"Feeling Old" 2015 Edition

Started by bayonetbrant, January 15, 2015, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Bigglesworth

None that I have been told of.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bayonetbrant

Other than Billy Corgan, the current members of Smashing Pumpkins all graduated high school after 2007.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

So they were in diapers (at best) when 'Today' first hit the charts and MTV:




Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Danny Bonaduce (Patridge Family) is 56 today.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

I was a freshman in college in the Fall of 1985.  I remember playing the heck out of Viet Nam 1965-75 and thinking that Ia Drang was a most historic thing as it had taken place a whole 20 years before.

Fifty years this Fall...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Sir Slash

Eleven years ago today, Hurricane Charlie hit here in Fla. and nearly destroyed my home. Though we weren't hit nearly as hard as many others, it was tough. And followed by 3 more storms that year right behind it. Two weeks without power followed and that sure cut into my gaming I'll tell you. Funny thing is now I can't really remember what I was playing back then. Surely Combat Mission-- probably CMBB or CMAK-- along with whatever Total War was out then and I don't know what else. That makes me feel old. I knew when they gave that storm a real red-neck name like Charlie, it would be trouble. Charles or Douglas or William, OK. But Charlie, Doug, or Bill... look out man.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

We had no power for five days.  We were at the very edge.  Truly a miserable experience.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Hurricane Irene in 2011 left us without power for about 10-11 days. Luckily I had found an 800watt automotive power inverter a few weeks before and was able to keep the fridge running as well as two portable DVD players for my kids.

Ironically, Superstorm Sandy only knocked us off the grid for about 2 days. Good thing too as it was getting pretty cold in the house by that second night with no furnace...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

We've been very lucky...we evacuated 10 years ago when Hurricane Rita came charging through...so too did most of Houston. This meant a 14-hour nightmarish drive to Athens, where my mother-in-law and her husband lived at the time. Normally, that's a 5-hour drive, tops. When we got back it felt like a post-apocalypse landscape; nothing was open, there was no gas...shows you exactly how fragile our supply structure is.

The next big one, Ike, came through in 2008. This one we stayed for, because there was no way in hell we were going through another insane traffic jam like that. The storm was pretty loud and impressive and power did of course go out. Fortunately the only damage we had was a gate removed from its hinges and tossed across the street in a neighbor's yard. We were without power for 48 hours...which sucked, but wasn't NEARLY as bad as most others in town had it (some didn't get power for weeks).

Centurion40

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 13, 2015, 10:08:52 PM
Eleven years ago today, Hurricane Charlie hit here in Fla. and nearly destroyed my home. Though we weren't hit nearly as hard as many others, it was tough. And followed by 3 more storms that year right behind it. Two weeks without power followed and that sure cut into my gaming I'll tell you. Funny thing is now I can't really remember what I was playing back then. Surely Combat Mission-- probably CMBB or CMAK-- along with whatever Total War was out then and I don't know what else. That makes me feel old. I knew when they gave that storm a real red-neck name like Charlie, it would be trouble. Charles or Douglas or William, OK. But Charlie, Doug, or Bill... look out man.

For us, we're in trouble when they give the storms Hispanic names... like Juan.  By the time that Charlie or Billy makes its way up here, they're all played out.
Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

Steve Martin is 70 years old today.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I gotta stop looking at the Wiki entries for each day. He was born in 1945.  :buck2:

mirth

The math checks out on that :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Hurricane Charlie blew the roof off the Hurricane Evacuation Center where I live and it had to evacuated-- during the storm! Where do you evacuate to when the Evacuation Center is destroyed? I'm glad we didn't try going there--- to be safe.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.