Middle East campaign series releases sep. 24

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 21, 2015, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Crossroads

Quote from: Tuna on October 27, 2015, 06:23:03 AM
Does it let you do a 'mix' of Nato symbols on the board and vehicle pictures in the Unit Cards? I really like the zoomed 2D option. I've been back in JTCS lately and the 2D zoom there is too far out.

Hello Tuna! Well not with 2D unit icon sheet... You could have the NATO sheet on 2D map while the 3D unit graphics on Unit Cards. A bit like with TOAW:



But yes, been thinking adding an option to select Hex Infobox graphic independently from on-map units to our Wish List myself too, if that's what you meant?
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Bison

Those are beautiful nato counters.  I'm excited at the possibility of them being implemented in a re-release of western and eastern front.

Philippe

As far as NATO counters go, I think I prefer these:

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Crossroads

Quote from: Philippe on October 27, 2015, 11:09:07 AM
As far as NATO counters go, I think I prefer these:

Very nice! That's a PzC title with the Map Mod in place?

We also have an option for NATO counters with white background only:



But with no color at all, just using the counter background color? Had not thought about that!

Give me a few minutes here....  :D
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Philippe

It's a mod I was working on last year that I never got around to finishing.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Crossroads

Quote from: Philippe on October 27, 2015, 11:29:06 AM
It's a mod I was working on last year that I never got around to finishing.

Very nice! I really, really like how you've put all the colors in with such a perfect blend (or how do you say it? English is not my language...) so it creates this nice overall harmony  :)

Meanwhile, here's our counters with a NATO sheet with no color in the boxes.



We've overdone the counters a bit for we wanted them to have this little gloss like cardboard counters on a mapboard.

Would be very easy to mod, together with our terrain. Wink wink hint hint!  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Jpg conversion giving me the griefs again  >:(
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Bison

The issue I have with the new tiller zoom view is that the counters scale in a very pixelated manner.  The tller engine already suffers from an outdated UI and the zoomed in counters do not help relieve that issue.  I think rather it exacerbates this issue of the engine being outdated.   Of course it does help ailing eyes see the board better, but is not bringing a new generation of wargamers to the titles unfortunately.   Yes I think the aestitics of the games look has an effect on gamers even old grognards more then they care to admit.

Crossroads

Quote from: Bison on October 27, 2015, 11:54:25 AM
The issue I have with the new tiller zoom view is that the counters scale in a very pixelated manner.  The tller engine already suffers from an outdated UI and the zoomed in counters do not help relieve that issue.  I think rather it exacerbates this issue of the engine being outdated.   Of course it does help ailing eyes see the board better, but is not bringing a new generation of wargamers to the titles unfortunately.   Yes I think the aestitics of the games look has an effect on gamers even old grognards more then they care to admit.

Yep, there's no magic bullet for scaling up with an algorithm. I think TOAW has a zoom level that is an algorithm too, it just does not work out.

Scaling down works reasonably well, but for new zoom-in levels there's no alternative but to create all graphics anew manually. Otherwise it is pixelated and ugly.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Bison

It's been awhile since I last played toaw 3, but I don't recall the zoomed in counters being too horrid.  Tbh it's hard to look at games wite, witw, or flashpoint counters and not wonder "what if".  Anyway it looks like you all are going about it in the right manner and doing the painful but hopefully appreciated work of rebuilding the counters from the ground up and not using a short cut that makes them just bigger and ultimately uglier counters.

Crossroads

Quote from: Bison on October 27, 2015, 12:22:58 PM
It's been awhile since I last played toaw 3, but I don't recall the zoomed in counters being too horrid.  Tbh it's hard to look at games wite, witw, or flashpoint counters and not wonder "what if".  Anyway it looks like you all are going about it in the right manner and doing the painful but hopefully appreciated work of rebuilding the counters from the ground up and not using a short cut that makes them just bigger and ultimately uglier counters.

With PNG toggled OFF the bitmap counters lack the 2D Huge files and it is scaled up instead iirc. You know you have the right (or wrong rather) setting when you see them... Not that you want to play with them, but a good example that there's no alternative to actual right sized files.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Cyrano

I am shockingly grateful for the JTS ultra-zoom.  It really does make my day better.  I also very much appreciate the effort made in CS:ME to offer MANY levels of zoom...even accommodating those who, for reasons that continue to evade me :), like the 3D models.

I will say, I prefer the NATO counters WITHOUT the background.  Is that a future release, or have I just missed it?

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Tuna

Quote from: Crossroads on October 27, 2015, 10:06:56 AM
Quote from: Tuna on October 27, 2015, 06:23:03 AM
Does it let you do a 'mix' of Nato symbols on the board and vehicle pictures in the Unit Cards? I really like the zoomed 2D option. I've been back in JTCS lately and the 2D zoom there is too far out.

Hello Tuna! Well not with 2D unit icon sheet... You could have the NATO sheet on 2D map while the 3D unit graphics on Unit Cards. A bit like with TOAW:



But yes, been thinking adding an option to select Hex Infobox graphic independently from on-map units to our Wish List myself too, if that's what you meant?

This is exactly what I meant! Very cool, so you can use the NATO symbols, but have the ability to quickly see what model of vehicle it is on the unit card.

Pinetree

Quote from: Cyrano on October 27, 2015, 02:17:08 PM
I am shockingly grateful for the JTS ultra-zoom.  It really does make my day better.  I also very much appreciate the effort made in CS:ME to offer MANY levels of zoom...even accommodating those who, for reasons that continue to evade me :), like the 3D models.

I think of it as the difference between those who prefer miniatures wargaming and those that prefer board wargaming. It's great that the CS gives us the option of both.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Crossroads

Quote from: Cyrano on October 27, 2015, 02:17:08 PM
I will say, I prefer the NATO counters WITHOUT the background.  Is that a future release, or have I just missed it?

Well if you like them I could put them into CS:ME 1.01 as a mod.  Why not.  :)


Quote from: Tuna on October 27, 2015, 02:31:42 PM
This is exactly what I meant! Very cool, so you can use the NATO symbols, but have the ability to quickly see what model of vehicle it is on the unit card.

OK. It is supported already. Options -> Infobox Counters places the 2D counter view into Hex Infobox (Unit Card), so if you have NATO icons that's what you will have there too. By making sure it is not selected, these 3D graphics are shown instead.

Quote from: Pinetree on October 27, 2015, 02:34:39 PM
I think of it as the difference between those who prefer miniatures wargaming and those that prefer board wargaming. It's great that the CS gives us the option of both.

They take a lot of work to create but they are going nowhere. 2D and 3D will both continue to be supported. Each platoon has it's specific 3D sheet with six facings, so it is far easier to do things in 2D. But yeah, both will stay for sure.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam | CS: Middle East

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East DARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY