LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.

Started by JasonPratt, November 02, 2015, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Updated thread title accordingly.

Yes, I sound like a teenaged girl.

No, I am not ashamed.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I've said previously (whilst transitioning between FC3 and FC4, the latter of which I have enjoyed more generally than FC3 but which I haven't finished yet), that if Ubisoft ever figured out how to make a prehistoric Far Cry, they would have a license to print money.

It may not have dinosaurs (I... guess?? I wouldn't bet entirely against them showing up anyway), but Primal could be primed to take a market position by offering up a host of prehistoric mammals not usually found in Jurassic Parkish survival games.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek


JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

i feel i have let you down

bring me my fake enthusiasm generator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Philippe

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

glen55

Sweet.  I will be on that.

It reminds me of, but doesn't quite scratch my long-standing itch for a prehistoric strategy game.  Ever since the original Civ I came out, I have wanted somebody to zero in on the early part of the game, where your tribe is trying to hold off predators, then inventing basic technologies, and eventually claiming land and forming some kind of government.  Take us up to the formation of nations - no, it's not necessary that we get up to the point of war mechs battling for Mars.

I think something a little more localized and tactical than Civ would be even better.  But it needs to cover warfare, diplomacy, the economy and technology.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 03, 2015, 12:43:06 PM
i feel i have let you down

bring me my fake enthusiasm generator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all the enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms.


Enthusiasms...

(Now let's see who gets that movie ref. This game will certainly be bringing a knife to a mammoth fight, if that helps.  :coolsmiley:)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: glen55 on November 03, 2015, 05:00:35 PM
Ever since the original Civ I came out, I have wanted somebody to zero in on the early part of the game, where your tribe is trying to hold off predators, then inventing basic technologies, and eventually claiming land and forming some kind of government. 

My impression is that the game will be doing this from a 1st Person Shooter perspective. The player's tribe having been exterminated, you escape into another tribe's territory having to work your way up from scratch (apparently to prepare to prevent the same thing happening again, not sure how yet).

I'll be curious to see how they're handling language. It sounds like they're working with an invented protolanguage from the game, which you'll be expected to learn by immersion (somewhat like the old Outland 3PShooter). Whether the game will allow you contextual hints in your 'native' language (the equivalent of English, French, etc.), I can't tell yet; it'll be kind of crippling if not, sense we parse learning languages as adults in terms of how we already know a language.

Either way, I can foresee some interesting DLC possibilities for using the game's setting as an immersive language tutor. Want to learn basic Hebrew? The people in the game speak Hebrew, in a situation designed to teach you to understand and communicate with what they're saying.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

savatee

My son, Elias Toufexis, does the voice of the lead character and, yes, Ubisoft hired a linguist to have a language for these people. I sounds really interesting and I'm certainly going to try it out. Just to hear my son speak in an unknown language. Sort of what it was like when he was a teenager.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

It looks - erm...interesting??

But I don't think I'll pull the trigger early on this. I love Far Cry, but one of the beauties of the game are the huge array of weapons...pointy sticks, clubby sticks and arrows don't really float my boat.

I'm interested - but I'm definitely going to wait on a lot of impressions.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 07, 2015, 01:02:15 PM
It looks - erm...interesting??

But I don't think I'll pull the trigger early on this. I love Far Cry, but one of the beauties of the game are the huge array of weapons...pointy sticks, clubby sticks and arrows don't really float my boat.

I'm interested - but I'm definitely going to wait on a lot of impressions.

Don't worry JD, I'll find you a good deal on release day:)

JudgeDredd

lol

After I posted that I was going to come back and edit it with "And Gus - no thanks. Not even a cheap voucher will make me buy this one early"

And I do mean it  :-\
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people