have u guys seen the steam controler, and steam console??

Started by gameleaper, June 07, 2015, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

I guess I just don't get what the point is. Unless it's just some hipster thing to do, like Google Glass - something that might seem like a cool idea but is in reality not all that impressive. I agree in general with the reviewer; the largest section of their audience are PC gamers, whom technically already own PCs.

I mean, if you want a freakin' console, buy a PS4, Xbox, or whatever.

I suppose if you cannot afford a computer, this is the way to go if you really, really want to play PC games. It will be interesting to see if this takes off, I'll admit. But from my perspective it makes zero sense to buy this if you have a PC that runs games well enough.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 08, 2015, 03:09:08 PM
I suppose if you cannot afford a computer, this is the way to go if you really, really want to play PC games. It will be interesting to see if this takes off, I'll admit. But from my perspective it makes zero sense to buy this if you have a PC that runs games well enough.

I think the cheapest I've seen is around $450.  I gather that PCs are cheaper in the USA than here...can't you get a gaming PC for that price?  Most Steamboxes seem to be more expensive than that, too.

As for it taking off....I'm not optimistic for Valve.  But on an entirely selfish level, I hope they do, because it will do (further) wonders for the viability of Linux as a gaming platform.

BanzaiCat

You can certainly get computers that cheap here...say, $300 or so laptops on sale, but they're not exactly gaming rigs. :)

There's so many producers of PCs, chain stores that sell them, and online resources, that you can pretty much get a decent gaming rig for around eight hundred to one thousand U.S. (sans a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all that other stuff you need to actually run the thing).

Jarhead0331

Any half-way decent gaming rig will run you anywhere from $750 to $1,000 plus...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2015, 08:54:39 AM
I think this is going to appeal to a crowd that always dreamed of playing their PC games on a 65" flat screen TV.

That's easy enough to do with a PC these days.

My previous PC resides next to the HDTV for that purpose.  You only need to use the HDMI out on the video card.  Or the DVI if you want to run the audio out to a different sound system.   :)

Add a wireless mouse & keyboard and that's all you need (other than a lap desk or rigid mouse "pad" perhaps).  Potato PC!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on June 08, 2015, 05:59:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 08, 2015, 08:54:39 AM
I think this is going to appeal to a crowd that always dreamed of playing their PC games on a 65" flat screen TV.

That's easy enough to do with a PC these days.

My previous PC resides next to the HDTV for that purpose.  You only need to use the HDMI out on the video card.  Or the DVI if you want to run the audio out to a different sound system.   :)

Add a wireless mouse & keyboard and that's all you need (other than a lap desk or rigid mouse "pad" perhaps).  Potato PC!
It is not a matter of capability, it is a matter of convenience I suspect.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18