Why not start a youtube channel ?

Started by Pete Dero, July 08, 2015, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

I guess I don't understand how ads work on YouTube. I don't really care because I ignore them...I suppose I'm rather OCD when it comes to this, but when an ad appears, there's a brief moment when the bottom of the video says something about the ad so I immediately mute the video and then scroll down so only the playbar is visible at the top of my screen. I can tell if it's going to be a quickie or one of those obnoxious longer ones with the 'Skip Ad' function. Regardless I let it waste its time (and mine, dammit)...but at least I don't have any idea what it is those a-holes are trying to sell that I don't give two rat butts about. If it's a 'Skip Ad' kind of nonsense (and really, who sits through a four minute commercial? I just don't get it), I'll just scroll up a bit and click Skip Ad immediately.

There's an app called "ScrewAds" that apparently used to work brilliantly and block all their nonsense, but apparently YT found a way around it as it no longer works.  :-\

I can only hope YouTube actually can tell when people mute ads.

I suppose if you had a YouTube channel and turned ads on, you get paid for people clicking? I don't get how or why people click on those pop-up ads; I'm there to watch a video, not have something totally unrelated and useless invading my space. But it obviously happens.

God, I hate ads.  >:(

Pete Dero

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 10, 2015, 09:19:54 AM
I guess I don't understand how ads work on YouTube.

I suppose if you had a YouTube channel and turned ads on, you get paid for people clicking? I don't get how or why people click on those pop-up ads; I'm there to watch a video, not have something totally unrelated and useless invading my space. But it obviously happens.

I don't now if it works like that (paid for clicking).  Most videos i watch are in english but a lot of the ads i get are in dutch.  This must mean that youtube decides what ads i get based on my country and are not chosen by the channel host.

Guys like Arumba make a living out of gaming  (check out his agenda  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZVyNc_y3Nw - 7 days a week from noon till late in the evening), but i don't get any ads on his channel except for some small boxes at the bottom of the video you can click away.



Nefaro

I don't think they have any say in which commercials play on their channel.

However, I caught talk about syndication or some such.  I'm guessing that's when the bigger commercials & money start rolling in for those with enough subscribers?

W8taminute

When I read about how some are making a fortune like this vlogging of video gaming exploits I get depressed upon the realization that I seriously fucked up my life.  I could have made 7.4 million acting like a jackass and playing video games at the same time.  Hell, I do that every night after work anyway!!!!

PewDiePie should not feel ashamed of his money and quite frankly if I ever made that much doing what he's doing I'd not apologize for it either.  If one can figure out the system and make a shit ton of money off of it through LEGAL LEGITIMATE means then what's wrong with that?  Bill Gates owns half the planet and you never see him apologizing for the money he's made. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk