Histwar: LG becomes Histwar Napoleon

Started by undercovergeek, December 04, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Yep, I sadly don't expect much new from them anytime soon...maybe they will surprise us some day:)

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on December 05, 2015, 06:18:37 PM

Thanks...but I didn't need a Press Release on the game.  I was looking for someone who actually played it.  I was looking at histwar.com for the forum.  That is where I was getting the forum error (500).  Why is there a .org?

And thanks to the others that gave me feedback...I'll skip it.

Sorry, but I posted this quickly at midnight local time to give the link to the forums.  The 'press release" was just to show that his new game (Steam Greenlighted) was supposed to be released in the first quarter of 2015 (hence why I put that in bold).  The fact that it didn't release and that there is no news about it is also not good news for his present games.

Couldn't give any feedback as I stuck with Histwar Les Grognards and never got the new one  (now i'm glad I waited)

Grim.Reaper

Did noticed this posted by the developer a few days ago...."maybe" we will see some movement, although I won't hold my breathe.  Find it hard to believe all that can be rewritten and tested in a very short time.


**From Developer**

Hi,

Resuming my activity, I am working on the new patch.  ;)
I am rewriting all code about the detection of collisions between units and units/inaccessible areas.
I hope this part will fix a lot of issues in the engine... no date but very high probability before XMas.  8)

Sorry for the delay...

JMM

RyanE

If this was anything but gaming software, the guy would have been arrested for fraud.  In my business, if I took money and didn't deliver, there is a chance I would be seeing the local sheriff.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 06, 2015, 07:32:55 AM
Did noticed this posted by the developer a few days ago...."maybe" we will see some movement, although I won't hold my breathe.  Find it hard to believe all that can be rewritten and tested in a very short time.


**From Developer**

Hi,

Resuming my activity, I am working on the new patch.  ;)
I am rewriting all code about the detection of collisions between units and units/inaccessible areas.
I hope this part will fix a lot of issues in the engine... no date but very high probability before XMas.  8)

Sorry for the delay...

JMM

I have long been a cheer leader for JMM and his quest for the perfect Napoleonic game. But if JMM stays his normal course the relationship between JMM and all of us in the Napoleonic fanboy club, is kind of like Michelangelo and Julius II in the movie the "Agony and the Ecstasy."  The repeated and  continuous exchange in the movie:  Pope Julius II: "When will you make it end?"  Michelangelo: "When I am finished." 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 06, 2015, 07:32:55 AM
Resuming my activity, I am working on the new patch.  ;)
I am rewriting all code about the detection of collisions between units and units/inaccessible areas.
I hope this part will fix a lot of issues in the engine... no date but very high probability before XMas.  8)

Given the track record of HWN's development -- how is the dev's claim that a new patch will arrive with "very high probability" in the next 2 and a half weeks even remotely credible?

Going out on a limb here and predicting there is exactly 0% chance this patch arrives before the new year.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on December 06, 2015, 09:48:35 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 06, 2015, 07:32:55 AM
Resuming my activity, I am working on the new patch.  ;)
I am rewriting all code about the detection of collisions between units and units/inaccessible areas.
I hope this part will fix a lot of issues in the engine... no date but very high probability before XMas.  8)

Given the track record of HWN's development -- how is the dev's claim that a new patch will arrive with "very high probability" in the next 2 and a half weeks even remotely credible?

Going out on a limb here and predicting there is exactly 0% chance this patch arrives before the new year.

Well, to be fair......he didn't specifically say which Xmas so I guess it could be Xmas in 2050:)


Cyrano

JMM's a one-man show and I've always admired his hubris, but he really now seems more Tantalus than Perseus...

The notion that a French developer would approach a Napoleonic game differently isn't really that strange. Just compare, say the Pratzen Editions' approach to that of La Battaile.  Both insightful...quite different...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Father Ted

Quote from: Cyrano on December 06, 2015, 10:23:09 AM
JMM's a one-man show and I've always admired his hubris

So, define for me hubris - to me it's pretty much synonymous with hype

mikeck

Well, either way, I bought a partially finished game. At least is playable
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Cyrano

By hubris I mean he's regularly bitten off more than he can chew...all the way back to when his Austerlitz was in the keeping of Matrix Games.  The story of his relationship with BFC would likely prove interesting reading.  He wants this engine to do so much, to be so much, but it just seems to keep slipping from his grasp.

He reminds me very much of a MUCH, MUCH more gentlemanly Derek Smart.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Cyrano on December 06, 2015, 10:32:46 PM
He reminds me very much of a MUCH, MUCH more gentlemanly Derek Smart.

Agree, JMM actually seems to like the people who play his games.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

panzerde

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 06, 2015, 10:57:37 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on December 06, 2015, 10:32:46 PM
He reminds me very much of a MUCH, MUCH more gentlemanly Derek Smart.

Agree, JMM actually seems to like the people who play his games.


A French Peter Molyneaux.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

Nah, Molyneaux's either deeply deluded or pathological...never been able to decide which. 
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ArizonaTank

JMM came within spitting distance of a great Napoleonic game with Histwar LG.  Here's hoping he does it this time.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.