Ageod's Upcoming Napoleonic Game

Started by spelk, August 12, 2015, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

I was going to pick up but nothing in the initial impressions I have seen really has pushed me over the edge yet.  And if turn processing is yet again slow as I have seen stated in a couple places, just not something that will interest me at this time.

tgb

I should have followed my instincts.  I started the 1806 campaign as the Russians (offered as an option) and found I had one garrison (locked) and one flotilla for trade.  That was it.  I couldn't raise an army, conduct diplomacy, build troops, etc.  All I could do was hit "next turn" and watch the world go by.  I posted about this on the Matrix forum and the official reply (from Pocus at Ageod) was "Well, you picked an uninteresting option."

Guess what, Sparky.  As the developer, it's up to YOU to make ALL the playable options and scenarios interesting.

SO I went back and fired up the Grand Campaign, again as the Russians.   Two turns (with 5 minute resolution times) of waiting for my units to unlock.  While waiting for the third turn to resolve (again, 5 minutes) I got a CTD.

Uninstallation achievement reached!  I'm just sorry I didn't get it on Steam so I could at least get a refund.

Rayfer

Quote from: tgb on December 05, 2015, 08:53:19 AM
I should have followed my instincts.  I started the 1806 campaign as the Russians (offered as an option) and found I had one garrison (locked) and one flotilla for trade.  That was it.  I couldn't raise an army, conduct diplomacy, build troops, etc.  All I could do was hit "next turn" and watch the world go by.  I posted about this on the Matrix forum and the official reply (from Pocus at Ageod) was "Well, you picked an uninteresting option."

Guess what, Sparky.  As the developer, it's up to YOU to make ALL the playable options and scenarios interesting.

SO I went back and fired up the Grand Campaign, again as the Russians.   Two turns (with 5 minute resolution times) of waiting for my units to unlock.  While waiting for the third turn to resolve (again, 5 minutes) I got a CTD.

Uninstallation achievement reached!  I'm just sorry I didn't get it on Steam so I could at least get a refund.

Yikes...! I've been seriously thinking about getting this game since it released but having read some of this threads comments I'm not sure. The release of ACW 2 improved ACW1 to an awesome degree and I was hoping the same for this Napoleonic game improving the earlier, similar Napoleon's Campaigns. Appears this might not be the case at all.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the info...I guess I am glad I was unable to purchase the first day...maybe they make improvements along the way to pick up at some point, but although I can deal with many shortcomings, long turn processing is just a pet peeve of mind since I am too impatient:)

W8taminute

I'm glad I held off buying this game on day one and tgb your feedback confirms this for me.  If it becomes available on STEAM and goes on sale I'll get it.  Hopefully by then we'll all know if the poor turn time resolution is fixed or not.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

panzerde

Quote from: Rayfer on December 05, 2015, 09:04:34 AM
Quote from: tgb on December 05, 2015, 08:53:19 AM
I should have followed my instincts.  I started the 1806 campaign as the Russians (offered as an option) and found I had one garrison (locked) and one flotilla for trade.  That was it.  I couldn't raise an army, conduct diplomacy, build troops, etc.  All I could do was hit "next turn" and watch the world go by.  I posted about this on the Matrix forum and the official reply (from Pocus at Ageod) was "Well, you picked an uninteresting option."

Guess what, Sparky.  As the developer, it's up to YOU to make ALL the playable options and scenarios interesting.

SO I went back and fired up the Grand Campaign, again as the Russians.   Two turns (with 5 minute resolution times) of waiting for my units to unlock.  While waiting for the third turn to resolve (again, 5 minutes) I got a CTD.

Uninstallation achievement reached!  I'm just sorry I didn't get it on Steam so I could at least get a refund.

Yikes...! I've been seriously thinking about getting this game since it released but having read some of this threads comments I'm not sure. The release of ACW 2 improved ACW1 to an awesome degree and I was hoping the same for this Napoleonic game improving the earlier, similar Napoleon's Campaigns. Appears this might not be the case at all.


Sadly, this is exactly what I was beginning to suspect as the release got closer and more details started to come out. An improved Napoleon's Campaigns, where the focus was on specific campaigns would be great. Instead they applied the same approach as To End All Wars, grafted on a bunch of pointless stuff from PON, and have ended up with an unplayable game.


Sorry to hear this. I was really hoping I was going to be wrong and I'd end up buying it, because the subject may be my number one wargaming interest.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

This is why I said earlier it's way past time for the Ageod game engine to be replaced/updated.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

I have only played as the French but I find it to be the same as civil war two. Some units are locked some units are unlocked. Can't speak as to playing to the Russians but sometimes you just have to wait for units to unlock. And birth of Rome I remember playing the Parthians or something and all of their units were locked for the first few times so I concentrated on building new ones and raising money.  I have only played  A little bit but it strikes me as being a regular AGEOD game. If you like the previous ones you'll like this one but it certainly goes off Napoleonic war better than it did WW1.   Why don't you give France or Austria a shot. Huge armies with lots to do
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Tgb,  I saw the poster respond to your complaints about Russia in 1806 what he recommended what you play Russia in the grand campaign and not just the 1806 scenario. So you can play Russia just plain Russia in that small scenario was in a great option that's all
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

tgb

Quote from: mikeck on December 05, 2015, 04:06:58 PM
Tgb,  I saw the poster respond to your complaints about Russia in 1806 what he recommended what you play Russia in the grand campaign and not just the 1806 scenario. So you can play Russia just plain Russia in that small scenario was in a great option that's all

Did you read my whole post? I DID try playing Russia in the Grand Campaign. I'm 63.  I can't wait around for 5 minute turn resolution followed by a CTD.  I'll never make it to the end of the campaign.

mikeck

#70
I didn't read your whole post. I'm sorry you had a crash the desktop. If you want to give up the whole game because you had a crash the desktop plane rush out then that's up to you it's your money. I find the game resolutions to be longer than they are in the Rome games but much shorter than they are in pride of nations. I don't mind waiting 30-45 sec for a turn resolution but that's me. Even if it starts to go up to a minute or so I'm OK with that want to game this complex
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

tgb

Where in my post(s) did I say ANYTHING about 30-45 second turn resolution or even a minute.  If you are going to try to refute what I wrote, at least REFUTE WHAT I WROTE!!!!!!!!!

Swatter

Relax and have a beer, tgb.

In my opinion, I don't think your giving the game a chance. Its clearly rubbed you wrong, but you really haven't played it. Why make such a stink over a few turns played and a CTD?

tgb

What rubs me wrong is someone who wants to argue with what I posted  without bothering to read it or comprehend it.

Bison

Do you have the game on the long AI processing time?  Ageod games have the option to increase the amount of time a player gives the AI to think about it's moves.  Generally I increase it because it's like playing a computer chess.  The more layers it can forecast out the better it's moves will be of course chess programs routinely out think me, so maybe I should reconsider giving it more time to think.