This Date in History: Discuss

Started by Bison, October 21, 2015, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


bob48

Did someone call?......................
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

^ proper old fart  >:D

Why? What age are u UCG?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Father Ted

Hmmm...some brinksmanship here I fear.  For my my part I remember these films pretty well (on release) - which puts me pretty much at the median age for Grogheads I reckon.

Gusington

In October 1985 I was 11 and had narrowly dodged a family move to New Jersey to move to another part of Brooklyn. Now that I look back at what NYC was like in 1985 I can't believe I made it out alive.

Anyway I had just got a C-64 and was probably playing Impossible Mission or Archon with my best friend, who, thankfully, is still my best friend.

It would be a few years until I graduated to an Amiga 500 and discovered Cinemaware.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WYBaugh

October 1985 would see me as a junior at the University of Florida at the young age of 22.  Playing the heck outta my Atari 800 XL.

Cyrano

It is Trafalgar Day, M-er F-ers and anything that stands between me and more than a few tots of rum in honor of the Immortal Memory is getting squished like a bug...and no wild-eyed old dude in a poorly-made car is convincing me otherwise...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:07:04 PM
I wasn't playing any games - in October 1985 I was in The Falklands serving Queen and Country.

I was in middle school ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Freshman year of high school.  Trying to look up the cheerleaders skirts and not get squashed like a bug by the Seniors.  Oh!  GAMES?!  Um...a lot of D&D books, Risk, and Colecovision with an Atari 2600 adapter.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

In 1985 I was in nursing school in the morning, then worked in the ER or drove around in an ambulance in the afternoon and evening. Also, three times a week I'd race around in my Subaru Brat, carrying a big orange jump bag and playing first responder from about midnight to 8AM. Any evenings off I had I'd spend in New Haven clubbing/catching bands at Toad's Place, the Moon, or the Ozone. I'd also take off to hang with friends in Manhattan or Astoria for a weekend when a psycho girlfriend du jour got too dramatic. From 1988 to about 1993 I messed around a bit with a Commodore Vic20, TRS-80 CoCo 16, C-64 and finally an Amiga 500 but not much wargaming from end of high school to early 1990's. That's when I got a PC and computer wargames and later rediscovered a box of my old HighSchool stuff over my parent's garage containing my copies of Von Richthofen's War, Panzer Blitz, and Panzer Leader.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

FarAway Sooner

In October 1985, I was just starting my junior year in high school, had been driving for two months, and had more than 2 year under the belt with my old Commodore 64.  By then, I think I was finishing up Karateka, Impossible Mission, Crush, Crumble and Chomp and Ultima III.

Took a bit of a hiatus from gaming during the school year, as I'd discovered soccer and was trying mightily (and very unsuccessfully) to discover girls...