SCOTUS upholds entire Health Care Law...

Started by Staggerwing, June 28, 2012, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Azzurri

Brains:

From a business perspective, does this primarily effect companies under fifty-one people???

Staggerwing

#16
The law provides for some hefty tax incentives for small businesses to get insurance for their employees. It does also fine some businesses when their employees are forced to get insurance from one of the gov't exchanges.

QuoteSmall business owners
The rules and benefits small business owners face as a result of the health care law remain in place.
As CNN has chronicled, the law brought a mix of both. The director of the National Federation of Independent Business is one of the plaintiffs who pushed the court to strike down the law. Meanwhile, a group called Small Business Majority fought to protect the law, saying its loss could be a nightmare.
As of 2014, under the law, small firms with more than 50 full-time employees would have to provide coverage or face expensive fines.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politics/supreme-court-health-effects/index.html?hpt=hp_t1  <--- Read down aways for small business.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

W8taminute

Mr. Bigglesworth,

You're assuming our government actually gives a damn about it's people.  It does not.  What it does give a damn about is sucking the money out of the common man's pocket at the speed of light.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Azzurri

Quote from: W8taminute on June 28, 2012, 02:20:55 PM
Mr. Bigglesworth,

You're assuming our government actually gives a damn about it's people.  It does not.  What it does give a damn about is sucking the money out of the common man's pocket at the speed of light.

Respectfully disagree.

My Gov like me.

I contribute weekly!

W8taminute

^Right, that's what I mean!  :)

I contribute every week myself and it's always at gunpoint too.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Steelgrave

#20
Quote from: LongBlade on June 28, 2012, 01:20:09 PM
I have no comment beyond...



^In this thought I take solace.  Libs were predicting that the overthrow of Obamacare would galvanize the left at the polls. So now does it not go to reason that the conservatives will be fired up to vote? I'm telling you, the left might as well send their best union thugs my way to break my legs, because I'm at the polls as soon as they open.

Steelgrave

Oh, and here it is.....the evil, partisan Supreme Court is now a beacon of light and hope! And Chief Justice Roberts? Why, he's changed his legacy and gone from the Dark Side to the Light! Hell, if he had been Chief Justice in 2000, Al Gore might have been President!!!!!

And no, I'm not even making that last part up......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/28/obamacare-supreme-court-ruling-john-roberts-changes-his-legacy.html

son_of_montfort

I like how that Tea Party sign is redundant.. And uses Communist colors.  :P

Quote from: W8taminuteMr. Bigglesworth,

You're assuming our government actually gives a damn about it's people.  It does not.  What it does give a damn about is sucking the money out of the common man's pocket at the speed of light.

Respectfully, that seems a strange thing to argue here, particularly given that the other side (Tea Party) is mostly interested in protecting the tax shelters of the wealthy in some tickle-down-economics scheme. This insurance does provide a service, it isn't all a government money grab for enriching the coffers. And our government is made up of people (not Robots), so why would it not care about the constituents (even if the wealthy constituents get more consideration than the others)?

Back to the Tea Party and the OP, I don't think they will return in force by November. They can't (given the candidates are already set and they aren't all Tea Party). Mitt Romney could hardly be called Tea Party (especially given since his healthcare plan for Mass was an inspiration for Obamacare). If anything, the Tea Party may resurge after 2012 in time for the next rounds of elections over the next four years. But I think they will be dead letter by 2016 - recent polls have stated that the majority of Americans don't like the Tea Party, find them too radical, and blame them for slowing down economic recovery.

As to Obamacare and the SCOTUS. I'm not sure I was surprised, but it could have gone any way. I don't think the world is ending over it. We shall see how it plays out.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 28, 2012, 02:45:54 PM
Oh, and here it is.....the evil, partisan Supreme Court is now a beacon of light and hope! And Chief Justice Roberts? Why, he's changed his legacy and gone from the Dark Side to the Light! Hell, if he had been Chief Justice in 2000, Al Gore might have been President!!!!!

And no, I'm not even making that last part up......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/28/obamacare-supreme-court-ruling-john-roberts-changes-his-legacy.html

Steelie, simmer down, did you see the pedigree of the author of that editorial?

QuoteShrum, a Senior Fellow at NYU, was a longtime political consultant who worked on numerous Democratic campaigns, including Kerry-Edwards in 2004 and Al Gore's 2000 race for the White House.

I don't think you could have expected anything different from that source!  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Steelgrave

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 28, 2012, 02:46:18 PM
I like how that Tea Party sign is redundant.. And uses Communist colors.  :P

Dude....seriously? That's uncalled for  ???

son_of_montfort

2012... coming November, 2012. Silly talk. Would you have rather I said it was colored the red of bloody revolution? It's a joke, just to get a rise.

But I'm so glad my State Reps can be so rational about this:

Mike Pence Compares Obamacare ruling to 9/11
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/06/28/508450/mike-pence-obamacare/?mobile=nc

That's just plan poor taste.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Steelgrave

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 28, 2012, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 28, 2012, 02:45:54 PM
Oh, and here it is.....the evil, partisan Supreme Court is now a beacon of light and hope! And Chief Justice Roberts? Why, he's changed his legacy and gone from the Dark Side to the Light! Hell, if he had been Chief Justice in 2000, Al Gore might have been President!!!!!

And no, I'm not even making that last part up......

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/28/obamacare-supreme-court-ruling-john-roberts-changes-his-legacy.html

Steelie, simmer down, did you see the pedigree of the author of that editorial?

QuoteShrum, a Senior Fellow at NYU, was a longtime political consultant who worked on numerous Democratic campaigns, including Kerry-Edwards in 2004 and Al Gore's 2000 race for the White House.

I don't think you could have expected anything different from that source!  ;)

I'm calm. It's getting to be the time of year when I start tuning out the media anyway. I'm just going to vote, as I have in every Federal election in my lifetime.

son_of_montfort

You are a wise man. I'm going to follow suit!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Marty Ward

If they were going to uphold it, I'm glad they did it on the premise that it is a tax. Raising taxes on lower and middle class people is not a good way to get re-elected.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Steelgrave

Quote from: Marty Ward on June 28, 2012, 03:41:26 PM
If they were going to uphold it, I'm glad they did it on the premise that it is a tax. Raising taxes on lower and middle class people is not a good way to get re-elected.

Good point, Marty!