Struggling to make war?

Started by spelk, October 22, 2015, 06:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spelk

I'm in a funk and am having trouble shaking it at the moment.

I really WANT to play some wargames, but as soon as I fire something up, I remember the time and mental investment needed and then instantly hanker after some hot adrenalin soaked tactical FPS combat. The buzz from reacting to real time combat in an immersive sense seems to light up some parts of my brain that I can't get from more measured and considered chit shuffling. YET. My intellect wants history soaked emotional involvement on a good map with some detailed chits and important decisions to mull over.

It's really odd.

If I read or listen (podcast wise) to any computer based wargaming, I instantly hanker after it, but once I get to the load screen, and perhaps load a scenario, start to digest the situation, I get fidgety, I start to crave action, I end up saving the game, and booting the console, and turning on Planetside 2 or Evolve or something else... bah.

My sugarfreegamer values are mature, considered, strategy or wargaming. Hyper and Hypo styley. At the moment I can't seem to shake the Hyper cravings.

What a Silly Billy I am.

Barthheart

Yer not alone. I have several outstanding board war games that I've received in the past year that really need more playing... but after opening the box my work addled brain just wants to blow stuff up while the PC takes care of all the rules.

I think we've all developed computer generated ADHD.....  :P

bob48

I'm really enjoying going back to board wargames again. Enjoying 'La Bataille de France' a lot at the moment.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

You're not alone, spelk.  Gus is my soulmate, but if I were to take another, it might be you.   :smitten:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Yes. This is a common affliction that I suffer from as well. It's like a virus, not much you can do about it, but drink a lot of fluids, get some rest and let it pass. Eventually, it will click and you'll find yourself managing counters again.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bob48

We could do with a decent MMO that any grog can jump into and play co-op or as a guild. Not WoW though, I've had my fill of that.

'Otherlands' looks promising.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

It's hit me to lately after months of regular ASL playing but I'm not fighting it.  I'm on a TT Blood Bowl kick and am having a blast with it.  Eventually though, I'll tire of it and want to get in to some other gaming; perhaps back to ASL, perhaps with one of a dozen other board wargames that I've received lately.  It's the same with computer wargaming - yes, the computer interprets the rules, rolls the dice and even moves your opponent but you still have to fight the GUI and perform 100's of clicks and that can burn you out just as easily as reading a rulebook and setting up a boardgame.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on October 22, 2015, 06:11:52 AM
I'm really enjoying going back to board wargames again. Enjoying 'La Bataille de France' a lot at the moment.

    I got back into board games about 4 years ago.  Now I'm buried in them (or my half of the basement is).  They take a bit more effort
to set up, but there's no sitting around waiting for the AI or the game to load.  There's always something to fiddle with.
     Plus with board games you get to have big plans for big tables and what not.

     So I'm enjoying my board games without playing them much these days.  In fact even on the computer I'm spending time making little scenarios in ARMAIII and DCS and just blowing things up.

     I imagine in a week or two, I'll be back at the board games a bit more.

Nefaro

Quote from: bob48 on October 22, 2015, 06:11:52 AM
I'm really enjoying going back to board wargames again. Enjoying 'La Bataille de France' a lot at the moment.


Same.

Although my preference for a wide variety of them leads back to the rules complaints & brain-bursting mentioned above. 

Seems like I'm reading a new rulebook every week, then trying to remember the ones I had previously read.  :buck2:

MetalDog

Quote from: bob48 on October 22, 2015, 06:11:52 AM
I'm really enjoying going back to board wargames again. Enjoying 'La Bataille de France' a lot at the moment.

Not everyone is tired again like you, bob, and has all this free time on their hands :P
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Blucher

#11
I had this problem for the longest time. The thing that broke it for me was PBEM. I am now more focused on the games I play and have finally broken the ADHD spell of games. Yes I play a lot of PBEM's but doing all the turns takes me about an hour in the evening. Then I play something else for a little while. Also it helps to take a break from gaming sometimes. Read some books watch some TV shows take a couple weeks off from gaming. My gaming time is limited by family but I have found PBEM's have helped me focus my time. Instead of wasting my gaming time loading up games then not playing them.

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on October 22, 2015, 09:55:57 AM
Although my preference for a wide variety of them leads back to the rules complaints & brain-bursting mentioned above. 

Seems like I'm reading a new rulebook every week, then trying to remember the ones I had previously read.  :buck2:


This is right where I am. Too many new board games leading to too many new rules/systems to assimilate. I've been buying stuff faster than I can possibly absorb and play it. I've put myself on a moratorium for the foreseeable future, until I can get caught up.


Of course this week I received La Bataille de France because Bawb made me buy it, and Sticks and Stones because I ordered the next issue of Yaah! Magazine and it has a scenario for it in there, so why not get the original game?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

:-)

A new scenario you say?...........
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

panzerde

Quote from: bob48 on October 24, 2015, 10:00:09 AM
:-)

A new scenario you say?...........


For Sticks and Stones, not La Bataille de France, which I am about to punch out...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres