Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on August 11, 2015, 01:01:24 PM
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-much-will-windows-10-cost-this-time-next-year/

The article is really just speculation at this point. I am not sure how much money Microsoft makes on the home market compared to the corporate market. Linux is probably more of a competitor in the biz world given its transportability compared to Windows. I have to use Windows to support my gaming habits but that may be changing.

I am curious to know how much Windows contributes to MS profits compared to other products.

I am planning to upgrade my laptop first. I have less to lose. I may hold off and get a bigger third hard drive for my gaming rig and install a third partition there for Win 10. (I have Win 7 and XP partitions at the moment.)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 15, 2015, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 11, 2015, 01:01:24 PM
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-much-will-windows-10-cost-this-time-next-year/

The article is really just speculation at this point.


It makes an excellent point, though.  We dont even know for what, or how much, they will charge for Win10, it's updates, or other such things.  Upgrading is taking a leap of faith with MS right now, AFAICT.

As for how much MS makes on Windows OSes, it has to be substantial.  Individual OEM versions have always cost at least $100 a pop.  The premium and pro versions are much more.  I'm sure that cost is lower for prefab manufacturers who buy the licenses in bulk. 

But with the massive amount of Windows computers in use, Windows OS sales have still been a very sizable chunk of income.  I seriously doubt they're not going to milk similar profits out of users one way or another.  Sounds like MS is going with their own "free-to-play" hook here, with many costs & micro-transactions attached later on.

The only reason I've been tempted to check it out is due to reports of it being more efficient for gaming fps/resources.  But that's not enough considering all the unknowns.

Pete Dero



Funny if it is true.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Greybriar

Quote from: steve58 on August 17, 2015, 11:36:43 AM
Windows 10 allowing itself to detect counterfeit games or unauthorized hardware peripheral devices

Surly this won't cause any problems... >:D

My biggest problem with it is that consumers aren't putting a stop to being spied on. I guess they must be used to it by now what with all the "free" games that incorporate such invasive features.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

Sorry, I can't help it, I've gone a good few months without comment...

Enjoying your free spyware, everyone?

Quote from: steve58 on July 30, 2015, 12:41:38 PM
Now there are privacy/spying issues with Windows 10, but at least you can opt out...supposedly.

Yeah, they pinky swear to honour your settings.  Jeez.  This is the company that willingly divulged information on zero day vulns to the NSA to make it easier for you to be spied on.  I'm sure they'll disable all the Windows 10 spyware if you ask nicely.

Do yourself and your PC a favour...Install Linux Mint instead. ;)

Nefaro

#81
Quote from: steve58 on August 17, 2015, 11:36:43 AM
Windows 10 allowing itself to detect counterfeit games or unauthorized hardware peripheral devices

Surly this won't cause any problems... >:D


That kind of software always causes false positives, bugs, or even damage. 

Which was your point, of course. 


If I plugged in the hundreds of dollars worth of my flight sim hardware, only to find that Windows doesn't use it properly because of this extra software (or even screws it up), I would lose it.


They've snuck an occasional one into Win updates in recent years, but I try to keep an eye out and turn these extras off.  I still get the odd issue with USB hardware acting screwy due to Windows software - don't need any more f'ing with them.

Tuna

Any issues with DRM in software from battlefront,  dcs are any companies for that matter?

eyebiter

#83
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/

"Windows 10 won't run games that employ SafeDisc or certain versions of Securom DRM, rendering hundreds of old disc-based games potentially unplayable without complex workarounds. Games which used these forms of DRM range from Crimson Skies to Grand Theft Auto 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 to the original The Sims. Yet despite this change coming in Windows 10, blame can't likely be placed at Microsoft's feet. For one, SafeDisc is notoriously insecure and Microsoft's decision to block it from their new operating system will likely protect more users than it hurts."

bbmike

Quote from: eyebiter on August 22, 2015, 11:42:21 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/

"Windows 10 won't run games that employ SafeDisc or certain versions of Securom DRM, rendering hundreds of old disc-based games potentially unplayable without complex workarounds. Games which used these forms of DRM range from Crimson Skies to Grand Theft Auto 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 to the original The Sims. Yet despite this change coming in Windows 10, blame can't likely be placed at Microsoft's feet. For one, SafeDisc is notoriously insecure and Microsoft's decision to block it from their new operating system will likely protect more users than it hurts."

Somebody around here already said it- DRM of any kind sucks.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

It would be nice if Microsoft would release no cd fixes for their own software like fs2004, combat fs 1, 2 and 3.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing


Bad Windows! Bad!



Good Blondie! Good!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.