SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG

Started by tgb, July 16, 2015, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, and Shadow of the Horny Rat

Between Sorcerer King, Guild of Dungeoneering, and Ultimate Space Commando, I have more than enough to keep myself occupied for a while.  I'll wait for the Winter sale, when there will probably be a sale on all 3 in a bundle.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bobarossa

Quote from: tgb on July 16, 2015, 08:49:03 AM
Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, and Shadow of the Horny Rat

Between Sorcerer King, Guild of Dungeoneering, and Ultimate Space Commando, I have more than enough to keep myself occupied for a while.  I'll wait for the Winter sale, when there will probably be a sale on all 3 in a bundle.
I believe that's "Horned Rat".  Having trouble in your love life?

Jarhead0331

OMG! Its like a dream come true...total tears of joy. I'm pinching myself.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bbmike

Which one is considered the best of the three?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Pinetree

I played Dark Omen, the sequel to Horned Rat, on the PSX. That was an awesome game. I wonder if that will be next.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on July 16, 2015, 09:53:54 AM
Which one is considered the best of the three?

That is a hard question, but for me, I would have to say Chaos Gate. Tactically, its like the original X-Com in WH40K clothes. Just a superb game from a time when developers really gave the player options and the chance to make meaningful and sometimes hard decisions.

Final Liberation is good too, but I do not remembering it being as much of a time sink as Chaos Gate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


tgb


Nefaro

Chaos Gate?

Finally!!!

O0   8)


I just hope GOG got it running compatibly well with an emulator or some such.  I've not been able to play it reliably since the Win98 OS.

PAK

Oooooh, Chaos Gate and SotHR, later, presumably, Dark Omen, I will get arrested for credit card abuse...  >:D

Rayfer

Two thumbs up for Chaos Gate and Final Liberation....but for me, Shadow of the Horned Rat was disappointing...way too much of a rts click-fest.

SirAndrewD

Chaos Gate!!!

Tonight the Heretics will burn!!!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2015, 11:02:32 AM

I just hope GOG got it running compatibly well with an emulator or some such.  I've not been able to play it reliably since the Win98 OS.

It better...otherwise, what the hell is the point?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Tpek


JasonPratt

Quote from: Rayfer on July 16, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
Two thumbs up for Chaos Gate and Final Liberation....but for me, Shadow of the Horned Rat was disappointing...way too much of a rts click-fest.

I think I remember being able to give at least one level of command while paused, but it's been a while and I could be mis-remembering.

What I do remember is that I never got close to finishing the game because it's hellishly difficult. Which is admittedly nice in a way: a merc captain being barely able to keep his companies together in the face of ever-increasing odds, would be trounced by those ever-increasing odds pretty quickly!  :-[ :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!