Bloody DCS Activation Problems

Started by JudgeDredd, October 14, 2015, 02:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Had to rebuild my PC from a failed Windows 10 rollback and now I can't get BS or BS2 Upgrade activated. All my other modules activate.

I'm unsure whether the problem is due to the new BS2 module I have downloaded (when installing the old one I was told I needed a newer module) or whether it's because it's the BS2 upgrade and I've not activated BS1...I just installed BS1 and then installed BS2 upgrade

Once again though - activation, DRM and general BS for gamers who have paid for software  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

I had this issue when I was reinstalling the modules with beta 1.5. If I recall, there was another BS selection in the module list that I needed to install.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Thanks and yes...I got the message that the install I had wouldn't work and I had to download a newer version...which I did.

To be fair, the installation and activation for all other modules was super smooth. I'm just wondering if this is a complication from the BS2 module being an upgrade.

I'm re-downloading the BS and BS2 modules and going to give it another go. The activation Windows I received (both of them) were both titled BS2 ...which makes me think something went wrong with the BS1 install
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

#3
I reinstalled BS1, fired it up, put the activation key in and then exited. I then re-installed DCS, loaded a BS2, put the key in and it worked.

I didn't fire up BS1 previously - so I wonder if that was the problem.

Anyway - all good and back up with DCS  O0

I've just went through that second BS2 install in my head and there's a drop down list for the type of key to use...4 options, 2 for Russian install and 2 for international install. Of them, there's one for BS2 and one for BS2 Upgrade...I'm pretty sure on my first install I just left that on BS2 International Key... :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:16:29 PM
Had to rebuild my PC from a failed Windows 10 rollback and now I can't get BS or BS2 Upgrade activated. All my other modules activate.



I've always had this problem when trying to upgrade my Steam version of Black Shark, with the Black Shark 2 upgrade pack. 

With the original Steam version, I needed to have it installed in Steam first.  Then it would take numerous repeated attempts before something just happened to work.  In between restarting Steam & my PC & retrying to register the upgrade serial, it eventually did so. 

In between, it would say that it has been registered but when I run the main DCS program it wouldn't show it as such until I kept at it numerous times.  :tickedoff:

Goddamn annoying.  At a few points, I started wondering if they made it so infuriating as to persuade you to buy the regular BS2 version on a sale.  I've refused to do so, since the copy I have should F'ing work as advertised.

I've seen numerous DCS forum posts about this issue.  Everyone using the BS2 Upgrade pack (and BS Steam version?) has it.

Tuna

DCS is a pain and their Helpdesk isn't as responsive as Battlefronts!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 04:54:48 PM
...I've refused to do so, since the copy I have should F'ing work as advertised.
...
lol - amen brother  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Boggit

Oh Black Shark... ::) I was wondering what BS and BS2 was. I just thought it was you expressing your thoughts with the DRM! ;) :2funny:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Thomasew

Hi,


I was having similar problems with BS1 and the BS2 upgrade ..  >:(

Eventually, .. and to maintain my sanity, .. I purchased the Full Version of BS 2, in one of the Sales .. $10 I think.

.. no problems since.  :) .. not a solution obviously, .. but, .. it solved my problem ..  8)

Now, .. I just have frustration with the Mig-21, .. and it's key issues. Keeps informing me that my hardware has changed, .. when it hasn't, .. and needs re-activation ..  :crazy2:

.. leaving it de-activated it DCS 1.5 until they sort it sort. Seems ok in DCS 1.2

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Nefaro

So, in summary:


Yet more needless DRM-induced problems.


::)


Yskonyn

Black Shark is the red-headed stepchild of DCS.
Black Shark 1 got updated to Black Shark 2. Existing customers could buy the upgrade and new customers could buy the stand alone BS2 pack.
With the way their DRM works, original BS1 customers have the biggest hoops to jump through.
I did as Thomasew did; wait for a sale and get the BS2 standalone, eventhough I already own BS1 and its upgrade to BS2.

I managed to get it for 80% off or so. The reduced amount of frustration trumps the few dollars extra if you want to use the BS module regularly, IMO.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 16, 2015, 06:04:46 AM
Black Shark is the red-headed stepchild of DCS.
Black Shark 1 got updated to Black Shark 2. Existing customers could buy the upgrade and new customers could buy the stand alone BS2 pack.
With the way their DRM works, original BS1 customers have the biggest hoops to jump through.
I did as Thomasew did; wait for a sale and get the BS2 standalone, eventhough I already own BS1 and its upgrade to BS2.

I managed to get it for 80% off or so. The reduced amount of frustration trumps the few dollars extra if you want to use the BS module regularly, IMO.

Ugh and even though I bought mine when 2 was out. The product page somehow let me (mistakenly) by 1 first. then 2, and yeah it does suck getting them installed from what I remember.

Nefaro

It was made even more frustrating because the DRM/activation process for the BS2 Upgrade Pack would actually tell me that it successfully did so.  Then the main DCS screen would also say it is activated, but when I tried to run BS2, it would kick me back out and say, "you don't have a valid BS2 activation". 

RAWR

Had to go through that multiple times before it would actually start working. 

I've installed it two different times over the past few years since it came out.  It did that every time.   I'm still not exactly sure what the magic combination is.  Blood sacrifice and a boatload of patience?

JudgeDredd

#13
Seems my DCS woes aren't over.

I have the "upgrade" version of Flaming Cliffs 3 (because I had Lock On) and for some reason Lock On is not even being recognised in my disc drive.

This is a new disc drive to one I had previously when Lock On was loaded. For some "foil hat" reason, I'm suspecting DRM. Did Lock On not use that [I[evil[/I] DRM? Stardrive was it?

Anyway - whatever it is, it will not spin up and so I can't install that and so no FC3 for me.

Off to Google - see if I can pick up any ideas  O0

*edit*
Just read - Starforce!

Right...no FC3 for me - at least not in that format.  >:D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

DoctorQuest

This explains why I only buy DCS stuff on sale. The products are good but this kind of crap tarnishes it badly. Not worth paying full price. And I don't feel any particular loyalty to a company that screws with its customers like this.

It might also explain why they have to have so many sales.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.