Campaigns on the Danube v3.0.4 out

Started by Asid, December 01, 2015, 03:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 07, 2015, 07:03:23 PM
It installed fine and runs fine on my Win 8.1 system, by the way.

It looks kind of like the new patch features the whole game as a reinstall, so if you have your disc code that may work...?

Good call...seemed to work from the patch...strange though...my original install file was like 30-40 MBs bigger than the patch file....maybe better compressed.

JasonPratt

You might not have installed the pdf instructions?

The UI has changed quite a bit since release, but I doubt that's the difference.

Oooooh... that alternate map looks nice, Asid!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

My original attraction to this game was the feature that allowed you to fight battles with miniatures...making it a kind of miniature campaign system.  But I remember trying it oh so many years ago, and having it crash...so I gave up in frustration.  Does this work now?

Also, any hope for getting the game to run on a more recent OS like Win 7 / 8 or 10?

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

I just bought it and loaded it up in win7 64 without issue. Opened it and looked around haven't played yet.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

It runs fine on my Win 8.1 (in a window only, by the way, not full screen). That was after I patched it, I think, so I don't know whether it runs on Win 8.1 originally. (I installed from an original release disc.)

Well, I say "it runs fine", I haven't sent orders out to start a day's turn yet. I've been writing up introductory material for my AAR. (Which can still be shifted to a multiplayer game, btw, as long as the other side is playing France in the standard 1805 scenario.) For all I know it may crash. But meandering around, it hasn't crashed yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, it looks like Asid and I may be playing; we'll see if we can get things set up for PBEM.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

I just finished a complete game, with Chemkid's map and counter mod, running on Win 10. Not a single hiccup or problem. The game ran great and looks really nice with the alternate map. I tried the various different sound options and they all worked well. The alternate map really enhances the feeling that you are in your tent, planning the campaign, issuing orders, and receiving reports.

Once you get into the flow of issuing orders and understand what the different options mean, the game really flows. I was able to trap the Austrians against the Danube south of Regensburg and north of Passau. Between Davout and Lannes with support from the Guard and the Bavarians Charles didn't get north of the river with much of a functioning army left.

Honestly, the system for issuing orders to corps and handling supply is so elegant once you know what you're doing that the game became really relaxing to me. It's been ages since I felt relaxed when playing a wargame! It was really cool to see my corp commanders deploy their corps to achieve their missions. At one point I ordered an advance by Davout south along the Danube from Regensburg, and not only did he scout the path with cavalry, he deployed an advance guard of infantry and a rear guard of infantry and cavalry to cover his advance from the remnants of an Austrian force he'd beaten the day before.

I played the Crisis on the Danube scenario, which runs from early April to May 10th, 1809. I think I'll try the full 1809 scenario, next.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Heh, I saw you playing it through a Steam connection last night, P! (Not actually on Steam, but by a shortcut assigned to Steam's gamelist.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 08, 2015, 09:13:28 AM
Heh, I saw you playing it through a Steam connection last night, P! (Not actually on Steam, but by a shortcut assigned to Steam's gamelist.)


Yep!  :)  Though I actually left it running overnight after finishing the scenario and wasn't really playing it all night!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Note: I may have misunderstood Sid, so while we may still be doing a game, if someone else wants to volunteer to French up first, I'll ...

......


...man, there are some things which sound so much worse when I actually type them.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

So I decided to take the plunge.  Unfortunately the game is hanging on my Win7 rig.  Even trying various compatibility settings.  Sigh...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

chemkid

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 11, 2015, 07:41:31 AM
So I decided to take the plunge.  Unfortunately the game is hanging on my Win7 rig.  Even trying various compatibility settings.  Sigh...
...you've updated to the latest 3.0.4 version, i guess...
anyway, capaigns on win7(x64) here, too - no compatibility are needed on my laptop. weird!  ???
if you can't make it work try the matrix-forums and sent frank hunter a pm or mail - just my 5c.

panzerde

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 11, 2015, 07:41:31 AM
So I decided to take the plunge.  Unfortunately the game is hanging on my Win7 rig.  Even trying various compatibility settings.  Sigh...


Hmmm...very odd. I definitely ran the game on Win 7 x64 without issue in the past, and now on Win 10, again without issue. My suspicion would be something with your video driver rather than compatibility settings. What graphics card are you using?

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres