Main Menu

Hard West

Started by KyzBP, November 21, 2015, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KyzBP

Is anyone playing this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/

I did a search and didn't see any mention of this in these here forums.  I'd like to hear some opinions.

I've been in a gaming funk lately and this looks just weird enough to keep my attention. 

bbmike

I went through the tutorial and started one mission. It is very X-Com like. I liked what I saw but haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Also, I don't like that you can't save the game at any time. But, so far so good. Full disclosure - I like westerns!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

TacticalWargames

Worth the money definitely. I'm enjoying it. Though I can imagine having to restart the same scenario over and over again as you keep dying near the end will get annoying. One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the mining for gold aspect.

bbmike

Not sure I like the mining. It seems like it's just a text/random chance game. But I agree, the game is fun!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

-budd-

so its a perma death kinda game. I am a big western fan, but just not into restarting over and over again. Well maybe if goes on a 75% off sale.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

TacticalWargames

-budd- not quite. It's just the mission your on you have to replay.

Arctic Blast

I need to actually sit down and play this, considering I did Kickstart the damn game. Perhaps it's time to park the shooters for a bit.

bbmike

Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 21, 2015, 11:51:18 PM
-budd- not quite. It's just the mission your on you have to replay.

Also know that (at least for mission 1) if anyone in your party dies, you fail the mission!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

KyzBP

Is the game itself linear?  Do you have choices to make between missions?  Do you choose between multiple missions?

Nefaro

#9
Quote from: KyzBP on November 22, 2015, 09:38:43 AM
Is the game itself linear?  Do you have choices to make between missions?  Do you choose between multiple missions?

More like a path with the occasional possibility of a branch. 

The map lets you pick & choose between a few locations at a time, but from the bit I've seen you're pretty much led by the nose toward the next main encounter. 

From the little bit I played, the tactical part is quite fun and the artistic style is pleasing without being too gaudy.  But moving around on the map, prospecting and doing the occasional gunfight, is rather dull window dressing attempting to disguise the fact that the game progression is pretty linear.

It looks to be a good start because the battles are great, as is the Supernatural West setting.  Fortunately it's not a wallet buster.  Hopefully they will add some DLC to open the campaign up some more.   Just an impression from a 1.5 hour session; I've been locked into CoE4 lately.

JudgeDredd

That has been posted about on these forums I'm sure.

But no - not interested tbh.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Zulu1966

Have it - seems ok - not as good as xcom.

One thing I really dont like is an apparent lack of opportunity fire. Anyone found how to do that ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Nefaro

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 22, 2015, 12:28:43 PM
Have it - seems ok - not as good as xcom.

One thing I really dont like is an apparent lack of opportunity fire. Anyone found how to do that ?

There is no Op fire.