Main Menu

Squad

Started by IronX, December 15, 2015, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

I think also this game is set up to attract that kind of player - it's either by luck or determination you come across a working team in other shooters where this game has been specifically set up to say 'we only do team' and the elitist/snobbishness you speak of, hopefully imho makes the bunny hopping/I just want to be a sniper/lone wolf kill death ratio builder think 'fk that' and go back to call of duty - if the community consists of mature players and adults then fingers crossed that's what it will attract

Nefaro

#46
The drop-in/drop-out 50v50 is a huge plus for me. 

I get pretty tired of having to coordinate a schedule with numerous others.  Only to find that some don't show, we always end up waiting long stretches for others, some of whom end up taking off early anyway, and other such time wasting.  Or having keep dropping in & out of multiple small-pop servers in an attempt to find a proper large team v team ongoing battle with no idea where or what's going on.

It's great when I can just jump straight in, join a squad, go hook up and get to straight to gaming.  I'll suffer the occasional dumbass for all the time saved.  Not gettin any younger. 

Father Ted

Quote from: Nefaro on December 23, 2015, 01:06:25 PM
The drop-in/drop-out 50v50 is a huge plus for me. 

I get pretty tired of having to coordinate a schedule with numerous others.  Only to find that some don't show, we always end up waiting long stretches for others, some of whom end up taking off early anyway, and other such time wasting.  Or having keep dropping in & out of multiple small-pop servers in an attempt to find a proper large team v team ongoing battle with no idea where or what's going on.

It's great when I can just jump straight in, join a squad, go hook up and get to straight to gaming.  I'll suffer the occasional dumbass for all the time saved.  Not gettin any younger.

This.

Skoop

This is starting to make sense with the whole vibe of the game, just wish it wasn't 40bucks but it could also be money well spent if I'm still playing it 6 months to a year from now.

IronX

I was watching a vid of the game today and noticed how the squad leader can order barricades and the like to be built, which is pretty neat. I'm so tempted to pick it up, but it's almost C$50 and that's a little hard to swallow. Had it been going for $20 or so like similar EA games, I wouldn't hesitate.

jomni

Maybe the price is to scare a way the kiddies.

Toonces

Yeah, I would have already bought this at $20, but at $40 suddenly I'm Mr. Tightwad.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: jomni on December 23, 2015, 08:08:23 PM
Maybe the price is to scare a way the kiddies.

It's for a smaller devlopment company. I'm all about $40 knowing I'll easily get 40 hours out of it.

Nefaro

It's still being filled out though, right?

I can put off the purchase for awhile, until the odd shooter impulse strikes.

Toonces

So I watched some Youtube Let's Plays of Squad last night and I think I'm moving more to the Jarhead camp.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this game.  However, I'm not seeing enough meat here to justify buying it for $40 when so many other alternatives are already in my Steam library.

Without vehicles it looks like an awfully long walk to the fight.

The squad mechanics are interesting.  But, many games already have the ability to spawn on your squad leader (for example, RO2).  What Squad offers that I haven't seen before is the ability to create sandbags, barbed wire, and stuff like that in order to fortify your position.  Ok, that's kind of cool, but...

The communication mechanics weren't as apparent in the videos I watched.  In theory it sounds pretty cool, but I'm not a big talker in MP games anyway.

The graphics were ok, but nothing mind-blowing.

I think for now I'm going to stick with KotH and ARMA 3.  Maybe when this matures some more I'll revisit it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

Quote from: Toonces on December 24, 2015, 09:08:33 AM
Without vehicles it looks like an awfully long walk to the fight.

Not really a long walk if the squad knows how to keep their friends alive and the squad leader knows how to set up spawn points.

QuoteThe squad mechanics are interesting.  But, many games already have the ability to spawn on your squad leader (for example, RO2).

You cannot spawn from squad leader.  The leader has to set up a fixed spawn point.  The spawn point has limited spawn count.  So the leader needs to create a new one when it runs out.  Too bad if he dies and have to start from main base.

QuoteWhat Squad offers that I haven't seen berore is the ability to create sandbags, barbed wire, and stuff like that in order to fortify your position.  Ok, that's kind of cool, but...
ARMA can also do this.

QuoteI think for now I'm going to stick with KotH and ARMA 3.  Maybe when this matures some more I'll revisit it.

Yes go with KotH ARMA and have fun.  Squad can be more work / frustration than fun especially when there's no teamwork.  But I guess that's the point of the game.

Nefaro

For someone who hasn't played ARMA 3, and not really even ARMA 2 more than a few minutes, I'm wondering how it's multi-player differs from Squad in some specific areas.

Does it support 50 v 50 or higher team matches without too many network problems? 

The large outdoor battlefield is really what I'm looking for, specifically with a heavy infantry focus.  Fewer vehicles, the better, and generally only for short transport hops.  I suppose the latter would have to be a custom server-specific setting in ARMA?  I already have flight & tank sims which portray such things much more intimately, and I don't want some enemy yahoo in a tank or gunship just coming by and blowing the snot out of me, with little recourse, because he won a foot race against a teammate for the privilege. 

In other words, I want a good outdoor infantry-focused shooter with large teams, large outdoor maps, and any vehicles should be unobtrusive & background support.  I expected such a specific multi-player server would only be available in ARMA3 via specific user-run servers with custom settings, which wouldn't be a guarantee.  That's why I've not picked it up in past sales yet, despite knowing it's been the best option for a good modern-ish Tactical FPS.  Hoping my suppositions are wrong and someone can knock me off the fence.  :)

jomni

ARMA 3 MP depends on the scenario.  There's so many game types from small set-piece scenarios, cooperative (invade and annex) (my favorite), survival (Wasteland), roleplaying (ARMA-life), competitive capture with the same battlefield feel, Counterstrike money earning (King of the Hill), etc.  ARMA wins out in content.  But not all modes encourage realistic tactical team-play in a strict sense.

Jarhead0331

Other than the mechanics that encourage teamwork, what else exactly is "authentic" about Squad? Are ballistics modeled? Penetration? Body armor? Are there different types of rounds, ie. FMJ, JHP, etc.? Is terrain destructible?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Skoop

Quote from: Nefaro on December 24, 2015, 07:43:15 PM
For someone who hasn't played ARMA 3, and not really even ARMA 2 more than a few minutes, I'm wondering how it's multi-player differs from Squad in some specific areas.

Does it support 50 v 50 or higher team matches without too many network problems? 

The large outdoor battlefield is really what I'm looking for, specifically with a heavy infantry focus.  Fewer vehicles, the better, and generally only for short transport hops.  I suppose the latter would have to be a custom server-specific setting in ARMA?  I already have flight & tank sims which portray such things much more intimately, and I don't want some enemy yahoo in a tank or gunship just coming by and blowing the snot out of me, with little recourse, because he won a foot race against a teammate for the privilege. 

In other words, I want a good outdoor infantry-focused shooter with large teams, large outdoor maps, and any vehicles should be unobtrusive & background support.  I expected such a specific multi-player server would only be available in ARMA3 via specific user-run servers with custom settings, which wouldn't be a guarantee.  That's why I've not picked it up in past sales yet, despite knowing it's been the best option for a good modern-ish Tactical FPS.  Hoping my suppositions are wrong and someone can knock me off the fence.  :)

You should grab Arma 3 in the sale nef and give it a whirl, it's one of those games almost everyone should try atleast once.  Come to think of it, the Vietnam mods might be up your alley, not much armor in that conflict.  All kinds of infantry focused missions to download on armaholic.