Main Menu

Gal Civ II question

Started by Tuna, June 02, 2015, 11:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tuna

Tempted to pick this up because it's on sale at GamersGate for 10 bucks... Question, do you have any 'control' during the space battles? Can you tell which targets a ship should engage, can you choose what ordinance is used at what time. I was watching a long Let's Play video on Youtube and I started skipping ahead to try and find a battle, lol, and no luck!

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Martok

You have no control over battles at all, no. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tuna

Still recommend the game though? Or should I wait till there's a Gal Civ III sale?

sandman2575

Just my impression after having played GalCiv3 for a few hours -- it's really similar to GalCiv2. Obviously it looks prettier, but that's kinda it -- feels like the 'advances' are all cosmetic.

Fully tricked out GalCiv2 "ultimate edition" or whatever remains IMO a very solid 4X game. Plus there is a high-res mod to up the prettiness factor (if that matters to you).

I'd wait for a sale on GalCiv3 if I were on the fence.  I bought GalCiv3 at 50% discount during the Steam winter sale (still early access then, of course), and I'm glad I didn't drop more $$ on it than that...

Martok

Quote from: Tuna on June 02, 2015, 02:11:54 PM
Still recommend the game though?
For that price, yes.  Despite the lack of tactical combat and a somewhat murky economic system, it's a decent space 4x title.  And the two expansions (which the Ultimate Edition includes) add a lot to the game. 



Quote from: Tuna on June 02, 2015, 02:11:54 PM
Or should I wait till there's a Gal Civ III sale?
I would only wait for a GC3 sale if you're also willing to wait for its own "ultimate" edition including all expansions/DLC (that's what I plan to do)...which I'm sure won't happen for at least a few years.  ;) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on June 02, 2015, 03:31:44 PM
Quote from: Tuna on June 02, 2015, 02:11:54 PM
Still recommend the game though?
For that price, yes.  Despite the lack of tactical combat and a somewhat murky economic system, it's a decent space 4x title.  And the two expansions (which the Ultimate Edition includes) add a lot to the game. 



Quote from: Tuna on June 02, 2015, 02:11:54 PM
Or should I wait till there's a Gal Civ III sale?
I would only wait for a GC3 sale if you're also willing to wait for its own "ultimate" edition including all expansions/DLC (that's what I plan to do)...which I'm sure won't happen for at least a few years.  ;)

I am with Martok here...GalCiv 2 ultimate will give you months of gameplay...and it will also show you if GalCiv 3 might be interesting for you as the gameplay is very similar.

Tuna

K thanks guys, I think I'll grab it!  8)

Tuna

When I did the install on my Gaming PC, I had to activate with Stardock.

Now I'm on my son's Laptop upstairs and it wants me to Activate again. Does anyone know what the limits are on activations? I'm only using this laptop while he's home from College for the summer, I don't want to 'waste' an activation on it, if it's a very small limit (kind of stinks when yo have to activate something on Steam, isn't Steam DRM enough)!.

Martok

Quote from: Tuna on June 06, 2015, 08:42:53 AM
When I did the install on my Gaming PC, I had to activate with Stardock.

Now I'm on my son's Laptop upstairs and it wants me to Activate again. Does anyone know what the limits are on activations? I'm only using this laptop while he's home from College for the summer, I don't want to 'waste' an activation on it, if it's a very small limit (kind of stinks when yo have to activate something on Steam, isn't Steam DRM enough)!.
My memory is extremely fuzzy on this, Tuna -- it's been a while since I remember reading up on the subject -- so you'll want to take my words with a HUGE grain of salt (seriously, you might want to just ask about this on the GalCiv/Stardock forums)... 

But what I (very vaguely) recall is that installing the game on multiple machines/devices within your place of residence does not count toward whatever activation limit exists.  I seem to remember Brad saying something along the lines that he didn't feel a person should be forced to purchase a game multiple times simply so they could play said game in more than location in their house/apartment/whatever...and that he felt similarly about the same situation applying toward activation limits. 


Again, this is all based on something I vaguely remember Brad saying at least 2-3 years ago, so you don't want to take what I say here as gospel.  But I do at least believe it's something along those lines. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tuna

Thanks.. I was searching their forums but didn't find a definite answer.. Well my laptop died.. So I can't see myself wanting to install it on 'too' many other machines unless I get a new laptop. So I guess I'll take a chance.

Funny thing I don't remember having to register Fallen Enchantress, in fact I just created my ID when I installed Gal Civ on my gaming PC.. Unless I used my son's ID for FE.. lol.. who knows..  But really once you're on Steam, a company should nix their own DRM!


Martok

Quote from: Tuna on June 07, 2015, 03:20:21 PMBut really once you're on Steam, a company should nix their own DRM!
You're preaching to the choir.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces