Main Menu

Scourge of War

Started by Toonces, April 14, 2015, 03:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Well, keep in mind that the game (TC2) is very popular with the ACW crowd, and it's been around a long time.  If the movement is bugged, it would have been found and I can't believe so many people would be playing.

I think with TC2 there is some nuances with when you have to "take command" from the AI and manually direct your units.  Again, this is where I really need to RTFM and some forum threads.  I'll be sure to post anything I figure out here in this thread. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Asid

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 07, 2015, 12:28:22 PM
Thanks, Asid. Once I start doing something like a campaign, I'll post a proper AAR with screenies in the AAR section. :)

That would be great  O0
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Father Ted

Quote from: Nefaro on May 06, 2015, 04:36:51 PM
Don't hamper yourself with HITS and high difficulty level right out of the gate.  Save yourself a lot of trouble.

Actually, I don't recommend using any of that until you're very good at using the normal RTS style command system.  Even then, using only couriers can be problematic & the mechanics rather picky.

Thanks for the wise words (and from Panzerde). I guess my approach is tied in to my flightsim background - I'd rather go "full real" from the off.   What I hadn't realised was that full real also means a default "ace" setting for the AI.

Don't get me wrong, it's not some sort of macho stance (I always play FPSs at medium and CM on "warrior") - just that the HITS thing was the draw for me, and I wanted to learn it without knowing what  crutches I had to fall back on.  Maybe that seems a bit arse about face, but, for the moment at least, the game is about experiences rather than results, and I'm quite happy pootling along.  I related my experience more as warning to other newbies about the learning curve (we need a new cliche) rather than a complaint about its presence.

Nefaro

#78
Quote from: Father Ted on May 07, 2015, 03:13:18 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 06, 2015, 04:36:51 PM
Don't hamper yourself with HITS and high difficulty level right out of the gate.  Save yourself a lot of trouble.

Actually, I don't recommend using any of that until you're very good at using the normal RTS style command system.  Even then, using only couriers can be problematic & the mechanics rather picky.

Thanks for the wise words (and from Panzerde). I guess my approach is tied in to my flightsim background - I'd rather go "full real" from the off.   What I hadn't realised was that full real also means a default "ace" setting for the AI.

Don't get me wrong, it's not some sort of macho stance (I always play FPSs at medium and CM on "warrior") - just that the HITS thing was the draw for me, and I wanted to learn it without knowing what  crutches I had to fall back on.  Maybe that seems a bit arse about face, but, for the moment at least, the game is about experiences rather than results, and I'm quite happy pootling along.  I related my experience more as warning to other newbies about the learning curve (we need a new cliche) rather than a complaint about its presence.


You can definitely get a good experience from the regular command system.  It still has that unique SOW feel of being in a specific general's shoes without the extra interfacing issues that come with using HitS. 

Frankly, I think the courier system has some notable flaws.  One is the syntax restrictions and order rigidity required.  Your AI underlings just can't interpret English orders very well so you have to nurture the sentences out in specific order and hope it does.  They also don't allow very specific orders to be given in some cases.  Another problem has always been the courier pathfinding.  They've attempted working on it numerous times but I don't think it's ever been without flaws.  I've followed my couriers in large battles, and seen them take some insanely F'd up paths straight into enemy lines when they shouldn't have.  I'd call these game issues rather than simulation issues, and I don't think using Couriers Only is as fun as it sounds.

Father Ted

Quote from: Nefaro on May 07, 2015, 04:11:24 PM



You can definitely get a good experience from the regular command system.  It still has that unique SOW feel of being in a specific general's shoes without the extra interfacing issues that come with using HitS. 

Frankly, I think the courier system has some notable flaws.  One is the syntax restrictions and order rigidity required.  Your AI underlings just can't interpret English orders very well so you have to nurture the sentences out in specific order and hope it does.  They also don't allow very specific orders to be given in some cases.  Another problem has always been the courier pathfinding.  They've attempted working on it numerous times but I don't think it's ever been without flaws.  I've followed my couriers in large battles, and seen them take some insanely F'd up paths straight into enemy lines when they shouldn't have.  I'd call these game issues rather than simulation issues, and I don't think using Couriers Only is as fun as it sounds.

All taken on board - and to be honest I haven't yet gone to a couriers-only situation, so maybe I'll have to discard my rose-tinted spyglass...

JasonPratt

Hm... my plan has hit a bit of a blank wall. Although TC2's megamod is supposed to have a full 1st Bull Run battle to play where I can choose any commander, in fact that file seems to be only a ditto of the large Beauregard game. Whoever put it there forgot to assign any other possible commanders to choose from. I tried playing it from the 'scenario' list, too, same result, only even more obvious because other scenarios (though not for that battle) provide a list of possible commanders but not that one, only the Beau.

This wouldn't be so bad except the one general you CAN'T hand back to the AI is the one you're assigned at the start. So I can go Take Command (tm) someone else (specifically the general who is commanding the reserve brigade with two little regiments, one of which is 2nd Tennessee), but if I do then the AI will leave Beau hanging frozen waiting for input.

Hopefully I can solve this problem by getting into the mod system (or some otherwise light text file editing) for that battle and assigning at least one more general to the scenario playlist, namely that guy. Possibly with a new name and rank. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Took a while (as a break from trying to figure out why Steam didn't recognize my installation of Far Cry 3 anymore -- never did figure out why, but a reinstall verified the game's existence so that's okay).

But I found which folder to duplicate; found the files in there to mod; and so now Colonel (previously Captain) Jason Pratt has been put in command of Brig General Holmes' Reserve Brigade after the General succumbed to a wound taken while guarding artillery during an exchange with Union gunboats earlier that month. 1st Arkansas, and 2nd Confederate (TN) regiments. Plus a brick of arty which we've been assigned to guard (and whose elements I might do some tweaking of along the way).

Now all I have to do is figure out how to leave the game to work on screenshots and the AAR text -- alt-tabbing out works okay, but the game doesn't like alt-tabbing back in.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Reviving this thread.  I am quite disappointed with Waterloo and looking to get back to Scourge of War Gettysburg which was largely unplayed since I bought it.
I only have the original non-matrix version.  Is there any upgrade path to get the collection instead of re-buying?

-budd-

Quote from: jomni on June 12, 2015, 09:20:27 PM
I only have the original non-matrix version.  Is there any upgrade path to get the collection instead of re-buying?

try this
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/441/downloads/Scourge.of.War:.Gettysburg
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on June 12, 2015, 09:20:27 PM
Reviving this thread.  I am quite disappointed with Waterloo and looking to get back to Scourge of War Gettysburg which was largely unplayed since I bought it.
I only have the original non-matrix version.  Is there any upgrade path to get the collection instead of re-buying?

No upgrade path from what I recall...if you already own Gettysburg base game and you want to buy all modules, it's cheaper just to buy the modules separately then to buy the bundle...you would save about $10. 

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on June 12, 2015, 09:20:27 PM
Reviving this thread.  I am quite disappointed with Waterloo and looking to get back to Scourge of War Gettysburg which was largely unplayed since I bought it.
I only have the original non-matrix version.  Is there any upgrade path to get the collection instead of re-buying?

Also, once you do register your serial number of your old version at Matrix, you can actually download the Matrix version if you want for free...it will be located in your games section under downloads.

Johnnie

Yes you can register your norbsoft serials at matrix and then download the matrix versions. Took me several tries (with my fat fingers)  to correctly type the old serials.

jomni

Thanks. Used the Norbsoft serial to register at Matrix. Got the latest patch.  So i guess buying the individual add ons is still cheaper.

Asid

Hi Jomni

There are some excellent scenarios for free from the Norbsoft site. Including an official one. I will drop some links later.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying