Campaigns on the Danube v3.0.4 out

Started by Asid, December 01, 2015, 03:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


ArizonaTank

Quote from: panzerde on December 11, 2015, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 11, 2015, 07:41:31 AM
So I decided to take the plunge.  Unfortunately the game is hanging on my Win7 rig.  Even trying various compatibility settings.  Sigh...


Hmmm...very odd. I definitely ran the game on Win 7 x64 without issue in the past, and now on Win 10, again without issue. My suspicion would be something with your video driver rather than compatibility settings. What graphics card are you using?

Silly me.  So when I first tried the update, I got a message saying I already had the latest version.  I believed it and shut down the update.  And of course, the message was wrong.  So now I just continued with the update anyway, and it seems to be running fine.  Thanks for the thoughts however.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

panzerde

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 11, 2015, 09:09:02 AM

Silly me.  So when I first tried the update, I got a message saying I already had the latest version.  I believed it and shut down the update.  And of course, the message was wrong.  So now I just continued with the update anyway, and it seems to be running fine.  Thanks for the thoughts however.


Excellent, glad you got it working!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

chemkid

puh! 良かった! now, back to work... ;)

@spelk - thanks for heads up!

ArizonaTank

Love the option to resolve battles offline with miniatures or another gaming system....  If you are not picky, even Napoleon Total War...  The only issue with it is that it is for two player only.

Anyway, a great feature that I wish other campaign games would use... 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Queeg

I had completely forgotten about this game.  I checked my old Matrix files, and there it was! 

This should provide a Napoleonic fix that I'm certain (given past experience) Wars of Napoleon won't be able to provide for at least a couple of patches. 

Asid

PBEM Issue

JasonPratt and I had agreed on a PBEM game. However there seems to be a bug which will not allow a PBEM game with full fog of war. So we are in a holding pattern....Will Matrix ever fix it?  :tickedoff:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4002268&mpage=1&key=&#4005950

From post 17: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3984063#

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

panzerde

Quote from: Asid on January 12, 2016, 03:38:24 PM
PBEM Issue

JasonPratt and I had agreed on a PBEM game. However there seems to be a bug which will not allow a PBEM game with full fog of war. So we are in a holding pattern....Will Matrix ever fix it?  :tickedoff:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4002268&mpage=1&key=&#4005950

From post 17: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3984063#

Regards


It really comes down to if Frank Hunter will fix it. Matrix isn't doing much to support the game from what I can see, and to be fair, it's an older game. The patches that have come out in the past couple of years are really just Frank deciding he wants to keep updating the game. That happens pretty sporadically, and when it does he's at the mercy of Matrix as to when the patch gets tested, packaged up, and released.


I understand their position; they only have so many resources to go around and this is an old game. I don't imagine they make much money from it, even with the small spate of purchases they probably saw at the end of 2015. It's sad though that such a great game can't get the resources for the final polishing it needs, or to allow Frank to release the rumored sequel.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Asid

Quote from: panzerde on January 12, 2016, 06:04:38 PM
I understand their position; they only have so many resources to go around and this is an old game. I don't imagine they make much money from it,
I Understand...However they still take the money  ::)

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

panzerde

Quote from: Asid on January 12, 2016, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 12, 2016, 06:04:38 PM
I understand their position; they only have so many resources to go around and this is an old game. I don't imagine they make much money from it,
I Understand...However they still take the money  ::)


That they do...if I'm not careful I'll get spooled up again on how they aren't handling support for the FOG games either, despite still selling them.


Definitely one of the less appealing aspects of Matrix/Slitherine.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

RyanE

That is an issue I have with several game publishers.  Not supporting a game because its old, yet still taking money from some poor slob who happens by and buys it.  If there are serious bugs not being fixed, it should be clear that you are buying it "as is".

Asid

Quote from: RyanE on January 15, 2016, 07:31:29 AM
That is an issue I have with several game publishers.  Not supporting a game because its old, yet still taking money from some poor slob who happens by and buys it.  If there are serious bugs not being fixed, it should be clear that you are buying it "as is".
It's even worse when they promote it and put it on sale  :knuppel2:
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Asid on January 15, 2016, 08:05:27 AM
Quote from: RyanE on January 15, 2016, 07:31:29 AM
That is an issue I have with several game publishers.  Not supporting a game because its old, yet still taking money from some poor slob who happens by and buys it.  If there are serious bugs not being fixed, it should be clear that you are buying it "as is".
It's even worse when they promote it and put it on sale  :knuppel2:

I think GOG does a great job of ensuring that the games they offer run well on most platforms. I have had very few problems with GOG games.

However, while I really like Matrix generally, it does bother me that they sell some very old games with little "fair" warning to the potential buyer. 

Napoleon in Italy for example, ran fine on my Vista rig, but has choked on my Win7 Machine.  Sure in the small print they never promise it can run on Win8 or Win10, but the way the game is presented it looks like it is a recent game...certainly has a "recent" price ($29).

And then there is Maximum Football...$39, last patched in 2008...the small print only says XP. 

I would be OK, if they put in large print somewhere, "warning, this game only runs on XP." 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Asid

Multiplayer bug!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4002268


Unfortunately there is a bug in multiplayer when using full fog of war. This is a show stopper.

Was posted on Matrix forums 6 Jan 2016... Still no fix... I have seen this before in older Matrix titles. It is annoying though as this was recently updated and advertised in the last sale. I know they can't support a product indefinitely but one of the most interesting features "full FOW" cannot be used in MP.  :tickedoff: The dev has been on the forum recently and discussed another issue but apparently ignored this big one.

This has affected the game I was going to play with JasonPratt. :'(

Oh well





War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

bbmike

That bug is so bad it also broke Jason's single player AAR!   :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak