War in the East question...

Started by Ubercat, November 26, 2015, 09:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ubercat

I thought I saw a WitE thread here recently but it doesn't appear to be in the first five pages. Time to start a new thread I guess.

Does anyone know, definitively, if every physical copy of the game comes with the huge physical manual? I want to get the game but I must have the manual as well. Buying from Ebay is pointless without the book. If I were to do that, I'd just D/L from the Steam sale.

Thanks!  Oh... and Happy Thanksgiving!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Con

Might not be answering your question directly but I put all my manuals on the ipad as a pdf.  This allows me to read them as I am playing.  the other advantage of doing this with WiE is there are several good help tutorials written by players and I have also saved them as pdf files.  So an ipad for me now is an essential piece of wargaming kit

Con


Grim.Reaper

According to the store page...it says....

Standard Edition: This edition comes with a full color printed box, full color printed CD (with your order number and serial number printed on it), a Printed grayscale manual and a PDF E-Book indexed manual.

Pete Dero

The manual might be outdated and incomplete :

From the Matrix forums
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3232006


RE: Updated Manual - 8/1/2015 1:44:28 PM       


So is the printed manual now for sale (August 2015) the original manual or a version which includes current updates?

(in reply to Apollo11)   


Joel Billings
Moderator

It's the original, and IIRC, only a small portion of the WitE pdf manual was printed.




JasonPratt

I'm sure the manual is technically outdated, but when I ordered it several years ago (before the expansion) it came with a printed manual.

Updates don't tend to fix the pdf versions of the manual either, so IN ANY CASE the manual is going to be outdated. Not sure if you can copy-paste from the pdf to try to make a 'living manual' to update anything worth updating.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Zulu1966

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 26, 2015, 10:16:50 AM
The manual might be outdated and incomplete :

From the Matrix forums
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3232006


RE: Updated Manual - 8/1/2015 1:44:28 PM       


So is the printed manual now for sale (August 2015) the original manual or a version which includes current updates?

(in reply to Apollo11)   


Joel Billings
Moderator

It's the original, and IIRC, only a small portion of the WitE pdf manual was printed.


Given the amount of errata this game has generated the manual is Very outdated and incomplete. Even the 'living' updated manual is very out of date. IIRC the printed manual was only a subsection in any case. Definitely not worth paying extra for.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

BigBlueFleet

Agreed with above. I'm a fan of hard copies so a CD is must have for me but the enclosed manual at this point isn't worth looking over as too much has changed.

JasonPratt

Quote from: BigBlueFleet on November 26, 2015, 07:50:57 PM
Agreed with above. I'm a fan of hard copies so a CD is must have for me.

This, this, a thousand times this.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Egad.  With the prices available for this game plus its add-ons, I should just go ahead and bite the bullet for this one, shouldn't I?


-budd-

WITE and expansions appear to be cheaper on steam. $54.00 for the whole bundle.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Dammit Carl!

Oh yeah...its sooo close to going into the shopping cart.

Blows my "budget," for the other games I've got in mind to get, but man, what a way to go.