Campaigns on the Danube v3.0.4 out

Started by Asid, December 01, 2015, 03:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asid

Finally   ::)

Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809



Download (65.7MB): ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/CampaignsOnTheDanube/COTD-Update-v304.zip

Here's the changelog

Patch v3.04 Fixes
Changes

1. Fixed Broken terrain display problem
2. Fixed "Label1" display problem
3. Fixed loading saved game and clear weather map displayed when should be mud
4. Fixed issue of corps HQ following detached unit Added the "h" hotkey to turn the hexgrid on and off Fixed problem of lack of messengers.
(this last fix required changing the data footprint so previous saved games won't work with 3.04 unfortunately)
5. Made it easier to assign a corps to a separate supply depot than the rest of its army easier
6. Improved Austrian AI to make it more aggressive
7. Various minor bugfixes
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JasonPratt

 :o

I haven't played this game in ages. Loved its theory and (mostly its) implementation. I recall the last update came out of nowhere after many years, too...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Hmmm.....is it in the Matrix holiday sale? I've looked at this one a few times but never pulled the trigger.

JasonPratt

It should be. Practically everything is, unless absolutely new, and that game was around back when I first bought from Matrix. It was in fact one of the first games I bought from them. (Not directly, though; I bought my Matrix games through NWS for many years, usually splurging after Christmas.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Rayfer



panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

amandachen

Thanks for the news, Asid. I'll give this a try.

-budd-

This play nice on Win7 64? Hows the learning curve, any tutorials included?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

panzerde

Quote from: -budd- on December 01, 2015, 09:05:25 PM
This play nice on Win7 64? Hows the learning curve, any tutorials included?


I had no problem running it on Win7 64-bit. It has a bit of a learning curve to it, mostly because it isn't a traditional wargame in approach. I'd recommend starting with as little FOW turned on as possible to get a sense of how it works. At the highest level of FOW you don't even know for sure where your units are, you just get reports! The game mechanics aren't hard, but it tries hard to be an accurate 18th century command simulation. The frustration of trying to command troops in the SOW games at higher difficulties is here, just at the operational rather than tactical scale.


Also, let the computer manage supply to start. Mastering the logistics piece is another entire thing.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

-budd-

So you can't see your own units on map? How does that work. Don't think i've ever encountered that before. It's looks like a hex and counter game.Thanks for your replies.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on December 01, 2015, 10:19:20 PM
So you can't see your own units on map? How does that work. Don't think i've ever encountered that before. It's looks like a hex and counter game.Thanks for your replies.

Old review that you may find useful.

http://www.gamesquad.com/review/campaigns-danube

panzerde

Quote from: -budd- on December 01, 2015, 10:19:20 PM
So you can't see your own units on map? How does that work. Don't think i've ever encountered that before. It's looks like a hex and counter game.Thanks for your replies.


It looks like hex and counter, but it isn't, really. You never move any of your combat unit directly. Instead, you issue orders for them to move to a certain place at a certain urgency, and to take up a certain stance. There is an order delay as your messages are sent to various subordinate commanders by courier. Over the scope of the game, this can be several hours to a day or so. Units them implement the orders, but again, there can be a delay as a Corps CO issues orders to subordinate units. It's somewhat like Command Ops in that way...but you don't specify waypoints and paths, just destinations.


At high levels of FOW, the unit positions on the map aren't necessarily the actual positions of your units, but their positions the last time you received a report from them. If the unit moved and/or fought, it could be several hexes away from where you see it on the map. Likewise for enemy units. So, the units aren't invisible...but the actual position can have a great deal of uncertainty to it.


If you read John Gill's 1809 trilogy, depicting one of the two campaigns in the game, the system makes complete sense. Neither side ever had complete certainty of where the enemy was unless they were engaged, or complete certainty of where their own units were unless the commanding General could actually see them. Conceptually it's a magnificent depiction of Napoleonic operational warfare. Technically the game has been plagued with a variety of glitches and hassles, most of which seem to have been addressed by today's update.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

I wish the dev had gone on to make other games using this engine. There's nothing else out there quite like it.

It would make a hell of a multiplayer DAR, too.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!