Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!

Started by Bison, September 25, 2015, 06:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Well my recent experience with having to do a clean install of Win 7 has left me with a perfectly empty gaming hard drive and frankly it feels like FREEDOM!  No longer do I have dozens of games that I never play just hanging out taking up space, because I'm under the false pretense that I might, maybe, someday play them. 

It's like I have a new computer just waiting for me to download something to optimize it's capabilities.  The nice part is I don't have to load up a bunch of fancy, dancy crapola just to see how well the graphic card does at maxing out a games settings.  Also there is some freedom in that I'll figure out which game distributer and publishers are my friend on the bold frontier of digital downloads. 

Now for the really exciting part.  Deciding what game to install and play.  And maybe, just maybe I'll be able to make and keep a new gamer's amend.  No new games installed until I've either played an installed game to finish be that story line, campaign, or perhaps a minimum of 20 hours.  If I don't like a game in 20 hours then is it save to assume the game is a lost cause to me?

So far the only thing downloaded is the Steam client and I'm getting ready to download Star Wars the Old Republic.  Beyond that the world of gaming is my oyster.  WOOT!!!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Windows 7? You MUST install Windows 10. You underestimate the power of the dark side. Join us...  >:D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

I tried 10 and it jacked up my system bad.  No.  I think I'll be passing on Windows 10 until I buy a new computer, by which time it'll be the next version of Windows.

Toonces

I remember that feeling.

ARMA 3 was first, followed by CK2 and Skyrim.

It really clarifies your thinking on where games stand in your rankings when you decide what order to install them in.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:51:37 PM
I tried 10 and it jacked up my system bad.  No.  I think I'll be passing on Windows 10 until I buy a new computer, by which time it'll be the next version of Windows.

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not upgrade to Windows 10, then you will meet your destiny.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Yes.  It's called gaming without a hassle.   Which ironically is very much what I had before I "upgraded" to Win10.  :)

Bison

/sigh/ It's quite difficult to decide on which game to install when you are in a total gaming funk.  I've got this sweet, sweet clean hard drive begging me to sully it's reputation with a game and I've got gamertile dysfunction.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Try the creepy "Shower With Your Dad" game. That should motivate you to finish it in a hurry.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison

Hmmm....I'm...uh....going to have to pass on those options.

-budd-

been there, i give you 6 weeks and you'll have 40 games installed :D. Variety is the spice of life after all. Besides your going to want to install all the new games you buy in the next 6 weeks..... and steam makes it so easy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

FarAway Sooner

I think budd is right.

Men weren't intended to lead monagameous lives...

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

If only women were as easy as games..... I would never win one.  :buck2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.