Scourge of War: Waterloo! announced

Started by steve58, March 24, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Napoleonic and American Civil War fanatics are the worst for anal retentive attention to detail, which if not meeting their specific expectations ruins everything for them.  Jackassery. 

Cyrano

Bison:  Voice of hard experience? ;)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

All I know for sure is Napoleon fucking lost in the end.  His army got it's ass kicked and nothing will every change that.  Same for Robert E. Lee.  /rant off/  :P

Rayfer

Quote from: Bison on June 15, 2015, 12:03:35 PM
All I know for sure is Napoleon fucking lost in the end.  His army got it's ass kicked and nothing will every change that.  Same for Robert E. Lee.  /rant off/  :P

LOL....well put!!

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on June 15, 2015, 11:31:59 AM
Remember...always remember...compared to this man, who despite his representations to the contrary, is both obsessive and compulsive, we are all triflers:



Pshaw! Look at that, he has the uniforms wrong on those dragoons!  ;)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

fabius

Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

Only as far as the small section in the center is concerned.  It doesn't make a difference if you have wide line and the troops on the end are behind some others.

You can double check those cases when they are overlapping on the ends (at least in SOW:G) by the absence of the fire obscurement penalty icon. 

I've definitely had ends of my line behind other LOS-blocking units and had no penalty.  So, yes, that can be the case.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I may end up going back to 6 for a while as the whirly ends of formations irked a little in the last battle.

RyanE

In that video...wonder what the scale is...that will completely freak out the haters on the Matrix boards.

This reminds me a lot of the old ASL fans really getting their hate on for Combat Mission when it came out.  They just couldn't believe that ASL wasn't the most realistic game ever.  You have guys on the Matrix boards threatening to go back to tabletop miniatures because scale...un-f'ing-believable.

Cyrano

I know this mule is well on it's way to dead, but on that question of scale:

Paddy Griffiths famously wrote that wargaming took a sharp, wrong turn when it made a fetish of little, metal men.  All the other bizarre evils of TTG pedantry, in my own mind, flow from the false sense of verisimilitude that the minifigs -- which I love -- can bring.  Shako II, Volley and Bayonet, Empire in its iterations, Carnage and Glory, Blucher, &c., all contain abstractions of one sort or another; heck, Shako II keeps its ground scale a bit of a secret and admits that both its artillery and musketry ranges are distorted to make "sense" one with another.  All that remains is for the game makers to tell us of their concessions and leave us to make decisions as to whether or not those concessions make a bit of difference.

I long ago accepted the limitations of the Tiller games in the Napoleonic era.  I long ago threw N:TW over the side as rubbish.  For the nonce, I've placed SOW:W in the former camp and am optimistic that matters will only improve.

CHARGE!!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Toonces

^ Ok, I've been wanting to know the backstory on your avatar for a couple of years now.  What's the beef with jeeps?   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Cyrano

Two years ago at one of the Origins Command Post wargames (see, Brant, I used the NEW name) using Operation: Flashpoint, I was assigned responsibility for a group of both observation and attack helicopters.  The intent, as I look back on it, from Dr. S. was to insert a little bit of good old command friction between myself and the main "Fires" commander because my mission -- as somewhat distinct from his -- was to get my platforms back in one piece.

With that in mind, I parked my recce choppers in some trees with my Apaches behind them on the opposite side of a ridge line.  When the Soviets finally came in their hundreds, I spotted them no small distance away and the Apaches, naturally enough, started lighting up the approaching columns.  Problem was, they were lighting light vehicles -- jeeps for all intents and purposes.  Lots of them.  So many so that Jim Snyder (Cap'n Darwin hereabouts) the game operator just started laughing every time I re-cycled another one.

Jeep Killer Actual ever since...the logo is a gift from Brant, if memory serves...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

LOL.  Good story.


Someone needs to create a "No Bridges" one for JD.    >:D

panzerde

Well, after having a fairly easy time of it in the first three French scenarios, I'm stopped cold with the fourth one. This is the first Corps sized scenario and I'm having a devil of a time pushing D'Erlon's boys up the far ridge without them getting shot to little tiny pieces. I can capture La Haye Sainte pretty quickly (though it doesn't seem to count for French VPs and won't let me garrison the building), but after that I'm done.


Historically D'Erlon's I Corps pushed through the Allied infantry but were cleaned off the ridge top primarily by a cavalry charge as I understand it No Allied cavalry here, just a whole lot more infantry and guns than I was expecting.


Anyone else give this a try yet?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Toonces

Heh, very cool Cyrano.  Ok, I can die fulfilled now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

panzerde

To answer my own question (and for anyone else that looks at this in the future) "Give 'em the cold steel!" seems to work wonders at clearing the Dutch militia units out of the way. That let my gain the ridge top and briefly hold the objective, just in time for the Union Brigade cavalry to fulfill it's historic role.


Mental note: remember to form square...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

fabius

Quote from: panzerde on June 15, 2015, 07:16:24 PM
Well, after having a fairly easy time of it in the first three French scenarios, I'm stopped cold with the fourth one. This is the first Corps sized scenario and I'm having a devil of a time pushing D'Erlon's boys up the far ridge without them getting shot to little tiny pieces. I can capture La Haye Sainte pretty quickly (though it doesn't seem to count for French VPs and won't let me garrison the building), but after that I'm done.


Historically D'Erlon's I Corps pushed through the Allied infantry but were cleaned off the ridge top primarily by a cavalry charge as I understand it No Allied cavalry here, just a whole lot more infantry and guns than I was expecting.


Anyone else give this a try yet?

I think that I just tried that in reverse playing the Allied brigade holding the sunken lane.

Watching so many French troops approach was a sight, and had to rotate units to re-org fatigue, ammo, and sometime morale.

This scenario had 2 great climaxes of the French twice getting into the lane with bayonet charges; and be twice evicting them with counter bayonet charge with my reserve battalion.


Waterloo is proving to be the most immersive I've played in some time.