Ride forth to the Weekend (Friday Thread)

Started by Kushan, May 28, 2015, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 05, 2015, 06:49:17 AM
I've been gaming WWII for 25+ years now. What are you nancy boys crying about?

Really!  :P
If I burn out on WWII PC games I just switch to WWII boardgames. Then switch back again.

And what does WWII burnout have to do with trying to con MD into playing CiV with us?!?
I'm with MD though and nights are for a different kind of maneuvers.....  ^-^

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on June 04, 2015, 09:05:34 PM
According to my new math it's about 4am there. Yeah UCG wtf??

It took months to get me to burn out on WWII because I never really gamed it before. It was nice while it lasted...I'll be back :)

lol, i think it was 2am - sometimes sleep eludes me

Tuna

For people born before 70's, World War 2 is our 'Star Wars'. When you're a lil kid movies like Battle of the Bulge and Where Eagles Dare seemed really cool! Then along came Kelly's Heroes, and stepped it up a notch!

BanzaiCat

Yeah, those epic war movies...the ones you mentioned, Tuna, and I'd add Midway, The Longest Day, and A Bridge Too Far to that list...that's not something Hollywood can do anymore. They tried with Pearl Harbor and failed utterly and miserably.

Tuna

Funny, you grow up and find out how really Bad Battle of the Bulge is. But when you were a lil kid, it was like the Rocky of War Movies.

FYI I haven't been playing any WW 2 recently either.

undercovergeek

Torra torra torra still makes a good Sunday afternoon film

MengJiao

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 05, 2015, 06:49:17 AM
I've been gaming WWII for 25+ years now. What are you nancy boys crying about?

  I cry just for the sake of the tears.  But as for WWII.  I started with the Bismarck game in about 1965.  WWII had been over for about 20 years and in New Mexico in those days, it seemed like half the characters one heard about (eg. the principle of the school, or even the fathers of your friends) had survived the Bataan Death March since the New Mexico National Guard had a AA regiment in the Philipines in late 1941.

  So if anything in those days and in Albuquerque WWII seemed if anything too mundane to be very interesting.  Bismarck was more my gaming style since it featured ships.  Other than that I played pirate games and Gettysburg.  Few could face me in Bismarck.

  WWII did not become particular interesting for me until the recent spate of intensely factual books on it began to come out about 20 years ago -- for example, Clay Blair on Uboats and so on.

MetalDog

Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2015, 07:18:26 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 05, 2015, 06:49:17 AM
I've been gaming WWII for 25+ years now. What are you nancy boys crying about?

Really!  :P
If I burn out on WWII PC games I just switch to WWII boardgames. Then switch back again.

And what does WWII burnout have to do with trying to con MD into playing CiV with us?!?
I'm with MD though and nights are for a different kind of maneuvers.....  ^-^

Atta boy, Barthheart!

As for conning me, all I have is Vanilla.  And even if I was to say yes, who wants to play the base game?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 05, 2015, 10:04:35 AM
Torra torra torra still makes a good Sunday afternoon film

There is most definitely a 'must have' dvd-shelf list of classic war movies. Here's a few of my candidates (in no particular order):

A Bridge Too Far
Tora, Tora, Tora
Kelly's Heroes
Murphy's War (still looking for that one on DVD)
the Desert Fox
the Desert Rats
the Blue Max
the War Lover
Battle of Britain
Cross of Iron
Gallipoli

Please feel free to add on...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Staggerwing

^Yeah, that one too.

Another:
Von Ryan's Express (if you can find the book it is a fun read.)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 05, 2015, 09:08:50 PM
^Yeah, that one too.

Another:
Von Ryan's Express (if you can find the book it is a fun read.)

Wow, I haven't read that in ages. I remember my stepdad had the book and I read it and thought it was pretty awesome. That was the story of the US POWs in Italy escaping by train, right? I'll have to look that one up again.

Tuna

Quote from: MetalDog on June 05, 2015, 08:20:08 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2015, 07:18:26 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 05, 2015, 06:49:17 AM
I've been gaming WWII for 25+ years now. What are you nancy boys crying about?

Really!  :P
If I burn out on WWII PC games I just switch to WWII boardgames. Then switch back again.

And what does WWII burnout have to do with trying to con MD into playing CiV with us?!?
I'm with MD though and nights are for a different kind of maneuvers.....  ^-^

Atta boy, Barthheart!

As for conning me, all I have is Vanilla.  And even if I was to say yes, who wants to play the base game?

But I thought the Sunday Morning thing didn't go so well!

Das Boot is awesome!

MetalDog

It didn't really.  Everyone, but one, bailed at least once.  Was pretty disheartening.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tuna

Quote from: MetalDog on June 05, 2015, 10:32:10 PM
It didn't really.  Everyone, but one, bailed at least once.  Was pretty disheartening.

And our night time Warlock and Civ games were a lot of fun!!!.. Get married so you can game more!  :uglystupid2: