Scariest Game you Played this Year

Started by Gusington, October 14, 2015, 12:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Yes it's Halloween time, my favorite time of the year  :D and I'm at a loss for scary things to play. I think it's because there is just so much available now and I'm getting older and slower and just can't keep up with releases like I used to. So...scariest PC/console game you played this year? Any genre will do but I would prefer something along zombie/ghost lines. Thanks all!

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gus, go over to YouTube and check out a poster named Markiplier. He's kind of a dork, but who isn't in these forums. :)

He does a LOT of scary games. Specifically:

Soma (a new one, he only has two episodes up so far): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETFY9VqLbY

Cry of Fear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZp1s0qmEbU

Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=cNsUbtV001E
(he does a lot of Freddy vids)

The Evil Within: https://youtu.be/nmsiQJjVY2w?list=PL3tRBEVW0hiA1OzUvQeEHTtlcYwmmw4fZ

A collection of some of his scary games he plays through:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3tRBEVW0hiBSFOFhTC5wt75P2BES0rAo
https://www.youtube.com/user/markiplierGAME/playlists?shelf_id=31&view=50&sort=dd

His sense of humor is pretty good despite his dorkiness, which helps deal with jumpscares. Maybe search around his channel and check out a couple of the Part 1 vids to see what you think.

tgb

The best zombie game, hands down, isn't particularly scary - Rebuild 3:Gangs of Deadsville.

But if it's scary you want - try this on for size.

JudgeDredd

I stopped playing Alien:Isolation for a reason  :'(
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
I stopped playing Alien:Isolation for a reason  :'(

Same here, though I've been meaning to return to it for October. Since I stopped BEFORE EVEN REACHING THE ALIEN!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
I stopped playing Alien:Isolation for a reason  :'(

Same here, though I've been meaning to return to it for October. Since I stopped BEFORE EVEN REACHING THE ALIEN!
lol - same here!
Actually I think I did see the Alien...but I was petrified even up to that point!

I so want to play it...but it scares the crap out of me! It's only a game damn it!  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I don't know if it counts as scary, but did you ever get around to playing the Ghostbusters tribute 3PS game, Gus?

I know you were thinking of Batman: Arkham last year, too, which has some actual scary zombie rush portions late in the game and TONS of haunted house atmosphere.

Time to mention Sang Froid again, too; a little too cartoonish to be scary, I guess, but again dripping with Early North American Halloweenish atmosphere (though nominally set at Christmas, for Antichrist reasons I guess).

My demonstration-ish AAR of the first few minutes can be found here on the boards.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

The Ghostbusters game is nowhere near being scary. It is humorous, though, and features the voices of the original cast (I think Ramis wrote the script to the game, too...I think...)


WallysWorld

For this year, it was:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl which I'm still playing. Still get goosebumps when radiated creatures come after me.
Penumbra: Black Plague. I still shudder when I think of some of the truly scary parts of that game. Glad I completed the game as it was worth the effort.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

^^ Yes, it was essentially canonical GB3, written by Ramis, all original voice actors (including samples from Max Von Sydow as the 2nd movie bad guy.)

I played a few missions of the original SPACE HULK computer adaptation (from the 90s) again this past year, as I often do each year. Sound and mission design still make it super-panicky and, in its way, still the best version of Cameron's Aliens on the market.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Seconding Alien: Isolation (not that I've played it) because I've watched some videos and it looks awesome.  Also I've heard absolutely amazing things about Soma and its pedigree is stellar; the developers also made the Amnesia and Penumbra series.

I've also heard that Outlast is absolutely terrifying.

sandman2575

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 02:40:14 PM
I've also heard that Outlast is absolutely terrifying.

Yeah, Outlast does seem to have the most street cred as "game that gives even hardcore horror fans nightmares"...

Not that I'd know from personal experience, mind you -- I get spooked just dungeon crawling in Skyrim...

Scary games are scary.

BanzaiCat

F*ck Alien Isolation. I'mma NEVER play that game.

However, I did watch Markiplier's Let's Play series on the game. I'm good with watching someone else try to not shit their pants.

SirAndrewD

Alien Isolation is a game that's actually stressful to play. 

It's quite an accomplishment. 

I have never been able to power through it. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

#14
Wow there were no replies and then all of a sudden...Shannon Tweed games!

Batman Arkham...didn't that one have problems?

Ooh...Outlast...*mental note*
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd