Games with Confederate flag being removed from Apple Store

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 25, 2015, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Quote from: Father Ted on June 26, 2015, 05:16:27 AM
I don't think this is about political correctness gone mad or censorship, it's about these companies sniffing something on the wind (ie social media) and making a financial decision.

With all due respect to you, I must politely disagree.

The financial decision is being driven because of PC run amok. Were the US not in the grip of PC-mania no financial adjustment would be necessary.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: Father Ted on June 26, 2015, 05:16:27 AM
I don't think this is about political correctness gone mad or censorship, it's about these companies sniffing something on the wind (ie social media) and making a financial decision.

It's ultimately a negative sum financial decision.  They aren't making more by offering less.

The decision is a move to capitalize on the latest PC sensationalism in an attempt to portray the company leadership as morally supreme, in an era where moralization and victimization are given highest regard in the media whilst large business is widely considered an evil entity by default.

It's for the PR and headlines, not some quick money making scheme.

BanzaiCat

I was just wondering what the Confederate Air Force was going to do, and looked them up to see they changed their name to Commemorative Air Force. In 2002. Missed it byyyy that much. :uglystupid2:

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Quote from: Nefaro on June 26, 2015, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on June 26, 2015, 05:16:27 AM
I don't think this is about political correctness gone mad or censorship, it's about these companies sniffing something on the wind (ie social media) and making a financial decision.

It's ultimately a negative sum financial decision.  They aren't making more by offering less.

The decision is a move to capitalize on the latest PC sensationalism in an attempt to portray the company leadership as morally supreme, in an era where moralization and victimization are given highest regard in the media whilst large business is widely considered an evil entity by default.

It's for the PR and headlines, not some quick money making scheme.

I don't think another post is needed. THIS is the answer!
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

SirAndrewD

Did a quick search, and mentioned it over in the other thread. 

A completely not watered down version of Wolfenstien 3D is and has been for some time available in the iTunes Apple store. 

Ironic no?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Quote from: LongBlade on June 26, 2015, 10:52:29 AM
The financial decision is being driven because of PC run amok. Were the US not in the grip of PC-mania no financial adjustment would be necessary.

Latte-sipping Northeastern bleeding heart that I am, I usually roll my eyes at all the "PC is run amok!" AM radio hue and cry. But in this case, I must agree. A serious but highly specific issue ("is it right for US government institutions to fly the Confederate Battle Flag?") has indeed lapsed into mindless PC hysteria ("Quick, eliminate all images of the Confederate Flag everywhere now now now! Context be damned! No time to lose!"). 

bayonetbrant

sanity returns - Ultimate General returned to the App Store
http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/our-game-has-been-removed-from-appstore


"thank you" cards may be sent to the Groginatti at your leisure
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 26, 2015, 03:38:43 PM
sanity returns - Ultimate General returned to the App Store
http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/our-game-has-been-removed-from-appstore


"thank you" cards may be sent to the Groginatti at your leisure


Weren't there many others?  Is this the only one restored thus far?

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Father Ted

Quote from: LongBlade on June 26, 2015, 10:52:29 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on June 26, 2015, 05:16:27 AM
I don't think this is about political correctness gone mad or censorship, it's about these companies sniffing something on the wind (ie social media) and making a financial decision.

With all due respect to you, I must politely disagree.

The financial decision is being driven because of PC run amok. Were the US not in the grip of PC-mania no financial adjustment would be necessary.

I appreciate the respect and politeness!  I shall try to clarify my point.  To my mind political correctness and censorship are enforced by the state, but what's going on here is that companies are deciding to pull certain products because they fear a social media witch-hunt will hurt their bottom line.  There's no legislation against displaying the confederate flag and I don't think they're doing this because their directors feel that it is morally wrong.  So not censorship or PC.

I see what you're saying - that perhaps they're living in fear of PC - and I guess I'm splitting hairs, but my point was that I don't think that it's the companies which are being PC or are guilty of censorship.

Actually I think PC is an overly-maligned phenomenon, but I suppose that's food for a different thread...

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2015, 11:54:48 AM
I was just wondering what the Confederate Air Force was going to do, and looked them up to see they changed their name to Commemorative Air Force. In 2002. Missed it byyyy that much. :uglystupid2:

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on June 26, 2015, 09:30:08 PM
Do the Grogniatti include Paul Giamatti?

no, but we got his dad to ban Pete Rose, so there's still a familial tie-in there
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd