Skyshine's Bedlam - Post Apoc Strategy/Roguelike

Started by Nefaro, June 19, 2015, 05:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Found the Post-Apoc Strategy/RPG/Roguelike I alluded to in the other thread, coming later this year.  Scheduled for a Fall release atm:


http://store.steampowered.com/app/367600

Looks like the type of multi-layered game everyone had hoped Banner Saga would be. 

We wantsssss it.






Nefaro

#1
This looks like super post-apoc mutant/cyborg/robot-tastic roguelike fun.  Can't wait! 


Watching this preview gameplay vid, I'm considering pre-purchasing.  Not sure when, exactly, it's gonna be released though.  Just says "Fall 2015".  ???  EDIT:  Forum talk about dev estimates mention mid-September.  ~another month

I actually started giggling like Gus, watching some parts.  Skoooweeee!


Nefaro

Out now.  Gonna grok it in a bit.

The gameplay vids I've seen make it seem very much like FTL but with some simple X-Com style Tac combat.  That's all great but the heavy theme makes it insta-buy (now that I've seen some gameplay vids) for me.

Dread Rlyeh

#3
Just played this for a few min and I have to say the combat is much more simplistic than I envisioned.  It looks pretty much like one standard attack for each class, with the variation being range/damage/movement/hp.   I'm not even sure if there are any class abilities, though there are a few global buffs/nukes. 

I sort of imagined Darkest Dungeon crossed with FTL and flavored with the lore of Armageddon Empires.  Don't think this is going to be my cup of tea, even with the other unlockable factions.  My fault for not digging a bit deeper, but hey, it was on sale  :)   

edit:  There is a veterancy system of some sort - fingers crossed it opens up new attacks/abilities.

Nefaro

#4
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on September 16, 2015, 03:46:22 PM
Just played this for a few min and I have to say the combat is much more simplistic than I envisioned.  It looks pretty much like one standard attack for each class, with the variation being range/damage/movement/hp.   I'm not even sure if there are any class abilities, though there are a few global buffs/nukes. 

I sort of imagined Darkest Dungeon crossed with FTL and flavored with the lore of Armageddon Empires.  Don't think this is going to be my cup of tea, even with the other unlockable factions.  My fault for not digging a bit deeper, but hey, it was on sale  :)   

Yeah, I had hoped the tac combat was more involved.  It actually resembles chess more than anything, albeit with the ranged strike zones making it different.  But still very chess-like.  Some people would probably like that, but I'd rather have a deeper X-Com style.

The setting, artwork, and writing is great stuff.  The strategy side of it is thinner than I'd hoped.   I may hang on to it for lighter roguelike fare occasions, and to see how the planned additions add to it.  I actually found the recent Renowned Explorers release to have much deeper tac combat due to it's unique mechanics.

Love the style, though...
They supposedly based it on some custom post-apoc tabletop RPG some of the devs ran long ago. 

Damn Cyborg ambushes..