This Date in History: Discuss

Started by Bison, October 21, 2015, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison



I can tell you in 1985 I didn't even own a computer.  I had D&D books and a couple board games making up my total collection of gaming.

undercovergeek

C64 - lords of midnight, the hobbit, way of the exploding fist and attack of the mutant camels

Tuna

#2
Was playing Empire and Star Trek on Vax 11/780.. lol.. would stay after work on Saturdays... The beginning of the downfall into that ugly disease called Gaming Addiction!


bayonetbrant

Playing a couple of mediocre maze-type games on my old 128k beige-box 1st gen Mac, since StratCom and Wizardry and POR and Dark Castle and Ancient Art of War were all still a few years away.
But using MacPaint to make my own D&D counters, and later, a lot of orbats for wargames.
Also used a lot of MacWrite for my own RPG rules, variants, expansions, etc.

When the BattleTech bug bit about 18 months later, I had a LOT of orbats, unit histories, backstories for conflicts, etc, on a made-up world that some friends of mine and I used for wargaming.  We basically fought a LOT of sci-fi ground battles without the mechs for those games, and in our actual BattleTech games, had almost no other units on the map other than the mechs.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

SSI was taking all my money for C64 games. But the best was Computer Ambush! Followed closely by Kampfgruppe.
Many, many hours spent in Ambush rather than doing my university assignments.... 8)

sandman2575

Likely was still playing Donkey Kong Jr. on ColecoVision in '85 -- don't think we owned a computer yet. Lots of friends had the venerable Commodore 64 though. Was jealous...

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2015, 07:48:13 AM


I can tell you in 1985 I didn't even own a computer.  I had D&D books and a couple board games making up my total collection of gaming.

  Seems like in 1985 I played an early flight sim and various war games (Ancient Art of War?  Napoleon laughed when he beat you?)  For one space game I think I had to wait til early 1986 and some kind of VGA patch.

Sir Slash

Me and the Amiga kicked some serious ass in Kampgruppe and later Might and Magic I. I remember having a tough time deciding which of the 3 games I owned to play. I was working like a Sled Dog, didn't have any money, and didn't give a damn about it. I thought I was the only Wargamer in the whole world. But.... where the hell is my damned Hoverboard I was promised by now?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

WallysWorld

In 1985, I think I still had a Timex Sinclair and then replaced it with a Commodore 64 a year later. My brother had an Intellivision and I remember playing "Dambusters" a lot on that console.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

IronX

Dambusters was great - apart from waiting several minutes for the game to load from floppy. But that was life back then. Imagine making a game now centred around a single mission. Still, it entertained us for many hours.

My favourite game from 1985, also on the C64, was Mech Brigade.

JudgeDredd

I wasn't playing any games - in October 1985 I was in The Falklands serving Queen and Country.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:07:04 PM
I wasn't playing any games - in October 1985 I was in The Falklands serving Queen and Country.

i thought you were my age?

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Tinkershuffle

I was trying to form my first two to three word sentences.

bob48

Probably playing 'paradroid' or 'Elite' on the C64.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!