Main Menu

From the Depths

Started by ArizonaTank, July 16, 2015, 05:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ArizonaTank

I picked up "From the Depths" during the Steam summer sale, and it has been my obsession ever since.  For an "alpha" game, it is very playable, and the most important features are all available. 

The basic theme is naval combat, and the game is a mix of open sandbox 4x, vehicle builder, and strategic RPG.  IMHO, it is what Bohemia's "Carrier Command" should have been. 

The player is encouraged to design their own weapons, vehicles, and bases (there are plenty of pre-designed ones for those who don't want to do this), and then join a massive naval campaign.  I believe there is an online campaign available, but I have been playing the AI locally (and it is enough to manage by itself).

In the campaign, the player establishes bases at resource locations, and then builds a navy and air force to defeat the other factions.  Battles are played out in beautiful 3D, and the player can jump into the seat of any of his vehicles to fight, or let the competent AI do the dirty work.

One of the great things about the game is the sense of immersion.  Sea and weapons physics are very believable.  A small cannon firing against sloped metal armor, will tend to do little damage and bounce.  Damage and hits are tracked by location.  If you don't have your ammo magazine in a protected part of the ship for example, one lucky hit and your magazine explodes.  With some strange exceptions (this is an alpha after all), the ships act on the heaving waves just as they would if they were real.  Pictures don't really do the game justice.  While the vehicles look like pure fantasy on a screen-shot, in game they feel real.  Naval battles, with two behemoths, duking it out with huge guns, is one of the best naval gaming experiences I've had for a long time.

The game has a bit of learning curve, despite the large amount of hand holding it does for new players. 

Anyone else playing this gem?  Would love to trade war stories.

One of my less successful designs.  Turret is under-gunned, and top heavy.  Capsizes easily in rough seas.


A fast PT Boat.  Wood construction for cheap builds in the early campaign.  Two nasty long range torpedoes, and a ram to finish off the wounded


Lots of community content for download from Steam.  Here is someone's design for the USS Olympia.  Fully functional, all guns work


More community content.  A very fast and vicious patrol boat.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

I've been very close to buying this on several occasions, but always held back. Some of he videos just made it look too over the top. However, I never knew there was a serious single player campaign component. I thought it was all build and fight, with an emphasis on mp. I may now take a second look.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 06:36:36 AM
I've been very close to buying this on several occasions, but always held back. Some of he videos just made it look too over the top. However, I never knew there was a serious single player campaign component. I thought it was all build and fight, with an emphasis on mp. I may now take a second look.

I haven't touched MP yet.  I am playing completely locally, with the AI running six factions.  The game has diplomacy, so you can make peace with your neighbors, but I haven't really used that feature too much yet.  But yes, the campaign is where the fun is. 

The biggest reason I use the vehicle designer and skirmishes is to solve particular things I have seen the AI doing.  For example, I had one of my bases behind two islands.  I built a small fortress on the only strait between the isles to keep the enemy at bay.  The SOBs came at me with airships and flew over the islands.  So I had to do some quick design in the designer to build AA capability for my base. 

Short skirmishes are a great way "test" designs.  The vehicle designer lets you warp in enemy vehicles of your choice to test out your weapons.  But the real game is the campaign.

The "over-the-top" videos, really don't do the game justice.  It is much more cerebral and the action is well-suited for a "slower" hand.  Early to mid campaign, the player and AI fight with basic vehicles, and guns.  Later on, the player can get some better stuff, but the campaign is massive and I haven't gotten there yet.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

I understand there is combat beneath the waves and in space too. Have you done any of that?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 09:20:27 AM
I understand there is combat beneath the waves and in space too. Have you done any of that?

I haven't used them yet, but space vehicles (satellites) and subs are definitely part of the game.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Huw the Poo

I had the same preconception as Jarhead.  Added to the wishlist now.  Thanks for the writeup!

Huw the Poo

AT, I am currently very close to pulling the trigger.  Has it held up well for you?  Is it still in active development?  Most importantly, how's sub warfare?!

ArizonaTank

#7
Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 18, 2015, 05:38:47 PM
AT, I am currently very close to pulling the trigger.  Has it held up well for you?  Is it still in active development?  Most importantly, how's sub warfare?!

Between work and 7 Days to Die, I have not been playing much recently.  But yes, they have been improving it.  Don't know about sub warfare yet.  IMHO, a great deal, even at full price.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Swatter

Are we ever going to have a 7 Days to Die server?

Huw the Poo

Thanks AT.  In the end I was distracted by - and promptly bought - Planet Explorers but From the Depths is at the top of my list now.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Swatter on September 20, 2015, 04:10:47 PM
Are we ever going to have a 7 Days to Die server?

LOL...yes, I will put an unofficial Grogheads server up once the next big update hits.  They had a highlight video about a week ago, so that usually means it will be updated within a month.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 20, 2015, 04:13:08 PM
Thanks AT.  In the end I was distracted by - and promptly bought - Planet Explorers but From the Depths is at the top of my list now.

I can see getting distracted by Planet Explorers....good game that...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

...and its on sale over at BundleStars for $5.99 for the next ~3 days.  Tempted to grab it myself, but don't really have time to put into it.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

It's a sign!  I'm going to have to buy it now, aren't I?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 21, 2015, 11:50:11 AM
It's a sign!  I'm going to have to buy it now, aren't I?

Yes!!!  IMHO, a steal at that price.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.