Ageod's Upcoming Napoleonic Game

Started by spelk, August 12, 2015, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Yeah, I'm in. I have too many games to play right now but I love Ageod.   :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 09:27:53 AM
It's out - $40. Since it appears the Aging engine (see what I did there?) has been tweaked to include more domestic policies and even diplomacy (yay!), I'll grab it, in spite of my misgivings.

Yeah, I thought you were against this aging engine in the early discussions:). Will be interested in your impressions.

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 03, 2015, 10:04:23 AM
Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 09:27:53 AM
It's out - $40. Since it appears the Aging engine (see what I did there?) has been tweaked to include more domestic policies and even diplomacy (yay!), I'll grab it, in spite of my misgivings.

Yeah, I thought you were against this aging engine in the early discussions:). Will be interested in your impressions.

I said that I was tired of the engine and wanted to see Ageod try something new.  The addition of (I hope) a meaningful diplomacy system, allies that act autonomously, and greater freedom in shaping domestic policy made for enough of an evolution from a wargame engine to a grand strategy engine that I was willing to give it one more shot.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 10:49:25 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 03, 2015, 10:04:23 AM
Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 09:27:53 AM
It's out - $40. Since it appears the Aging engine (see what I did there?) has been tweaked to include more domestic policies and even diplomacy (yay!), I'll grab it, in spite of my misgivings.

Yeah, I thought you were against this aging engine in the early discussions:). Will be interested in your impressions.

I said that I was tired of the engine and wanted to see Ageod try something new.  The addition of (I hope) a meaningful diplomacy system, allies that act autonomously, and greater freedom in shaping domestic policy made for enough of an evolution from a wargame engine to a grand strategy engine that I was willing to give it one more shot.

Let us know if it made those advances, can't consider for purchasing until tonight so would love to know before.....keeping my fingers crossed since interested in the material.

tgb

I may not be able to dive in before the weekend.

Grim.Reaper


panzerde

Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 10:49:25 AM
I said that I was tired of the engine and wanted to see Ageod try something new.  The addition of (I hope) a meaningful diplomacy system, allies that act autonomously, and greater freedom in shaping domestic policy made for enough of an evolution from a wargame engine to a grand strategy engine that I was willing to give it one more shot.


It's funny, because this is exactly why I probably won't buy this.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

tgb

And in the "it never rains but it pours department", I just received download information for the beta of Victory and Glory (Slitherine's other Napoleonic war game)  ;D

Rayfer

Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 12:40:54 PM
And in the "it never rains but it pours department", I just received download information for the beta of Victory and Glory (Slitherine's other Napoleonic war game)  ;D

Just took a look at the handful of screen shots on the Slitherine site for Victory and Glory, and did not like the look of it at all. Not saying anything about gameplay....just the look of the map, IMHO, is painful to the eyes.

sandman2575

Quote from: Rayfer on December 03, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
....just the look of the map, IMHO, is painful to the eyes.

+1.  Far preferred the beautiful map of the original Napoleon's Campaigns. Small thing I know, but I hate the faux 'calligraphic' font used in this new version, as though it's supposed to look 'age of Napoleon-y' -- it just looks bad.

EDIT -- Oops, I guess Rayfer was talking about the other game!  Regardless, don't like the new map   :buck2:

tgb

Quote from: Rayfer on December 03, 2015, 12:47:09 PM
Quote from: tgb on December 03, 2015, 12:40:54 PM
And in the "it never rains but it pours department", I just received download information for the beta of Victory and Glory (Slitherine's other Napoleonic war game)  ;D

Just took a look at the handful of screen shots on the Slitherine site for Victory and Glory, and did not like the look of it at all. Not saying anything about gameplay....just the look of the map, IMHO, is painful to the eyes.

The developer's previous game, Hannibal, was nothing special to look at, but the gameplay and AI are so good I still play it, 10 years after release.

Slick Wilhelm

Yay, another Ageod game to purchase!  :smitten:

Now that I actually know how to play, this should be much more fun than in the past.  O0

Pete Dero


tgb

So:

After playing the small Waterloo scenario and firing up the Grand Campaign I can say that this is a standard Ageod game with some modifications:

1) You can play any Great Power in the Grand Campaign.

2) They took the diplomacy system from PrON and inserted it here.  Alliances are now important, as allies will support you autonomously.  You can't declare war without a CB, and can't pass through another nations territory without a right of passage treaty.

3) National modifiers - Every country starts with a set of perks (perhaps the ability to form Corps right from the start, or the abiitiy to recruit more cavalry).  Playing Decisions and Edicts will add more modifiers or even remove some.

Turn resolution is still pretty slow in the Grand Campaign, but better than To End All Wars.  I don't have the beefiest systems, so you might have better luck.

Blucher

Quote from: tgb on December 04, 2015, 06:22:01 PM
So:

After playing the small Waterloo scenario and firing up the Grand Campaign I can say that this is a standard Ageod game with some modifications:

1) You can play any Great Power in the Grand Campaign.

2) They took the diplomacy system from PrON and inserted it here.  Alliances are now important, as allies will support you autonomously.  You can't declare war without a CB, and can't pass through another nations territory without a right of passage treaty.

3) National modifiers - Every country starts with a set of perks (perhaps the ability to form Corps right from the start, or the abiitiy to recruit more cavalry).  Playing Decisions and Edicts will add more modifiers or even remove some.

Turn resolution is still pretty slow in the Grand Campaign, but better than To End All Wars.  I don't have the beefiest systems, so you might have better luck.

I saw that people with pretty strong systems are complaining about sluggishness and long turn resolutions. I'm guessing yet again they have not updated the engine to take advantage of multi-core processors.  The guys who re-released WW1 Gold (Centennial Edition) figured out how to speed up AGEOD's engine. This is disappointing.