Scourge of War: Waterloo! announced

Started by steve58, March 24, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Father Ted

Bought, downloaded, installed.  The resolve to wait and see routed like a battalion of raw recruits flanked by two squadrons of heavy cavalry.

Cyrano

NO SPOILERS!!

I'm stuck at work and want to find out who wins for myself!!

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

fabius

#92
You bastages- I want to resists until the weekend.. but it's so hard  :smiley6600:

Historical gamer does an intro brigade battle:

Cougar_DK

Just a friendly warning. My gpu makes a lot of noise when in the game menu, running 4000-6000 fps  8)

No problem in game, running around 30 fps.
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Grim.Reaper

Of course purchased and played around a little bit with the tutorial...not enough to fully comment yet, but finding the new control scheme (right-click and orders menu) a little difficult to use at this point.  Sometimes seems to have a mind of its own, but likely something I am doing incorrectly.  I haven't played the original SOW in awhile, but things seem a little laggy so far but I haven't really played with setting options yet.  Also had something kind of weird happen.....assigned a unit to move to a spot, but instead of going to that spot, seemed to be caught in a loop of moving from one spot to another spot, over and over on its own. 

If you own Windows 8 or above, make sure to set the .EXE to be compatible with Windows 7, otherwise you'll see blacked out text and blacked out graphics.  Same issue happened with the older version.  I know this is basically the same engine, but kind of surprised they didn't at least correct that...hopefully Windows 10 still has compatibility options when it comes out:)

I do think it will be refreshing to play this era of a war game so looking forward to diving in much deeper...

Cyrano

Not as pretty as N:TW.  Cavalry movement in particular is oddly stilted.

The new control scheme is definitely taking some getting used to.

The MP lobby was fussing with me and we've not yet found peace.

This said, I watched the chateau burn tonight as my skirmishers pushed through the orchard.

It will serve to remind all my mini-gaming brothers (and the occasional sister) that we get scale horribly wrong most of the time. Scrolling around the full battle scenario is a thing to behold.

The work done on the units and their uniforms is to be highly commended.

The map is an evident labor of love.

So far, very, very happy.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on June 09, 2015, 10:30:00 PM

The new control scheme is definitely taking some getting used to.



Go into Modifications and turn on the Grog Toolbar. You'll be happy.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

#97
The right click thinggy actually reminds me of the Histwar Les Grognards interface.

How does volley fire work?  It seems that my guys rarely shoot when I press volley fire command.
And it's really quite difficult catching the enemy with a charge.  Too many micromanagement required.

dinsdale

Did anyone watch the gameplay video? It did the reverse of what I thought and put me off somewhat. I don't know whether its just an easy introductory scenario, a buggy beta version or something else, but there didn't look to be any kind of significant gameplay and the player won a victory by routing a few Dutch battalions and without taking the farmhouse.

fabius

Quote from: dinsdale on June 10, 2015, 09:21:00 AM
Did anyone watch the gameplay video? It did the reverse of what I thought and put me off somewhat. I don't know whether its just an easy introductory scenario, a buggy beta version or something else, but there didn't look to be any kind of significant gameplay and the player won a victory by routing a few Dutch battalions and without taking the farmhouse.

This was mentioned over on the matrix site. Several points were put forward 1. intro scenario designed to ease players in. 2. They took significant casualties from the AI. 3. the AI has played differently each time for on of the posters.

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on June 10, 2015, 07:37:16 AM
How does volley fire work?  It seems that my guys rarely shoot when I press volley fire command.
And it's really quite difficult catching the enemy with a charge.  Too many micromanagement required.

The way I understand it, you have to press the Volley Fire button twice: once to get them ready, and then when all of your little dudes quit loading, again to fire.

I caught an enemy battalion last night with volleys from three of my battalions, one right after the other, and the enemy broke and ran on the third. That was pretty much my only well-coordinated attack last night...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

em2nought

Quote from: Cyrano on June 09, 2015, 10:30:00 PM
Cavalry movement in particular is oddly stilted.

Those are just Lipizzaner Stallions, that's how they move.  ;D
Stolen elections have consequences.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Cyrano

Nowhere near enough play to speak re: the competence of the A.I.  Far too busy crawling around the battlefield with a topo map on my lap.

I've had no problem catching infantry in charges if I don't come at them frontally.  One of my projects for the weekend is setting up squaring situations and seeking how readily they do it, how rapidly they do it, and the varying effects of catching them while forming.  I'm also very curious if infantry can get off a final volley if they're steady enough.  The battalion and brigade level A.I. will certainly bear watching.

The intro scenario is normative of little in the game.  It's there to set up a situation well in favor of the Allies, let them learn the UI, and kill things.  Oh, and fool about with the Camerons (why the Black Watch I'll never know) and the 1st of the 95th. 

Best,

Jim

"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni

Quote from: panzerde on June 10, 2015, 10:41:43 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 10, 2015, 07:37:16 AM
How does volley fire work?  It seems that my guys rarely shoot when I press volley fire command.
And it's really quite difficult catching the enemy with a charge.  Too many micromanagement required.

The way I understand it, you have to press the Volley Fire button twice: once to get them ready, and then when all of your little dudes quit loading, again to fire.

I caught an enemy battalion last night with volleys from three of my battalions, one right after the other, and the enemy broke and ran on the third. That was pretty much my only well-coordinated attack last night...

Well that's bad because that's a lot of micromanagement.  They should preferably do volley indefinitely right?  Or was that not the tactic during those times.