Guns, Gore, and Cannoli

Started by BanzaiCat, August 18, 2015, 08:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

I picked this up on Steam last night on sale. It's a pretty gory side-scrolling shoot-fest with 1930s gangsters and zombies.



Yeah yeah, I know, "another friggin' Zombie game, no thanks." I played it for about 30 minutes last night and am impressed with the production quality, animations, and overall fun factor. Check it out if you're into side-scrolling platformers; I'm not generally into this kind of game but I liked the theme so I took a shot. The bloodiness is impressive, I must say. It's a nice little diversion, sort of in the vein of BroForce.

You can pick from several character skins before you begin...interestingly, and apropos of nothing apparently, one of the skins for the male character is Stormtrooper armor. So of course I picked that. :)

Gusington

Something about that art style really tickles my pickle. And I love the title. It would be better without the zombies, I agree.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

From the trailer it looks like you face more than just zombies...giant rats and 'normal' people, which helped me pull the trigger on this one. I've not run into anything but zombies so far, but I've not played it that long.

tgb

Great artwork, but sidescrolling shooters aren't my cup of meat.  Afraid I'll pass.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


-budd-

been on my list for awhile, just waiting for a proper sale. Don't mind a little sidescroller action form time to time.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RooksBailey

I am half Sicilian, so anything with cannolis is a must-have for me.    :smitten:
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched a Let's Play video on it a few months back.  It's not really my kind of thing but this should give those of you who might be interested a good look at the gameplay.  (If you can put up with the two hosts).


Arctic Blast

I've been enjoying it thus far. If you like side scrolling action games, it's worth a look.

Jarhead0331

#9
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 19, 2015, 10:19:50 PM
I've been enjoying it thus far. If you like side scrolling action games, it's worth a look.

I think it's worth mentioning that even if you do not like side scrolling action games, you still may get a kick out of this one. I do enjoy it so far, and I generally really dislike side scrollers. I suppose it's the gratuitous violence that makes it fun and not get too old too fast. It has also has some neat little details that add just enough to the game to make it feel like more than just a typical side scroller. Like the way in which your character reloads all his weapons. It's really fun watching that little cartoon guy reload his weapons more or less authentically, and the details in the sounds are pleasing...for instance, the sounds of your guy opening his empty break action shotgun are awesome. You hear that hollow snap followed by the familiar sound of reloading two shells.

The graphics are pleasing too. They did a great job of researching 20s era fashions and uniforms. The cops and soldiers all look like they come right out of the era and their weapons match too. Cars, cityscapes...etc., It's all done really well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

There's one thing that's annoying the hell out of me right now about this game...later you get into a series of buildings, with doors boarded over. You kick them down/blow them away, but when you cross the threshold, the game immediately and automatically changes your weapon to the default pistol. So when you go charging into a fortified room and break down the door like that, you might have your shotgun equipped but the game will go "Oh no, let's give you the pistol!" just as you're facing several dudes hunkered down behind a barricade on the other side. The pistol has infinite ammo, but it has the weakest attack in the game.

It's gotten to the point where I break down the door (I almost always kick it down to save bullets), step through, see my weapon changed to the pistol, immediately duck back out because bullets start coming at me, change my weapon, then charge back in. It's a major pain in the ass and a dumb design.

Otherwise this game is a lot of fun. I just wish it would let you stick with whatever weapon you have equipped and not change it to the weak pistol automatically in those situations.

Jarhead0331

That has to be a bug, because it's not doing that on the levels I'm on...maybe report that to the devs?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Arctic Blast

Yeah, I'm not seeing that happening to me, either.

I am currently stuck in a boss battle with a stupid giant rat, though. Frustration is mounting...