Main Menu

WITP - AE micromanaging

Started by Philippe, August 08, 2015, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

when you view the combat results youll see all the modifiers in play, + for leadership, - for fatigue etc

readiness or preparation is always a negative for your attack if you didnt prep for the destination

Atilla60

Hi Phillippe

I'm late to the party and there's already enough comments in this thread to give you an impression of the game ... and the frustrations that comes with it  :)
   
Anyway,for what's it worth. Here's my thoughts on your questions:

QuoteSo I have two questions. 

1) Is WITP - AE the micromanagment nightmare that I suspect it is?

It's not a nightmare if you ask me. Then again; isn't the definition of what micromanagement is  a matter of personal preferences?

In WITPAE The production system, logistics/convoy and pilot training can be controlled by the AI if you want to.
Actually, if you play the Allied you don't have to worry about production at all. They get what they get each month. It's static and there's nothing you can do about it.

Quote2) Are there enough smaller scenarios that you can play interesting parts of the Pacific war without writing off your marriage, your job, and half your life?

LOL!
If you're looking for a game (campaign or scenario) that can be played and finished on a Thursday night. WITPAE is not your game.


QuoteI remember wanting to like Uncommon Valor, but being unable to relate to it.

To be honest Phillippe and don't get me wrong. Even though I've never played UV, I don't think WITPAE is a game for you.

I could be wrong. If so, it wouldn't be the first time  :)

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Rayfer

attilla60.....it seems that a lot of the micro-management complaints posted here involve the logistics/convoy process.  In your post you indicate this is can be AI controlled. How specific/detailed is that control? Is it like Distant Worlds where the AI can basically take complete control of various game aspects, i.e. ship design, diplomacy, etc.??

jomni

Quote from: Rayfer on August 09, 2015, 08:19:52 PM
attilla60.....it seems that a lot of the micro-management complaints posted here involve the logistics/convoy process.  In your post you indicate this is can be AI controlled. How specific/detailed is that control? Is it like Distant Worlds where the AI can basically take complete control of various game aspects, i.e. ship design, diplomacy, etc.??

Convoys can be automated.  You just have to indicate the ports and the ships that are part of the auto convoy scheme.  But for those who think that precise logistics operations means winning or losing the war, manual is the way to go.  Same with Japanese Aircraft production and Pilot Training.  These two can be minor nuances but there are people who claim that Japan's only way to win is to micromanage these aspects.


Swatter

You can't automate many, many things. You need to move around air groups, combat units, construction units, airbase units, HQs, and fleets of course. Not to mention adding pilots to air groups, converting supply into torpedoes, and a bunch of other small things. You will eventually get everything functioning more or less the way you want it and when you do the turns go by much faster.

Like I said, you need a passion for the subject or the first several turns will be too much to swallow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Swatter on August 09, 2015, 10:04:53 PM
You can't automate many, many things. You need to move around air groups, combat units, construction units, airbase units, HQs, and fleets of course. Not to mention adding pilots to air groups, converting supply into torpedoes, and a bunch of other small things. You will eventually get everything functioning more or less the way you want it and when you do the turns go by much faster.

Like I said, you need a passion for the subject or the first several turns will be too much to swallow.

Thanks for yours and other's honest replies. This is just not a game for me, even at half price. The less complicated yet flawed Strategic Command: WW2 Pacific Theater is more along the lines of what my brain can handle

gameleaper

thankyou guys, this thread stirred my interest again, last night I reloaded the game , watched a few youtube vids on it, and I had a whale of a time.

bobarossa

After filling out the order form and closing it several times, I finally bought it Monday evening.  Reminds me a lot of Uncommon Valor; they even kept the ships bell sound when you start a scenario!.  Looks like they added a lot of stuff to the industrial side since UV, especially on the Japanese side. 

sandman2575

Quote from: bobarossa on August 11, 2015, 06:28:41 PM
After filling out the order form and closing it several times, I finally bought it Monday evening.  Reminds me a lot of Uncommon Valor; they even kept the ships bell sound when you start a scenario!.  Looks like they added a lot of stuff to the industrial side since UV, especially on the Japanese side.

Good man.  You won't (and will) regret it.   :)

I've never tried a Japanese campaign, and not sure when I ever will.  Managing the Allies is job enough, without having to worry about all Japan's resources and manufacturing headaches...


jejo68

while I agree with atilla60 (the looser) that you CAN set the AI to micromanage alot of Things, I really fail to see why tbh. This is a game centered around logistics and long time planning and if you dont want to do that, then your cutting most of the game out, so you would really be better off with another game.

And send your damn turn you looser. Yes you Atilla60.

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -