original first).  S'okay, I have patience!



JasonPratt

While I'm going to wait for the sequel (and its expansion -- which my mind swears to me I already have around here somewhere but I can't find it), I do hope the release of the first game in its Gold upgrade state will introduce new fans so that the sequel will sell better. :)

Which is less cynically capitalistic than the other theory, though I don't blame GoG if the other theory is (also?) true. They have to make a living somehow, so they can stay in business and provide us with access to grand old games.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

...this thread is making me want to dig out my copy of SFC 2.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on June 02, 2015, 06:19:55 PM
...this thread is making me want to dig out my copy of SFC 2.

I've not tried to use my old disk for SFC2:EAW but I hear that it's disk check DRM (and possibly other stuff) screws up on Win7/8 64-bit systems for many people. 

That digital download of SFC2:OP works fine for me, however.  Only a serial number entry DRM.  OP was just EAW re-released with some software updates and extra features.  Those must've helped it's compatibility on our modern OSes.



Wish I could find my SFC2:EAW manual.  That thing was excellent.  Back when they gave you thick manuals.  :)  The PDF is easy to find but I'm a Book Sniffer.

SirAndrewD

I'm going to hold on for SFC2.  I never actually played that one. 

Got great memories of SFC1 though.  Lost my virginity the night I purchased the game to a hot Italian girl visiting me from Long Island.  Didn't get to install or play it for a few days since she had most of my attention.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

steve58

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 02, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
I'm going to hold on for SFC2.  I never actually played that one. 

Got great memories of SFC1 though.  Lost my virginity the night I purchased the game to a hot Italian girl visiting me from Long Island.  Didn't get to install or play it for a few days since she had most of my attention.


...hard to resist those Romanulans and their pointy ears, eh?  >:D
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on June 02, 2015, 07:35:43 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 02, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
I'm going to hold on for SFC2.  I never actually played that one. 

Got great memories of SFC1 though.  Lost my virginity the night I purchased the game to a hot Italian girl visiting me from Long Island.  Didn't get to install or play it for a few days since she had most of my attention.


...hard to resist those Romanulans and their pointy ears, eh?  >:D

If you saw the nightie she was wearing....   :D
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 02, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
I'm going to hold on for SFC2.  I never actually played that one. 

Got great memories of SFC1 though.  Lost my virginity the night I purchased the game to a hot Italian girl visiting me from Long Island.  Didn't get to install or play it for a few days since she had most of my attention.

Long Island? What's her name? I'm in Suffolk County.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18