BlitzMax (free download after creating an account at blitzbasic.com)

Started by gameleaper, September 21, 2015, 08:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper

BlitzMax (free download after creating an account at blitzbasic.com)

OJsDad, you may like this

gameleaper

I programed all my games in this, and its a very good and easy language"BASIC"

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

gameleaper

Im paid about £80 GBP for it, and it still sold for a high price a few days ago

Yskonyn

You might also be interested in App Game Kit by the Gamecreators.
What started out as a kickstarter for a development kit for cross-platform games, now seems to be going in the direction of a substitute for their older Flagship product; DarkBASIC Pro.

The upcoming additions to the 3D toolset are impressive, while DBP hasnt been updated for a while now.

You can choose to program in AGK in BASIC or C.

Www.thegamecreators.com
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gameleaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 22, 2015, 12:42:11 AM
You might also be interested in App Game Kit by the Gamecreators.
What started out as a kickstarter for a development kit for cross-platform games, now seems to be going in the direction of a substitute for their older Flagship product; DarkBASIC Pro.

The upcoming additions to the 3D toolset are impressive, while DBP hasnt been updated for a while now.

You can choose to program in AGK in BASIC or C.

Www.thegamecreators.com

thanks, that's really good news

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 22, 2015, 12:42:11 AM
You might also be interested in App Game Kit by the Gamecreators.

App Game Kit was recently part of a humble bundle, got it for a song.  So recommend keeping an eye out for deals.

To get back to the thread...I have long looked at Blitzbasic.  Plenty of good docs out there to help with it.  So this is good news.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

OJsDad

I did find a link on the Blitz web site for utility called MapEditor.  Doesn't look like it's being updated anymore, but it does look like it could be very handy in making hex grid maps.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GJK

You know what I would sign up for?  gameleaper giving how to instruction on designing and coding the various parts of the games that he does.  For years, I've looked at Blitzthis, and Blitzthat, and GameCreator this and that and every time I get stuck at the part where I actually do something that would be for a hex and counter wargame; be it the hexgrid or moving pieces along a grid or storing and retrieving attack-defense values, etc.  There's a gazillion examples on how to made a side-scroller but nothing really that pertains to *our* hobby.  gameleaper seems to of mastered how that's done and I'd love to have some of that knowledge!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

gameleaper

Quote from: GJK on September 25, 2015, 03:13:50 PM
You know what I would sign up for?  gameleaper giving how to instruction on designing and coding the various parts of the games that he does.  For years, I've looked at Blitzthis, and Blitzthat, and GameCreator this and that and every time I get stuck at the part where I actually do something that would be for a hex and counter wargame; be it the hexgrid or moving pieces along a grid or storing and retrieving attack-defense values, etc.  There's a gazillion examples on how to made a side-scroller but nothing really that pertains to *our* hobby.  gameleaper seems to of mastered how that's done and I'd love to have some of that knowledge!

here is a blitzPlus chess game with source code
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clhvr6fi58c0y2p/GameLeaperChess.zip?dl=0

If you look at the code of a chessboard its the same as a boardgame, you have chits and a board, you pickup a chit then click new position, if you expand the example code you can make a full size boardgame, the final code is named quitit3. a hex board is made not of hexes but squares one rank slightly lower than the previous and the next rank, you see the drawn hexes but its realy squares :)

I don't code like anybody else Ive met, I just crack every problem with a sledgehammer, I just do whatever code comes to mind , even do bad code that still works if you bend the problem. I asure you wargames are a great subject to program.

PLEASE PLEASE ignore the complex looking code here, you build a program slowly brick by brick and then forget the bricks, just look at the pricipals, also the blitzplus program is much more complex than is needed, I just am a bloating coder because I don't plan I just get on and do the code even though I do far more work than is needed, I should plan it better

gameleaper

I will jot down a few nuggets Ive learned as I think of them.

1) Hexes are really square(programing wise)

2)you need a grid to remember the board , what chit is there and what values for strength etc.. you do this with an array eg: board[50,50,20] so you have a 50x50 board with 20 elements for info, so board[1,0,1] = chitt1, board[2,0,1] = chit1, or board[2,0,1] = chit6

in this example the element 1([...,...,1]) is the chit slot where the grid remembers what chit is where

3) have a display function, with a FOR NEXT loop

  FOR x = 0 to 50
  FOR y = 0 to 50

    if board[x,y,1] = 1 then draw chit1

  NEXT
  NEXT

you would actualy write something like this "drawimage(x*40,y*40,frame=chit)" 

that is for 40x40 pixel chits, and the chit variable is the number in the set of chits

gameleaper

board[1,0,2] could equal strength

board[1,0,3] could equal armor etc...

gameleaper

so now you have a grid, and a display function to draw the grid.

you now need to know where the mouse is hovering or clicking

you call a gethex function, basically you locate the mouse, by saying if mouseX is less than 40 and greater than 0 your on hexrow 1, and if mousey is greater than row 0 and less than 40 your on rank 1 etc...

your function has to locate the mouse anywhere on the board

gameleaper

you can only display a small part of a big board on the screen at a time, so you need an index for your display function, simple z = 0, and y = 0.

if you press down y=y+1
if you press up, y=y-1

if you press left z=z-1
if you press right z=z+1

then you just add z to x in your display function and add y to x