You don't have to call me FRIDAY...FRY-DAYYYY

Started by MetalDog, June 19, 2015, 05:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

^ Star Trek RPG?  Man, that's old skool!   O0
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

Quote from: bob48 on June 19, 2015, 04:00:04 PM
Don't put him off - the subsequent postings are usually very entertaining  :)

Yes they are.

Nefaro

Quote from: vyshka on June 19, 2015, 11:07:06 AM
I might also spend time in Football Manager 2015.

Been trying to persuade myself to start a new season, with the local MLS team, but I've been doing far more reading than gaming lately.

undercovergeek

I'm on emergency call for undercoverjuniors first brownie camp and 2 nights from home, even though it's 5 miles up the road it feels awful here without her......

To take my mind off it I'm consoling my javelin troops who were 3 seconds from launch when the said target planted a HE round in the face of the anti tank guy, curse you JD

There will be some long war after xcom 2 got me all moist and I have yet to open the first turn of my pbem with KyzBP - will have time this afternoon, hope my boys at Pearl did me proud - good news is by the time we've finished I'll have paid off the business loan I just took out  O0

JasonPratt

Far Cry 4 continues apace -- in an attempt to unlock my Dad's homestead, I ended up drugged and leashed naked to two topless and athletically nubile women in body paint who called me their meat.

:o

After which I was thrown to cougars leopards.

This, somewhat surprisingly, led to the introduction of what I suppose is the second romantic interest in the game, and despite the um colorful introduction it seems a respectable option. No spoilers please in case I'm wrong.


I expect I'll hold off on Arkham Knight's forthcoming release this week, just to make sure the typical PC bugs which plagued previous console ports are given a little time to be found and swatted.

I've been playing an embarrassing amount of 10,000,000 this week, my defense for which is that I love match-3 games which try to apply the mechanics to fighting games somehow. I've also tried a bit of the much better sequel YOU MUST BUILD A BOAT, which I'm sure I'll love more but I'm trying to finish out the first game on general principle.

I picked up A.R.K. on sale yesterday or Thursday, though I haven't tried playing it yet, and probably won't for a little while. But I had commented previously (while playing FC3) that whoever first succeeds in creating a viable dinosaur-survival-sandbox game will have a license to print money, and out of several contenders this one looks to be the best so far, so I wanted to support it. But not enough to pay full price on what's still early access. ;)


Now for a brief report on a game that I picked up on sale just this morning, which I hadn't heard of before somehow.

First, imagine Klondike solitaire.

Now, imagine playing Klondike solitaire against someone else playing Klondike solitaire.

Now, imagine that stealing cards from each other's piles is a common and important tactic, thus also defending against someone doing the same.

Now, imagine that the rules aren't Klondike solitaire, but rather poker, i.e. building poker hands (with yahtzee extensions since 5 of a kind is now possible.)

Now, imagine adding in special ability effects, so that players are attacking each other with the poker hands they've built, and generating limit breaks from hitting and being hit which power those special abilities.

Now, imagine the storyline framing these fights is set in a fantasy version of the Grim Whyte during the time after Edward the Confessor repelled a viking invasion.

Now, imagine that your dialogue choices make no difference at all so far as I can see (even in what replies you get), but it doesn't matter that it doesn't matter, because the tough-guy wit is pretty good anyway.

Now, imagine that this comes with some nice artwork/gfx, plus a repetitive but epic sounding theme song.


You are now imagining Runespell Overture.

You are welcome.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Definitely suffering from "gaming ADHD" the last couple days.  I've gone back & forth between Birth of the Federation, Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion, Armada 2526 Gold, and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.  I need more hours in the day to play them as much as they deserve; gah!! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

vyshka

Quote from: Martok on June 21, 2015, 02:19:01 PM
Definitely suffering from "gaming ADHD" the last couple days.  I've gone back & forth between Birth of the Federation, Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion, Armada 2526 Gold, and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.  I need more hours in the day to play them as much as they deserve; gah!!

Do you run into performance issues with Armada? I was tempted to pick up the combo edition on steam the other day, but I read a number of places that that it would run to issues late game.

My weekend was mostly a Distant Worlds campaign as humans. I also spent a few hours playing Fallout 3.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 19, 2015, 08:32:18 AM
Quote from: Tuna on June 19, 2015, 07:52:03 AM
Ripple, one of my favorites! Thanks MD!

Will have to figure which games that I bought this week to try out, before I forget that I bought them!

Picked up Arma III, so maybe at least do some co-op on that with my 16 year old. Do any Grogs do co-op matches with this one? I know SDR mentioned SimHQ a few months back.

  I'll be playing ARMAIII (in the editor looking at new terrain), Vassal PBEM, Invisible and probably some DCS MIG15bisbeta

  Things went very differently:  Vassal PBEM, yes!  But no invisible or DCS.  I got Europa Universalis IV and some DLC for 75% off.  I guess I understand the early modern world better than the middle ages, or maybe I just like having the Timurids out there somewhere -- anyway I actually like the game.  I did a monster custom Shi'ite Republic (based loosely on the historical possibility that Fatamid Egypt was not taken over by the Mamalukes, but instead became an aristocratic Republic) stretching from Bengazi to Aleppo and on into the Ethiopian Highlands as well as Mecca.  So (if they do okay) they can expand in the Mediterranean or the Indian Ocean.  Might be fun.  Don't really know yet.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

#39
I ended up playing a lot of E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy. I loved this game when it first came out, but must have got stuck on some mission and put it aside for a couple of years. I reinstalled recently and jumped right back in.

This is one of the most unique gaming experiences I have ever had. The game is loaded with nuance and style like no other, and the world that the developers have created is really unique, intriguing and bizarre, all in a really good way.  This game would be perfect for someone like Dan Abnett to pick up and run with in a novel.

Notwithstanding all the wonderful things about this game, it can also be very frustrating figuring everything out. There is so much going on in terms of plot and gameplay and very little in the way of explanation. Most things can be figured out through diligence, but I can see a lot of people being turned off by the steep learning curve. Also, while the aesthetic of the game is impressive from a design standpoint, the graphics do appear relatively "indie" which is a nice way of saying low budget. Additionally, the dialogue interactions with NPCs are downright awful. Characters, such as Federal police or supremely powerful psi-cybernetic warrior monks say things that you would expect to hear in a highschool locker room. It really shatters the immersion and makes me want to avoid most non-essential interactions. Still the, RPG elements and character building features are very impressive and deep and the FPS combat is surprisingly satisfying.

If you've never played this one you owe it to yourself to at least give it a shot. It is only $3.99 on steam for the next 2 hours.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

picture me at 1:00am this morning squinting at the '..........is playing...........' pop up from steam

thinking why the hell is JH playing EVE and how come its on steam

all makes sense now

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 22, 2015, 09:51:18 AM
picture me at 1:00am this morning squinting at the '..........is playing...........' pop up from steam

thinking why the hell is JH playing EVE and how come its on steam

all makes sense now

LoL!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

I also enjoyed EYE: Divine Cybermancy.  Interesting FPS-RPG with an odd but unique setting. 

Since it was all originally in French, I kinda wonder if some of the (sparse) dialogue was lost in translation and made it seem even more stange.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on June 22, 2015, 10:14:00 AM
I also enjoyed EYE: Divine Cybermancy.  Interesting FPS-RPG with an odd but unique setting. 

Since it was all originally in French, I kinda wonder if some of the (sparse) dialogue was lost in translation and that made it seem even more stange.

Simplified for better and yet broader accuracy.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I've been tempted to get E.Y.E for a while...it looks really weird.

What should I fire up right now? Grim Dawn or AoWIII for a campaign as the undead? Need to cleanse my gaming palette with some dark fantasy before I fire up the incoming Rome 2 DLC.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd