Ageod's Upcoming Napoleonic Game

Started by spelk, August 12, 2015, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dinsdale

Quote from: panzerde on November 24, 2015, 10:41:09 PM
Agreed. Having said that, if AGEOD's Thirty Years War is an indicator, this will be pretty good. You might also give this a look. Aging a bit, but it has had some recent updates and it more like what you're looking for, I think. I'm a big fan of the Zucker games, myself.
Agree with the TYW comment, similar problem but I find the game really enjoyable. I got Frank Hunter's game just prior to him joining Matrix, loved the fog of war where you weren't sure where your own units were.


Quote
If you haven't tried Tiller's Napoleonic Campaigns games HTH, particularly a large campaign scenario, you may find those very compelling, too.
I haven't played them for a while, though I remember the Napoleonic and Civil War games were worked much better than the WW2 titles. Been looking at he HPS and Tiller games recently, I held off on getting Scourge of War, so I should really get one :)

Rayfer

Quote from: dinsdale on November 24, 2015, 10:35:00 PM
I love the AGE engine, think it plays well, looks good, and allows you to jump straight into almost any game once you've learned one of them.

I am a little pessimistic about the Napoleonic game though. I love Kevin Zucker's operational board games, but I've never come across any computer game which has been as compelling. It's all a bit railroaded, and combined with expectations that Napoleon always wins battles until he develops piles, very predictable.

Early years; Napoleon and his Panzers crush everything. One line of advance through the Danube, through Germany or through Italy punctuated by Nappy winning battles.

Late years; What's wrong with Napoleon. Cold and hungry, run away from the Russians... Oh no, the Prussians and Austrians have joined in. Shit, we're outside Paris.

Waterloo; hope the British and Prussians leave a huge gap for me to march through or I'm screwed.

I can't put my finger on why the boardgames work better, it may come down to die rolling and the decisions around moving center of operations or supply, but when it's automated and abstracted the games lose their appeal to me.

I really, really hope AGEOD nails it, but I think it's a very tough game to get right.

Interesting post dinsdale....having never played the board game (or any board war game since about 1985) your concerns are not ones I have to consider or deal with. I really like Ageod's ACW2 game and look forward to this new Napoleon game with optimism.

Xtiaan72

What is the latest on this? I hope it's good news.

spelk


WallysWorld

Release date confirmed by Pocus as December 3rd.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Queeg

The video shows one battle with 65% casualties on one side versus 81% on the other.  Hope that's not representative of the game generally. 

Grim.Reaper

Although I want to like ageod games, often buy and can't figure out.  But have to admit something about this game will likely make me buy tomorrow:)

I'll give them one more chance:)

Tuna

There are a lot of Video Tut's out there for AGEOD.. if you find a good one for one of the games you own, try it out. Make sure you can get into it. If not, don't buy another title, as you will not like that as well. But if you do get into it, the games/company is really good. Just can have a steep learning curve.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks tuna...have tried some videos and it's probably just me, hard to click.  Hoping this time period might make me focus better...of course as long as reasonable cost:)

Boggit

I'm expecting only good things from this. Pocus and his team always make an effort to get things right. If they do let any balls slip past them, they have the track record on support to fix them. I know that this is a project close to both Philippe's Thibaut and Malacher hearts, so I'm expecting it will be very good.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

Hoping so...seems like hype machine has been low on this one, but still looking forward.

Boggit

Both the Philippe's were talking to me about the game back at the Home of Wargamer's 2014 press event. I can can assure you they were very excited about the idea. FWIW, they are both pretty modest people, so maybe that is why the "hype machine" isn't so obvious. I suspect it will be to AGEOD's Napoleonic game what AGEOD's Civil War 2 was to Civil War 1. I'm expecting it will be very good, and will be disappointed if it isn't. On the basis of what little I know, plus past performance, I'm not expecting to be disappointed though.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

Sounds good....we will see tomorrow:)

tgb

It's out - $40. Since it appears the Aging engine (see what I did there?) has been tweaked to include more domestic policies and even diplomacy (yay!), I'll grab it, in spite of my misgivings.