National World War I Museum and Memorial

Started by Bison, October 10, 2015, 02:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

If any of you all ever get a chance to visit Kansas City, be sure to make a visit to the National World War I Museum and Memorial.  It's a very well done museum covering WW1.  Some of the films and mini-documentaries are very striking.  Anyway here are a few of the photos I got on my latest visit. https://theworldwar.org/

The outside façade from a distance with an image of Pershing and the walk up to the memorial tower.








Bison

Posters and a copy of HG Wells book predicting the War to End All Wars.




I took this one specifically for Gus.




Bison

A few of the uniforms.  The first is an Imperial German uniform, the second is a British uniform and the Guideon and Uniform for one of the German Sturmtruppen.  And of course a good 'ol USA uniform.  This particular uniform was worn by one of the few Soldiers known to have served in both the German and American armies during the course of the war.  Interesting story.






Bison

And a couple of photos of some of the equipment.







LongBlade

There are a number of remarkable artifacts there.

There is an anti-tank gun, one of only two in existence. It's not highlighted and if you don't know it's there it's easy to miss.

The French field gun (the grey one - on of the first you see when walking in) had such sophisticated mechanics that you could rest a wine glass on its carriage and fire it and the wine wouldn't spill. The French thought it so secret that enlisted could only disassemble it in the presence of an officer - on pain of death.

Personally I find the purple nurse's uniform to be very touching. That deep purple isn't something you'd think of as a color for a uniform.

There is also an African-American uniform there with...wait for it...the Gadsden flag's coiled snake and motto on (IIRC) the left shoulder patch.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Awesome, I have to get out there. The German storm trooper banner is bad ass.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Staggerwing

The Jewish Welfare Board was one of the organizations later rolled into the USO.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Honestly one of my favorite parts of the museum are all of the posters. 

LongBlade

There was a painting in the air corner of some aerial combat. A long rectangular piece that was quite inspiring. Loved that, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.