Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam

Started by jomni, August 13, 2014, 07:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 05, 2015, 01:38:04 PM
You can also skip the cut scenes....not sure the command on a keyboard but on my controller you hit the back arrow button.
ESC brings up a menu to skip the cutscene - however, whilst that first part was as much drag as it was intriguing, I was hooked to watching.

It was only a drag from a participation pov...but I enjoyed "watching" the intro (whilst thinking "WTF?") - and kudos for having a 24 member in there.

Contrary to what I seem to have been putting out in my posts, the game picks up. I still "don't get" what's very ground breaking about it, but it is a good game. I am only 2% complete so there's a lot to go.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

glen55

Well I don't really want to skip cutscenes on first playthrough in a story-based game.  I'm just looking for something else - some way to set options - restart - whatever.  All I can do is "skip" or keep going.  As this cut scene goes on and on.  Especially since I didn't realize there was any way to alt-tab out, it looked like my only options were to keep going with this infinite cut-scene or power down and reboot.  What I kind of wanted to do was exit and come back and try the game again when I was a little more psychologically prepared to sit and watch grass grow for a while. 

As ports to PC go, this one is pretty bare bones, an obvious afterthought, and not thinking very long or hard after, either.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JudgeDredd

Quote from: glen55 on September 05, 2015, 03:30:30 PM
Well I don't really want to skip cutscenes on first playthrough in a story-based game.  I'm just looking for something else - some way to set options - restart - whatever.  All I can do is "skip" or keep going.  As this cut scene goes on and on.  Especially since I didn't realize there was any way to alt-tab out, it looked like my only options were to keep going with this infinite cut-scene or power down and reboot.  What I kind of wanted to do was exit and come back and try the game again when I was a little more psychologically prepared to sit and watch grass grow for a while. 

As ports to PC go, this one is pretty bare bones, an obvious afterthought, and not thinking very long or hard after, either.
boldwas me....and yeah. I felt like that. I didn't want to skip...no way...but I wanted it to move on.

I think this was mostly because the cut scenes were so long. It's not normally a problem - but it was a rather long intro with long cutscenes. Happily, the game doesn't continue in that vein and it's over to you.

The port issue you mention was kind of what I tried to put across when I was mentioning controlling the character. An example of that is (I mentioned) where it shows a shortcut to do something and it says to move the left or the right stick. I'm still not sure I've worked out the equivalent of the left and right stick on the keyboard/mouse...that is the games fault in the sense that it telling me to use the stick (because they've left it designed for the stick because it was designed for console) and also my fault because I haven't really  actually tried to work out what the stick option on the keyboard should be...it's probably on the internet somewhere.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

glen55

There should be a notice in bright letters on the box:

WARNING!  You must watch a bad 90-minute movie before you can actually play the game!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Grim.Reaper

After I got through the prologue, I am enjoying it...I much prefer games where you don't just run/gun, but use stealth and some strategy.  I know they aren't the same games, but it kind of reminds me of Sniper Elite II/III, which I extremely liked.  I am not great at shooters so I never expected it to be the best game ever for me, just trying to get some simple pleasures out of it, which I think I'll get my money's worth in the end.

Grim.Reaper

I might be just missing it, but is there a way to see your inventory such as diamonds picked up?

JudgeDredd

hmm...I think using your iDroid (tab) - I'm sure I've seen something through that.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
hmm...I think using your iDroid (tab) - I'm sure I've seen something through that.

I tried looking there, but couldn't readily see it...but maybe somehow missed it.  I would think it exists somewhere and the idroid would make sense.

JudgeDredd

When I open the iDroid and Select the Motherbase tab, there's a section that says resources. That tells you what you've collected overall. Is that what you wanted or was it more "mission" based?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Thanks JD, I will try that....basically why I was asking is that I choose to restart a mission that I had previously picked up a Diamond.  But when I replay the mission, it is no longer available.  I would have thought restarting it would return the diamond back, but maybe once you find stuff regardless of starting over it stays with you so that is why I was trying to see if it had the diamond within inventory.

JudgeDredd

First of all, diamonds are "money" and therefore they go straight to your account as GMP - there's no way of looking to see how many you've collected that I know of...perhaps in the user profile.

As diamonds are money and go straight to your GMP account, I think that the diamonds that you find prior to a save checkpoint are put straight in to your account and cannot be retrieved again but diamonds that are collected after a checkpoint can be located again.

I just restarted a mission (from a checkpoint) about 5 times recently (trying different tactics out), and each time I went to the same cabin and picked up the same diamond under the bed.

I think  :)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JasonPratt

I'm pretty sure I own all the Metal Gear games (even the ones from before Solid in a special edition collection), including the 3D tactical card games which aren't even canonical and can only be played on the PSP -- and I'm also sure the first of those tactical 3D card games is the one I've played the most, I've never even touched the others. (Note: I don't own Revengeance yet. Or Ground Zeroes or Phantom Pain. Though I probably will someday. To be thorough.)

And I'm rather sadistically enjoying the hell out of people stepping into MG5 and discovering the massive levels of whiskey tango foxtrottery in the game and story design.

Thus shall I live vicariously through you allllll!  >:D O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 06, 2015, 09:42:29 AM
First of all, diamonds are "money" and therefore they go straight to your account as GMP - there's no way of looking to see how many you've collected that I know of...perhaps in the user profile.

As diamonds are money and go straight to your GMP account, I think that the diamonds that you find prior to a save checkpoint are put straight in to your account and cannot be retrieved again but diamonds that are collected after a checkpoint can be located again.

I just restarted a mission (from a checkpoint) about 5 times recently (trying different tactics out), and each time I went to the same cabin and picked up the same diamond under the bed.

I think  :)

Maybe it is the checkpoint doing it....since I can't for the life of me get the diamonds to be selectable again.  Maybe another dumb question, are diamonds even important to collect?  What are they used for?  Are they just for achievement purposes?  Or do you really need them to complete the game?

JudgeDredd

#73
Man they are seriously important. They give you GMP which is currency (I don't know what it stands for and not particularly fussed)

GMP is used to research a new piece of kit and used when buying supplies and I think for paying your soldiers <- not sure on that last part.

But anything that costs in the game uses GMP and that is built up by collecting diamonds and I think mission parameters being met.

You can also sell resources collected in the field for GMP if yer stuck...but I think they are used for research also - so don't sell everything.

Alot of I thinks in their - but as JH correctly pointed out - I tend to jump in and go for it

If I hadn't put JH off the thread, he'd probably be able to help. If you've got any burning questions, I'd suggest a PM to him.

About your diamonds...are you saying they aren't there anymore (which I thought initially) or that they are there but you can't pick them up (not being selectable again)? I definitely think (if they aren't there) then they were collected prior to a checkpoint and anything you collect after a checkpoint will be there again - which makes sense so that people can't just reload a checkpoint and collect all the diamonds again giving them loads of GMP.

For the record, some diamonds are worth 10,000 and some 100,000. I would suggest doing the side mission that allows you to grab an interpreter. Then you can capture and quiz soldiers which, in turn, gives you information on the location of resources and diamonds - as well as specialists in the area.

I'd also upgrade your iDroid early on. That allows you to see soldiers stats. That way, you can be selective on who you are going to stun and send back and who to kill. All I do is use the binos and if the target has reasonable stats, I put a merker on them (left clicking) - that way I know not to kill that one after I interrogate him

I hope this helps.

By the way - if you are saying the diamonds are there but you just can't press R to select them, then there's an issue there that I haven't come across. The closest I have gotten to that is on under the bed and everytime I went to the bed it changed my stance to "hugging" (like at a wall) and I couldn't press R. It took some careful movement and fiddling but in the end I was able to find "that spot" that gave me the R option.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

As for the diamond....I started a mission and during the first attempt the diamond was there and I collected it.  But then I decided to restart the mission and when I did that, the diamond was not there (not even shown to collect) anymore.  I understand not stockpiling the diamonds by restarting, but I guess I would have thought when you did a restart, it would take the diamond out of your account/inventory and put it back in to be collected again.

I guess I should just get over it and move on:)