Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: Father Ted on August 19, 2015, 03:32:14 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 19, 2015, 01:42:50 AM


I might break my gaming fast for this one.   O:-)

For me it was more a case of a wafer-thin mint...but I did it anyway.


Oh shit! It's Mr. Creosote!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

besilarius

Fasting is okay, probably a good idea in this era.
But watch the shellfish. Lots of generals died from bad shrimp.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

jomni

Pike and Shot is Updated.
QuoteCampaigns: Significantly increased chance of defending army fighting either open battle or defending field fortifications rather than retreating when province is invaded. If they fight an open battle against a superior invading force there is a chance they will engage the invader before all his troops have arrived.
Campaigns: Improved auto resolution algorithm for defensive (field fortification) battles.
Campaigns: Corrected bug in reporting of supply limits for provinces with enemy armies in them. Now correctly reports supply limit that will apply for player armies when the enemy field army has been driven from the province.
Corrected sound effect for Szeklers and Lancer Banners shooting.
Corrected troop description of Veteran Late Pike & Shot and LG.

Philippe

For me the big news with this update is not the bug fixes but the fact that the army lists have been extended to 1690.

That means that sooner or later we'll start seeing scenarios on things like the last siege of Vienna by the Turks, the Scanian War, or the battle of the Boyne.

The game now provides a framework for the period stretching from the end of the Middle Ages to the dawn of 18th century warfare. 

I think the periods before and after (18th century and Medieval) would be better served by a different engine.  But what this current engine will be able to cover in detail in these two centuries is pretty exciting.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Philippe on September 08, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
For me the big news with this update is not the bug fixes but the fact that the army lists have been extended to 1690.

That means that sooner or later we'll start seeing scenarios on things like the last siege of Vienna by the Turks, the Scanian War, or the battle of the Boyne.

The game now provides a framework for the period stretching from the end of the Middle Ages to the dawn of 18th century warfare. 

I think the periods before and after (18th century and Medieval) would be better served by a different engine.  But what this current engine will be able to cover in detail in these two centuries is pretty exciting.

Can't wait to play the Battle of the Boyne
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Boggit

It's a nice piece of work, and makes the Pike and Shot game just so much better IMHO. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on September 08, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
For me the big news with this update is not the bug fixes but the fact that the army lists have been extended to 1690.

That means that sooner or later we'll start seeing scenarios on things like the last siege of Vienna by the Turks, the Scanian War, or the battle of the Boyne.

The game now provides a framework for the period stretching from the end of the Middle Ages to the dawn of 18th century warfare. 

I think the periods before and after (18th century and Medieval) would be better served by a different engine.  But what this current engine will be able to cover in detail in these two centuries is pretty exciting.

  I bought the game.  If it covers the period 1494 to 1698 in an even remotely convincing fashion, I'm in.  So far it has been reasonably convincing (Tutorials!)

Dimitris

It's a great game, and Richard is a terrific guy and incredibly passionate on his work and subject. I cannot recommend it enough.
Command: Modern Operations
https://command.matrixgames.com/

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on October 14, 2014, 12:03:14 PM
And that's why I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the idea that Slitherine's game portrays 17th century warfare in anything but the costumes.

   I was originally not so skeptical about 17th century musketry as everyone else in this thread-- I'm pretty sure you could kill a lot of people pretty fast with muskets, otherwise why would they steadily replace pikes?  Moreover the change in musketry from say 1650 to 1750 seems to have had more to do with regulating musket fire (eg. fire by platoons) rather than changing its basic nature.

  So, eventually I bought the game.  It is clearly more a case of design for effect (like a board game) rather than a total simulation (like DCS Nine-Years war or Combat Mission Dutch Revolt would be), but as a design for effect game, it works fine and musketry will hit lots of people, which seems quite realistic to me.

jomni

#324
It's clearly a tabletop wargame game design more than an accurate simulation.  You'll be amazed that every bit of abstraction in the game has its logical reasoning (not documented anywhere though).    Just ask the designer.  He is open to fine tuning the rules too if it has merits.

panzerde

Quote from: MengJiao on October 23, 2015, 02:51:41 PM
So, eventually I bought the game.  It is clearly more a case of design for effect (like a board game) rather than a total simulation (like DCS Nine-Years war or Combat Mission Dutch Revolt would be), but as a design for effect game, it works fine and musketry will hit lots of people, which seems quite realistic to me.


I...I would buy Combat Mission Dutch Revolt. Think they'll release it anytime soon?  O0


I'm back in one of my frequent musket & pike obsession periods, and I'm having a "love and not as much love" relationship with this game. I'm playing some of the same battles in P&S as I am in GMTs Musket & Pike series. I'm finding that a lot of the historical scenarios included with Pike & Shot are so abstracted as to be completely different battles than what they're supposed to depict. That's less true of the historical scenarios created by the community, most of which are very, very good.


I think the biggest thing I miss in P&S I've remarked on before: lack of leaders and any sort of command and control. Certainly not including that makes for a simpler, more playable game. It loses some of what I find interesting about the period, though.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MengJiao

Quote from: panzerde on October 23, 2015, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 23, 2015, 02:51:41 PM
So, eventually I bought the game.  It is clearly more a case of design for effect (like a board game) rather than a total simulation (like DCS Nine-Years war or Combat Mission Dutch Revolt would be), but as a design for effect game, it works fine and musketry will hit lots of people, which seems quite realistic to me.


I...I would buy Combat Mission Dutch Revolt. Think they'll release it anytime soon?  O0


I'm back in one of my frequent musket & pike obsession periods, and I'm having a "love and not as much love" relationship with this game. I'm playing some of the same battles in P&S as I am in GMTs Musket & Pike series. I'm finding that a lot of the historical scenarios included with Pike & Shot are so abstracted as to be completely different battles than what they're supposed to depict. That's less true of the historical scenarios created by the community, most of which are very, very good.


I think the biggest thing I miss in P&S I've remarked on before: lack of leaders and any sort of command and control. Certainly not including that makes for a simpler, more playable game. It loses some of what I find interesting about the period, though.

  Omitting command and leaders seems very odd.  Still it is a fun game and does seem to produce roughly historical outcomes in some mysterious way.  It reminds me in some ways of Flying Colors -- reasonably abstract with a lot of period flavor, but you can push it in a more
convincing direction if you want to.

Staggerwing

Quote from: MengJiao on October 23, 2015, 02:51:41 PM
Combat Mission Dutch Revolt

This must happen, this must be a thing.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 26, 2015, 08:30:35 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 23, 2015, 02:51:41 PM
Combat Mission Dutch Revolt

This must happen, this must be a thing.

Umm...


Wouldn't that just be extending the timeline of Pike & Shot a bit?   Up to the War of Spanish Succession at least?

Philippe

Pike and Shot already runs from the end of the fifteenth century to the end of the 17th.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.