SCOTUS upholds entire Health Care Law...

Started by Staggerwing, June 28, 2012, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

...including the individual mandate, not under the Commerce Clause but the Taxing Clause.

Quote
Question: If the individual mandate is unconstitutional, can the rest of the law stand, or is the whole thing unconstitutional?

The court's answer: The mandate is constitutional, rendering moot further questions on the rest of the law.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/28/how-will-supreme-court-rule-on-health-care-law/
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

...and Obama and the Dems swore up and down that Obamacare was not a tax  :o
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

I wonder how long this thread goes before being moved to R&P...  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Steelgrave

You don't have to worry about me chiming in....my head exploded at the news  >:(

Windigo

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 28, 2012, 12:35:40 PM
You don't have to worry about me chiming in....my head exploded at the news  >:(

Wrap it in bacon.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 28, 2012, 12:35:40 PM
You don't have to worry about me chiming in....my head exploded at the news  >:(
Mine too.  Not in a million years did I think it was going to stand up. 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Everything is better with bacon. And I'm digging your new avatar, Windy.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on June 28, 2012, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 28, 2012, 12:35:40 PM
You don't have to worry about me chiming in....my head exploded at the news  >:(
Mine too.  Not in a million years did I think it was going to stand up.

I've heard that Justice Kennedy was furious at Roberts. That's not something you hear every day, the Supremes are normally so close-mouthed.

Martok

#8
I'm still shocked it was Roberts who turned out to be the swing vote.  By almost all accounts, everyone had expected Scalia to be the one who was going to decide this. 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on June 28, 2012, 01:06:24 PM
I'm still shocked it was Roberts who turned out to be the swing vote.  My almost all accounts, everyone had expected Scalia to be the one who was going to decide this.
Roberts is starting to concern me. He seems to be a big Federal power devotee, with this and some of his earlier rulings. When this started, he was originally considered to be a swing vote, then in the hearings he sounded more likely to vote against it. Guess not.

Gotta love the "news reporters" on NPR today who could barely contain their glee. And of course, while a 5-4 decision to revoke Obamacare would have shown how partisan the Court is according to the media, a 5-4 decision to uphold simply shows how they thought it through to come to the right decision.  Yeah, my head's exploding.....I'm cutting the news off and putting Pandora on. Something calming.

Windigo

Steel... you sound like me when I hear something disturbing or disheartening coming from one of the branches of government.

Since I come from a socialized medicine nation, I wouldn't see this decision as a bad thing, so'd I'd buy you a drink and say lets go golf at a course where the golf cart -liquor girls are hot.


My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

This is stupid.  My head did not explode, but my heart broke. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

My dreams of retiring at 90 are all but gone.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Wow, that's gotta suck, you cant have your premiums cranked out of the budget when you get sick any more. Insurance companies will actually have to pay the insurance. :'(


More seriously its a strange system to have it linked to commerce. Tax maybe. To me medical is a national defence budget item. When the towers were hit the biggest loss was the people, then the symbol of the attack, then the buildings value. The commerce was a very small portion. The main thing that needs defending when you defend a country is the people. The culture of the country. If a flu pandemic happens the defence of the people is a national security issue.


The news has widely reported that by far most Americans like the provisions of the law. Even the insurance companies have stated they want to keep them if it had failed. What people don't like is having to buy something. Well you have to buy the whole national defence system don't you. People are irrational.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598