TWILIGHT STRUGGLE (closed beta) activating soon on Steam

Started by JasonPratt, September 24, 2015, 11:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

IT COOMMMMMEEESSS!!

...it commmesss...

QuoteGreetings Backers!

Playdek here with an update for the digital development of Twilight Struggle. Currently we are working with Steam to get Twilight Struggle onto their platform, however we have run into an unexpected issue that has prevented us from being able to upload the game. We are just waiting for this last piece to fall into place so we can send the game out, however we do not know how long this will actually take so we apologize. We will continue to keep you up to date with information regarding the beta release as they develop. In the meantime, this has given us additional time to develop the game so that more features will be included when we are able to release beta.

Soon.

Soon.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

smittyohio

I've never played the boardgame, but I am a big fan of the CDG concept.  I love the game's theme, and I cannot wait.   First day purchase, and I will *definitely* play this one multiplayer once I've got a few games under my belt.

undercovergeek

yup, having taken part in the game we had here i loved it, cant wait for a PC version but i dont see 'soon' mentioned anywhere above JP  :-[

mirth

I think I'm the only person in North America who didn't love the boardgame.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

I don't love it either.  I like it, but it's not in my go-to selection of games I'd like to play most.  I think the components are great and I love the historical detail on the cards but I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay mechanic.  I've played a dozen times or so and I find that it tends to bog down into the same strategies nearly every time and there's too much riding on whether or not you you pull the right card into your deck when you need it.  I'll still end up getting the app.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 24, 2015, 12:07:26 PM
I don't love it either.  I like it, but it's not in my go-to selection of games I'd like to play most.  I think the components are great and I love the historical detail on the cards but I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay mechanic.  I've played a dozen times or so and I find that it tends to bog down into the same strategies nearly every time and there's too much riding on whether or not you you pull the right card into your deck when you need it.

That's how I felt about it too. I know plenty of guys who are kinda obsessed with it, so I figured I must not be getting something about the game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

#6
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 24, 2015, 11:56:06 AM
cant wait for a PC version but i dont see 'soon' mentioned anywhere above JP  :-[

According to the email (sent to Kickstarter backers like myself), the only reason the digital edition isn't on Steam already is because of an issue that cropped up while putting it on the Steam servers. Once they fix the problem, it'll at least be running open Beta. Though it may only be open for Kickstarters. Still the plan is to have it running this autumn.

[Edited to add: only closed beta for some kickstarters currently. The original email was a bit vague about that.]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Nice...this game is pretty good. 1989 is a good one, too.

Toonces

So this will have a single player vs. AI version?  I thought the intention was multiplayer only.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on September 24, 2015, 05:36:46 PM
So this will have a single player vs. AI version?  I thought the intention was multiplayer only.

Supposed to, last I read.

jomni

Any game that resembles Balance of Power is a must for me.

GJK

I'll be interested to see how it does as a solo game.  As with any other boardgame, I think much of the appeal is the player interaction while sitting at the table and I think that by not having that is the big reason why boardgame to PC game ports fail.  I don't want to be negative though so holding high hopes that it's a worthwhile design.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

I'm expecting to do some multi-player with it. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Why not just stick with VASSAL or the Tabletop Simulator versions if you're going the multiplayer route?  The tabletop sim version is realky well done.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=420342971&searchtext=

GJK

Gots me, the VASSAL module works great multiplayer, it even automates a bunch of the activities for you and it's free.  Plus you can put a lot of smack-talk in you chat log.  It's *that* back and forth that makes TT games enjoyable and as I mentioned, you just lose that with PC games unless you headset up.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer