So... Congo Merc. Looks pretty nifty!

Started by JasonPratt, July 10, 2015, 07:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

I'm not in the mood to buy anything more for a while, but I did see the site ad for Congo Merc today, and it'll be released on PC (which means on my new Surface, too).

Seems pretty nifty; anyone have any experiences yet?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Oh, crap, somehow I added this to the movie category...  :buck2: :uglystupid2:

Ad/mod delete please.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

I'm not in the mood to buy anything else for a while, but I did see the new add on the sit for Congo Merc; and since it isn't out on Steam or GG (yet?) I can't wishlist it, so I'm doing the next best thing.  O0

Anyone have any experiences with it yet? (A forum search turned up nothing and suggested that I try "con go Merck" instead.  :D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

based on an older Decision Games solo boardgame, and pretty cool.  Definitely worth the $$s.  Review coming next weekend.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2015, 07:56:18 PM
based on an older Decision Games solo boardgame, and pretty cool.  Definitely worth the $$s.  Review coming next weekend.

Hmmm... Might have to pick up the iPad version then....

jomni


bayonetbrant

Quote from: jomni on July 10, 2015, 09:31:30 PMWhat?  No link?

we're running an f'n' ad for it right now! 

Click.
On.
The.
Ad!



it helps us keep the lights on around here :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

TBH, you have to refresh the page lotsa times before the Congo Merc banner shows. Are these banners ranked somehow for odds of appearance?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 10, 2015, 10:12:08 PM
TBH, you have to refresh the page lotsa times before the Congo Merc banner shows. Are these banners ranked somehow for odds of appearance?

Nope - everything runs equally.  We're just blessed with some decent inventory at the moment.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

tgb

I bought it at release, and so far it's not doing anything for me.  Everything (and I DO mean everything) is luck based, and the few decisions you do make aren't that interesting.

Once you assemble a squad (and there is a nice assortment of units to purchase), the game consists of moving from one location on the map to another.  Every time you land on a spot you get a random event.  Some help you, some hinder you, and some lead to pretty boring combat, which is resolved by rolling a 1d6.  There's also a couple of bugs (one which allows you to continue playing even after you've lost a scenario).

I realize solo board games have to rely on luck to provide any sort of game play at all, but the best of them (Elder Sign:Omens or Infection:Humanity's Last Gasp) allow the player to make meaningful decisions to try to alter the odds. Congo Mercs doesn't do that.

I'm going to attempt one more game over the weekend just to see if by chance I'm being overly harsh, but I couldn't recommend it.  Not so much because of the bugs, which you can work around, but because to me it's not a well-designed game.

tgb

Yeah, I fired it up again and started a new campaign.  When, after I won the first mission after a couple of tries, there was no sense of accomplishment.  All I thought was "Well, I got lucky".

Time to uninstall.

Jarhead0331

That's really disappointing, tgb...especially considering the subject matter is so interesting and so rarely gamed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

to be fair, that's a reasonably accurate assessment of the board game - which I happen to enjoy.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

tgb

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2015, 08:44:59 AM
to be fair, that's a reasonably accurate assessment of the board game - which I happen to enjoy.

I realize that, and for that reason I don't hold the people who programmed the conversion at fault, but the original designer.  This could have been a better game if there was more to it than moving and flipping over random event cards.