have u guys seen the steam controler, and steam console??

Started by gameleaper, June 07, 2015, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper

the steam controller works I think on a desktop PC aswell as a steam machine, the controller has a mouse touchpad and triggers for FPS , and mouse games.

the steam machine is a cross between PC and console, at console price

O seen steamOS a while back, but whats got me buzzing is the controler.

W8taminute

I'm on the fence about getting a Steam Machine.  Originally I was very excited but the way it sounds now on how the various systems are going to work I'll stick to PC gaming on my PC. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

gameleaper

Quote from: W8taminute on June 07, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
I'm on the fence about getting a Steam Machine.  Originally I was very excited but the way it sounds now on how the various systems are going to work I'll stick to PC gaming on my PC.

I think the controller works on both steamOS and Windows, but with a little effort, you can turn your old PC into a steam machine by installing steamOS.

BanzaiCat

I hope I'm not the only one looking at this thing and thinking, "why?" It seems pretty useless, like something you'd find in the Sky Mall magazine.

gameleaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 08, 2015, 06:30:29 AM
I hope I'm not the only one looking at this thing and thinking, "why?" It seems pretty useless, like something you'd find in the Sky Mall magazine.

I keep saying it, BUT look at the controller - its a cross between a gamepad and a mouse, PC gameing on a couch. the controller mousepad is one to one same as a mouse

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 08, 2015, 06:30:29 AM
I hope I'm not the only one looking at this thing and thinking, "why?" It seems pretty useless, like something you'd find in the Sky Mall magazine.

What's useless?  The box itself or the controller?  The recent video showing what the controller can do is actually the first time I've been interested - it does look really good.  However I have to wonder how much time it takes to learn to type like that.

As for the Steambox itself, I still don't know who the target audience is.  Anyone who already does their gaming on a desktop or powerful laptop surely isn't going to care much for them?  That leaves casuals - not at these prices! - and console gamers.  Now I have seen the occasional comment from console gamers saying that they find it difficult to "get into" PC gaming and they may be interested in a Steam box.  But that must be a very small proportion of the console gamer market overall.  Will they really be tempted to buy yet another machine at a similar price, and still maintain their Sony/Microsoft consoles for all the console exclusives and ecosystems?  I just don't see it.

gameleaper

The Machine is a Linux setup you can setup for yourself from an old PC, based on a core Linux distro. I can only imagine its a safe way to buy steam games via the steamOS. The machine can be made more powerfull than any console if you do it yourself, the only downside is no windows games will run. A standardised PC machine that updates itself and patched games all by itself Is nice. I do like the idea of an easy life using a PC though.

Jarhead0331

I think this is going to appeal to a crowd that always dreamed of playing their PC games on a 65" flat screen TV. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


fabius

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2015, 08:54:39 AM
I think this is going to appeal to a crowd that always dreamed of playing their PC games on a 65" flat screen TV.

Have not seen the prices, but yes, decent box to play game on the big TV when that is fee has its appeal.

gameleaper

#9
I recently installed LINUX on an external hard drive, then I just chose where to boot from USB or C: Its very easy to erase your PC if you write anything to C: at install time so readup, but I found it easy all in all. so my main PC was Linux or Windows, you can dual boot too.

RyanE

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2015, 08:54:39 AM
I think this is going to appeal to a crowd that always dreamed of playing their PC games on a 65" flat screen TV.

OK, I'll bite...why can't they do that today.  Granted mine is only 47", but I play stuff from my laptop and surface on it all the time through HDMI.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: gameleaper on June 08, 2015, 08:46:02 AM
The Machine is a Linux setup you can setup for yourself from an old PC, based on a core Linux distro. I can only imagine its a safe way to buy steam games via the steamOS. The machine can be made more powerfull than any console if you do it yourself, the only downside is no windows games will run. A standardised PC machine that updates itself and patched games all by itself Is nice. I do like the idea of an easy life using a PC though.

But, again, this is only going to appeal to those who already have decent desktops/laptops.  What you've described is another reason not to buy a Steambox!

gameleaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 08, 2015, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on June 08, 2015, 08:46:02 AM
The Machine is a Linux setup you can setup for yourself from an old PC, based on a core Linux distro. I can only imagine its a safe way to buy steam games via the steamOS. The machine can be made more powerfull than any console if you do it yourself, the only downside is no windows games will run. A standardised PC machine that updates itself and patched games all by itself Is nice. I do like the idea of an easy life using a PC though.

But, again, this is only going to appeal to those who already have decent desktops/laptops.  What you've described is another reason not to buy a Steambox!

Im not really going to buy a steambox, but the controller may be limited on a normal pc

Pete Dero

full article : http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/5/8733139/valve-steam-machine-half-baked

Instead of offering the best of both worlds, Steam Machines sit in a strange middle ground that's too confusing and too compromised to make sense for anyone.

The Steam Machine is an exciting idea, but that's all it is. Don't pay for mere potential.

gameleaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 08, 2015, 10:23:52 AM
full article : http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/5/8733139/valve-steam-machine-half-baked

Instead of offering the best of both worlds, Steam Machines sit in a strange middle ground that's too confusing and too compromised to make sense for anyone.

The Steam Machine is an exciting idea, but that's all it is. Don't pay for mere potential.


thx Pete,