What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?

Started by Greybriar, June 12, 2015, 11:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

I have purchased a number of games so far during the Summer Sales. Some were in genres I don't usually play but which looked like they would be fun; none were as much fun as I'd hoped.

When I saw the Humble Bundle: Retroism, I couldn't pass it up despite owning the retail boxed versions of all but one of the games featured. Of the eight games, Command H.Q. caught my attention first--it was one of my favorite beer-and-pretzels games back in the day. I find it to be an entertaining game today, 25 years after it was released.

How about you? What is your favorite of the games you've purchased in this year's Summer Sales?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

I haven't played anything I bought on sale yet, but from past experience I strongly suspect Far Cry 4 will be the most satisfying overall.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Like Jason I haven't played any of the new games yet but it was nice to pay only $2.49 for Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition and $7.49 for Space Hulk - Ultimate Pack. I'm also picking up several games I've wanted for a while for less than $10.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DennisS

Oddly...a turn based soccer game, Football Tactics. GREAT fun. Very accessible, but with a surprising amount of depth.

Gusington

So far IL21946 for 2.49.

Considering Wasteland 2 for 19.99 right now.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao


Skoop

Ditto on the mig-15 as well, completes my Dcs collection. 

Bumbed the arma 3 dlc isn't on sale.  I'm on a an arma binge right now, but 24 bucks for dlc is not going to fly.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Big new arma 3 update coming soon, new environment - South Pacific

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 13, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
Big new arma 3 update coming soon, new environment - South Pacific

It looks and sounds delicious. But I don't think it is expected until 2016.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2015, 04:14:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 13, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
Big new arma 3 update coming soon, new environment - South Pacific

It looks and sounds delicious. But I don't think it is expected until 2016.

Gadzooks, I didn't realise it was that far out

DoctorQuest

I picked up Lego Batman  :))

Haven't played it yet but it looks like a hoot.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Cyrano

Tabletop Simulator became awesome once I realized the boards that people had crafted inside the Workshop.

Finally got 'round to buying CC:Gateway to Caen although that and Hell were part of a Humble Bundle rather than the Steam sale.  The former is far better than I expected.

Still, CMANO, while remaining impenetrable at the moment, is something quite remarkable...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JasonPratt

#13
In accord with the prophecy (and also resurgence of a stomach virus or whatever), I spent most of Saturday and Sunday working through most of the southern third of the Far Cry 4 campaign. While the main character is about as softly developed as a bag full of marshmallows, I'd rather have that than Douche McDudebro growing up to be a psycho killer.  :P Everyone else is written as well or better than in FC3. Granted, no one can be as freaky-evil as Vash or whatever his name was, but Pagan Min does a much better job of being cultured-crazy-evil than Hoyt. Amita or whatever her name is, is 1000% better than all the main female FC3 characters put together.

The visuals as everyone already knows are amazing, though I'm already very much over having three high-Himalayan missions in a row -- I'd rather have those spaced out (though I supposed I could just ignore most of them as optional...?)

My love for the Buzzer (essentially an old "Mosquito Air", i.e. a bike helicopter) is pure and undefiled, and only sharpened by the realization that such things exist in real life and for a cost of around $18,000 $35,000 I could in 100% real life kill myself thoroughly on such a thing by being shotgunned at the first opportunity by Tennessean neighbors who prefer their airspace peaceful and quiet (not to say private). I am nevertheless tempted to buy one and put it together anyway. Maybe farmers would let me mount a GoPro on it and fly around their fields to check on their crops.

Considering how much thought the devs put into little details (like the weedeater sound of the blades of the Buzzer bumping into treetops!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: ) I'm a little surprised they didn't think to write in dialogue variations based on unlocking the wingsuit (which arrives early in the game), since that would seem to be something that would impress the local people a lot: Ajay son of Rohan (or whatever) doesn't even need a small helicopter or hang glider to fly! But I'm a little less than 1/3 of the way through the game (maybe only 1/4, depending on how the map shakes out), so perhaps that's coming.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

X:Rebirth....after many starts that resulted in frustration and confusion, I finally went with the Campaign and I'm glad I did. It is really just a very long and detailed tutorial that walks you through all the different game functions. I'm having a lot of fun with it.